PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar

Gayle
03-29-2008, 04:07 PM
What is everyone's take on the clay bar? I heard that if you don't do it right it can ruin the paint. I don't want my black to fade! Should I just stick with using the Mother's Caranuba wax?

Lagos
03-29-2008, 09:18 PM
it wont damage your paint in anyway. its very easy to do and makes a HUGE difference.
Wash the car.
Clay bar.
then wax.

Youll have a brand new looking car.

extremeskillz
03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
:stupid:

Galcobar
03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, like anything else, if you are an idiot you can have negative consequences.

Idiocy such as not lubricating the clay bar (soapy water, quick detailer, etc), folding it periodically so you aren't rubbing the paint with a side covered in debris, or dropping it in gravel and not tossing the entire piece.

Carolina91GT-S
03-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Where do I find a clay bar and where is a good tutorial on how to use one of these things?

Gary
03-31-2008, 03:05 AM
You can find Mothers at your local Walmart.
I use Clay Magic bought from Autozone.
Just follow the instruction that comes with it.
If you do it right, you should be able to feel it.
The surface should feel perfectly smooth, like glass.

Lagos
03-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Where do I find a clay bar and where is a good tutorial on how to use one of these things?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

grayscale
04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I have to admit, clay bars don't always work as well on different colors. It's not as noticeable on some. I have original charcoal gray paint. I've clayed it a few times in the past year. It leaves the surface ridiculously smooth like Gary said, but on the gray color it doesn't stand out to the eyes as much. Gary's car looks like a black mirror, and although I know he takes care of his 100x better than I do mine, I had hoped for a similar result. I think the metallic fleck in the gray is what keeps it from appearing that way. I do have to say though, it's much better for your paint for removing road grime than that bug and tar remover junk and the like.

Trance4c
04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, I don't think it has so much to do with the color.. but probably the finish of the paint job. A clay bar will work the same now matter what surface, now, how that surface reacts to it will determine the result. For instance, you take it to a part that needs to be cleared and is rough, obviously.. its not going to work as well as a nice part that has a great clear coat and in good shape.

Gary
04-02-2008, 02:26 AM
I think you are mistaken the purpose of clay bar.
It is used to remove the impurities on the paint surface.
From what you described, it actually did the job.
Like I said if you do it right, you will "feel" it (by touching)
Then you will need to wax it to protect the paint and bring out the glossy "look".

Lagos
04-02-2008, 02:31 AM
I have to admit, clay bars don't always work as well on different colors. It's not as noticeable on some. I have original charcoal gray paint. I've clayed it a few times in the past year. It leaves the surface ridiculously smooth like Gary said, but on the gray color it doesn't stand out to the eyes as much. Gary's car looks like a black mirror, and although I know he takes care of his 100x better than I do mine, I had hoped for a similar result. I think the metallic fleck in the gray is what keeps it from appearing that way. I do have to say though, it's much better for your paint for removing road grime than that bug and tar remover junk and the like.

If you want more shine, you can buff the car after its been clayed. I recommend paying someone that knows what they are doing for buffing. Its very easy to mess up your paint if you dont do it right. I already did some damage to mine going crazy with the buffer.

Or like gary said, put some good wax on it. Claybar is just part of the process. It does a lot to bring back the finish to your car, but you also need to at least wax it after the clay.

Shadowlife25
04-02-2008, 04:23 AM
BTW, any clay will work. Try the PlayDoh stuff, it's cheap and IS exactly the same.

VikingJZ
04-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Clay Bar rocks.

I need to do it again.

grayscale
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Yep, did a lot of waxing too, Meguiars gold class. But yes, a lot of it is just the condition of the paint and all itself.

Trance4c
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Then you will need to wax it to protect the paint and bring out the glossy "look".

I'm not sure if you meant me or not.. but no, I'm not mistaken the purpose of the clay bar. That was my point, uncleared surface thats rough would not benefit from being claybar'ed, thus.. not to mistake the purpose. It is a finishing compound used to remove the impurities from a paint job. My example was just that it is not due to the color of paint the results, but more likely the work in the actual job. That way, if the paint job is of the quality if needs to be for the purpose of the claybar, you will get the desired outcome. If not, well.. then your not using the right product for its purpose.

celica9303
04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Claybar didn't do anything for my car I just need a new paint job extreme lack of clear coat sucks

Audi90Quattro
04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Claybars also work great for glass too!! Use a claybar on windows to remove stubborn water spots.

Shadowlife25
04-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Claybars also work great for glass too!! Use a claybar on windows to remove stubborn water spots.

Good tip! :)

Gary
04-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I meant Cannon, not you Clayton. :)

Trance4c
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I meant Cannon, not you Clayton. :)

I figured haha.. but couldn't tell.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Ya, we use the clay bar at work to remove overspray from a car, ...you dont necessarily need to use a clay bar unless you have something like that or a rough area(s) on your paint ,but just clean your car very well and then give it a good wax job and you should be fine, if you really want you can do it but just make sure you wet the surface while you are doing it and as you scrub over places you will feel it get smoother and thats when you can move onto the next area i guess you can say...

Audi90Quattro
04-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Quickest,easiest, best method for determining if your car needs to be clayed is to put your hand in a plastic bag and run your fingers across a panel. A contaminant free panel should let the bag glide right over. Any fallout is easily felt by your fingers and should be gone after you clay the vehicle. Remember too that there is more than one type of clay. The meguiars kit you buy at the store has a medium grade to it. A car may need only a fine clay, or a coarser clay depending on what is on the paint.

I would suggest only using the heavier clays if you plan to follow with a good polish as it can leave marring and scratches on softer paints.