PDA

View Full Version : On the off chance that one of you know circa 1974 mechanics...

Lonestag
03-26-2008, 03:57 AM
My band drives a 74 dodge sportsman B100 Van.
We just lost the transmission and I would really appreciate some help in figuring out what kind of transmission I could swap in as a replacement.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!!

Help me celicatech.com, your my only hope...

If you guys can't tell me about decade old american car parts, I don't know who could.

Murgatroy
03-26-2008, 04:32 AM
I am assuming it is a 318 powered van? It might have a 360, but most likely a 318.

If it is a V8 it will have a Torqueflite A-727.

If it is a slant six, (straight six) it will have a Torqueflite A-904.

These transmissions will come out of any Dodge Truck with a comparable engine, and most full-mid size Mopar cars with a comparable engine.

If you go with a truck tranny, you will be able to use trannies from the late 60s up to the early 90s.

It is a simple affair to swap, first drain the tranny, remove the dust cover (if it has one) remove the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate (there should be 6-8) remove the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand to get to all of them, remove the driveshaft, disconnect the shift linkage, remove the tranny mount bolts, slide the tranny back, remove, install in the reverse order.

As far as I know, no Dodge van came with a manual tranny, so I am sure yours is an automatic, you didn't specify.

I am well versed in all Circa 1960-1980s domestics. I just so happen to have a `67 New Yorker.

Good luck!

VikingJZ
03-26-2008, 04:46 AM
^Murg knows his shizz.

Most of the domestics from that era used TONS of the same parts. Most yards will have them.

Lonestag
03-26-2008, 04:56 AM
You are right about me having an automatic tranny but, oddly enough, that year did in fact have the option of coming in manual (which I think would be sweet to have).
So there is a 94 van sitting in a local u-pullit yard which has a tranny that looks pretty similar. Is there any easy way for me to physically identify (serial numbers, symbols, ect...) if that tranny is one that I could use?

By the way, I suspected you would be the one to pull through for me on this Murg, your a lifesaver.

Murgatroy
03-26-2008, 05:01 AM
It is most likely an OD tranny, meaning it is a 4 speed, not a 3 speed, it is a 727 derivative. I can't promise it will or won't work. It will also have a lock up converter, after 1978ish Mopar went with that style for fuel economy purposes.

I would try to stick with finding a half ton truck 727, it shouldn't be too hard to find, and will be a straight drop in. I am pretty sure you got a 727, the 904 was more of a light duty tranny.