PDA

View Full Version : RHD cars in North America

liplip
03-26-2008, 02:10 AM
To the people that own one, how do you go through drive thru restaurant if you have no passenger?

car
03-26-2008, 02:14 AM
LOL, nice, you just walk in? Or make them reach in really far...

Luda
03-26-2008, 02:47 AM
go thru in reverse

celicaGT90_05
03-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Id do that too, that would be fun, especially have people pull in....behind you I guess and have an odd look on their face

Mr. Babb
03-26-2008, 03:21 AM
umm.............I just go to the ones that have drive thrus on both sides of the building. when I drive it to school I stretch across the seat to swipe my id to get out of the parking deck

Blackcloud
03-26-2008, 03:35 AM
dont use the drive through?

tuner4life
03-26-2008, 05:09 AM
If I had a RHD car, I wouldnt eat in it.

Luni
03-26-2008, 06:03 AM
First off, RHD swaps are gay.

Second off a RHD car is ONLY cool if you cant get the car in america otherwise (like a skyline or something like that)

Maybe a true GT4RC or ST205 is acceptable too, but people who actually RHD swap are idiots and should be shot.

If you fall into that realm, sorry, this is my site, and as such is there for me to express and force my opinions onto you if youre registered here :p

ScottGT-S
03-26-2008, 06:11 AM
take a passenger.. but I hardly ever eat fast food, which is good for my car and good for me lol. I'll agree with Luni on converting your lhd to rhd - its ghey and fanboy-status. Dont do it!

but ya its not too bad.... the best thing about rhd, is halloween time.... I drove around town with a glow-in-the-dark skeleton, and put him in the pass seat... turned a few heads to say the least :)

when I ride in my lolo I dont have time for food

http://img223.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/7/7/5/9/blackjack38_2006-img600x450-1204441129blackjack38_2006-img600x450-1159588859041.jpg
http://img223.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/7/7/5/9/blackjack38_2006-img600x450-1204441136blackjack38_2006-img600x450-1159588871pap_0055.jpg

celicaGT90_05
03-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Second off a RHD car is ONLY cool if you cant get the car in america otherwise (like a skyline or something like that)

Maybe a true GT4RC or ST205 is acceptable too, but people who actually RHD swap are idiots and should be shot.

If you fall into that realm, sorry, this is my site, and as such is there for me to express and force my opinions onto you if youre registered here :p

wow kinda harsh lol but I do fail to see the point of doing a swap, what a lot of freakin work. No offense, if people wunna do it I dont care, I just wouldnt personally. The only 2 cars I want that are RHD is an R34 and WAS a Holden Ute til they brought a version to the states.

Mr. Babb
03-26-2008, 02:04 PM

thanks man.......at least I now know how you feel about me:wavesad:

burnyd
03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
go through in reverse y0!

ciento44
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
There are quite a few RHD hondas locally...

Only one was a swap, though. There are legitimate SiR-IIs and such around here. True RHD DA GSRs from Japan and so on so forth.

But for the most part... yeah... ghey.

Conrad_Turbo
03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Tons of RHD imported cars here, they come into the country so cheap compared to the NA equiv. They aren't as desired as the LHD version, only appeals to particular people who want a particular option or something that wasn't available here. You can buy a RHD 2nd Gen MR2 for $6k...as compared to other LHD cars that sell for over $15k here. However our car prices here are very high as compared to the US, which is why I am coming down in the near future to pick up a '00+ Tacoma. :D

4thgenceli
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I know a guy in AZ who has an imported gt4. Freakin schweet too.

And ScottGT-S.... please for the love of GOD say that you don't run that 4g like that...

Trance4c
03-26-2008, 08:03 PM
meh.. Roommate an I put together an S13 red with black top from frame up. He wanted the full JDM Silvia conversion, including the RHD setup. Now.... I personally think its retarded. But thats just me. Anything that makes driving, especially in what is to be a 'performance vehicle' MORE dangerous, especially to others on the road, is just stupid.

ciento44
03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't really see how it makes it more dangerous... You just adapt to it.

Unless you're one of those morons that will go around and pass in a RHD car when you can't see what's coming on the other side. That's always awesome.

Trance4c
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't really see how it makes it more dangerous... You just adapt to it.

Unless you're one of those morons that will go around and pass in a RHD car when you can't see what's coming on the other side. That's always awesome.

Well.. you just gave one great example of how it is more dangerous. Regardless of adapting to risk, the risk is still greater, so the danger level is always more.

