PDA

View Full Version : interior dye

Maleek
03-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Summer is around the corner, and its time to get into gear and do some work on the celica. So i plan to dye my interior soon, and have a few questions. First off, which product do you guys suggest to dye the interior. the non plastic peices such as the arm rest thing etc, i know those dont really need to be " scuffed up " for the paint to stick, so i just plan to wash those really good and give it primer + base + clear.

But things that are plastic and vynil, such as dash and center console, trim peices around the windows, will need to be scuffed up for the paint to stick better? Like with a scotchbrite or w/e those things are called. Then could i just apply base and a clear?

Last question, dash, and the headliner are going to be dyed also. Would it be better if i pull them and then die. Carpet wouldnt be too bad, since id just have to remove seats, and the seat belt bolts and then rip it out. But for reinstallation, would i just spray some 3m glue and stick in back in? And for the headliner, how would i remove it to go and dye it? I check the BGB but couldnt find anything on how to remove the roof material.
Thanks guys

hemlocke
03-31-2008, 02:49 AM
I'm not sure about the headliner, yet, but I'll be doing that soon, and it might be easier, unless your carpet is in awesome shape, to just buy the correct color new formed carpet for $110.

Carolina91GT-S
03-31-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm not sure about the headliner, yet, but I'll be doing that soon, and it might be easier, unless your carpet is in awesome shape, to just buy the correct color new formed carpet for $110.

Where do you get the new formed carpet for $110?

VikingJZ
03-31-2008, 05:17 AM
Look into SEM dye.

Good shit.

For cheap do Duplicolor....not bad but no where close to SEM

Maleek
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks, any idea how to remove the headliner and about the carpet issue?

ciento44
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Carpets/Toyota/Celica/1ACCS00982/26380/

Black carpet. O snaps.

Maleek
04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
bump...anybody know about the headliner and carpet?

celicasilfee
04-06-2008, 04:34 PM
i did both my headliner and carpet with that spray can vinyl & faric paint that you can buy from any Advance Auto. To be honest, I was really surprised how nice it was. It dried a little hard, but for the price and effort I put into it- it was well worth it. Just make sure you take everything out correctly. It only cost me like $15-20 to do it.

Carolina91GT-S
04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Carpets/Toyota/Celica/1ACCS00982/26380/

Black carpet. O snaps.

try this place too
http://www.auto-interior.com/toyota3.htm?gclid=CJGUg7zrmI4CFQzXgAod2lIgTg#Celic a

Less expensive prices and less expensive shipping.

I'm still looking for the molded carpet for $110

hemlocke
04-06-2008, 05:44 PM
They were selling it on E-Bay, but it is no longer listed. This is the closest I have found since then:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/autocarpet.asp?Itemid=8111&MakeId=28&ModelId=405

Maleek
04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
how did you go about taking the headliner out??

i did both my headliner and carpet with that spray can vinyl & faric paint that you can buy from any Advance Auto. To be honest, I was really surprised how nice it was. It dried a little hard, but for the price and effort I put into it- it was well worth it. Just make sure you take everything out correctly. It only cost me like $15-20 to do it.

Mr. Babb
04-06-2008, 06:10 PM
how did you go about taking the headliner out??

Its a real PITA. in my coupe I had to take out the apillar trim, the sunroof controls, the rear view mirror, the plastic around the little window in the back, and i'm sure there more stuff that I'm forgetting

celicasilfee
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
yep- that's pretty much how I did it. Just be careful witht he plastic trim piece around the back window... I broke a couple of the snaps & ended up having to get a new one cuz it kept sagging