PDA

View Full Version : What could possibly leak that much?

Newbster
03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I have an oil leak, that leaks about a drop every 2 seconds. All down my street there are spots leading to my house. It is that bad. When I wake up in the morning there is a fistsize puddle waiting everyday. It is coming from the passenger side. Looks to be around the lower timing belt area. Can someone tell me what can possible leak like that, nonstop, every 2 seconds, as long as I'm driving. Can someone give me some ideas, I'm going to buy any and all the parts I can to fix this. Thanks.

Galcobar
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Oil pump seal?

anthony560
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
could be your oil pan or it could be your rear seals. When u get your clutch replaced just have your rear seals redone.

zmile06
03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
If it's leaking that bad u should be avble to find it with a mirror a light and some patience.

Main seal in timing belt cover? That could be giving way i think. But if it's coming out that fast there has to be pressure pushing it out. Oil pump is the best bet i would think.

I would in complete honesty put a CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN pan down there catch the oil keep looking around and re use the oil? Or is that a no no? Anyways, i look long and hard. =) Don't buy parts are replace stuff if it's leaking that bad u should be able to spot it.

Lonestag
03-30-2008, 01:03 AM
I had a headgasket go that looked for sure like it was the oil pan until the mechanic really got down there and figured out what it really was. And that leak was furious! I would literally lose all my oil on a 70 mile drive.

grayscale
03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
It could be anything, just because it's really bad doesn't point to anything, it just means that something is really shot out. Most obvious leak possibilities for the passenger side-
-valve cover gasket
-head gasket
-oil pan seal
-oil pump gasket
-crankshaft seal
-camshaft seal
If you're it's coming from the lower timing cover area then I would say crankshaft seal or oil pump gasket.
Here's the thing though- if you're really going to go out and buy all the parts suggested then I would also suggest a moderate engine overhaul. You can do this without pulling the engine. I just think it would be a waste for you to go through all the trouble of sealing the leak and not having done a bunch of other stuff while you were in there.

Carolina91GT-S
03-30-2008, 03:05 AM
Mine was just like that when I had a monster leak. I was the oil pump seal and oil pump gaskets.

sheep
03-31-2008, 05:24 AM
my oil sending unit was leaking pretty bad, especially when the engine was warm. i could stop and look underneith my car and it would be a steady drip, $10 for the part and 2 hours later it has slowed down ALOT since now its only leaking from the main seal, which they want to charge up the A** to fix