Thats just it though, your on the freeway and even to stick yourself out there to look is now no longer 6 inches.. its 2-2.5 ft! That is a very big difference, I'm not even talking half the car width here in that rough measurement. Imagine what 2 ft of 2200lb car would do with a speeding Cadillac going by? It would be seriously much more dangerous than in a correct LHD car.

btw.. this was and is my friends point of view given as he still drives his RHD S13. Its not worth the 'cool' aspect, but it is to him even though he acknowledges the issues.

ciento44
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Well.. you just gave one great example of how it is more dangerous. Regardless of adapting to risk, the risk is still greater, so the danger level is always more.

Thats just it though, your on the freeway and even to stick yourself out there to look is now no longer 6 inches.. its 2-2.5 ft! That is a very big difference, I'm not even talking half the car width here in that rough measurement. Imagine what 2 ft of 2200lb car would do with a speeding Cadillac going by? It would be seriously much more dangerous than in a correct LHD car.

btw.. this was and is my friends point of view given as he still drives his RHD S13. Its not worth the 'cool' aspect, but it is to him even though he acknowledges the issues.

Agreed. And that's why i don't like the idea of the people locally that daily drive their RHD hondas. It's fine in a car that may only see cruises, meets, track days, shows, etc. But i would never drive one daily.

VikingJZ
03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I think that RHD in countries that are LHD are stupid and dangerous. Thankfully around here there are only mail Jeeps that are RHD

Supra Goddess
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Meh. Despite the number of people who think it's stupid/lame/dangerous, etc, I've recently become curious about doing a RHD conversion on a Supra L-type... not because it's an "in thing" or something to do to extra rice it out, I am interested in the challenge of it. The challege of sourcing the parts, cutting the firewall, welding, and then the challenge of becoming used to it once it's on the road.

Just like how I learned to drive in the 1st place, I'd be very cautious and more than likely only drive on low traffic roads for awhile.

But I doubt I'll ever get to do that due to financial issues.

ScottGT-S
03-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Japan has been a mix of both RHD and LHD for YEARS (90% of the Merc, BMWs, etc, are LHD). The same goes for many parts of Europe. From a drivers point of view it can actually be safer, during a head-on (for the driver, that is). You are less exposed to oncoming traffic. Left-hand turns are about the only "challenges" but they are not very significant at all. If anything, we are the safer drivers out there since we take extra precaution while on the road.

Ha and no that is not my rhd 4th celica... threw it up for laffs

Conrad_Turbo
03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Thats just it though, your on the freeway and even to stick yourself out there to look is now no longer 6 inches.. its 2-2.5 ft!

Simple geometry shows how the risk is higher by sitting that far away. Not just passing, but even a basic left hand turn in an intersection.

I've driven a few customer RHD cars and the thing that always gets me is backing up...it's like crossing your eyes. :laugh:

bitskyline
03-27-2008, 04:40 AM
i just park and go inside. or if its a small burger place with an open drive through i just back in.

and i prefer my rhd over lhd cuz there is no a pillar to the left of your face and you can see the road clear. can paralell park easier, confuse cops when they pull you over, up close to another driver when the cut you off you can bitch at them easyer, but left hand turns at busy intersections and singal lane passing SUX!!! no doubt worst part about it.

ScottGT-S
03-27-2008, 05:00 AM
so true

paralell parking is a BREEZE, and makes you look PRO when doing it... almost perfect every time lol.

+1 on cussing people out, road-rage is so much funner now since you can almost choke the dude in the slow lane without even exiting your vehicle ;)

Trance4c
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I've recently become curious

Well.. thats good.. :lolhittin :wiggle:

I am interested in the challenge of it. The challege of sourcing the parts, cutting the firewall, welding, and then the challenge of becoming used to it once it's on the road.

I can think of other things to do with the Supra that would be challenging, yet much more rewardable!

Supra Goddess
03-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I can think of other things to do with the Supra that would be challenging, yet much more rewardable!

Well the point is to have two Supras, one to keep LHD and for normal play and the other to have RHD and keep semi-stock otherwise. Certainly wouldn't want to boost it if I am not comfortable driving it.

But I'm not interested in boosting anything right now, so that challenge could be left for another time :)

hobbie2k
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
:Off Topic: Supra Goddess, you've got the best sig on this site.

:On Topic: I've never driven a RHD in America (so I can't comment on the specific issues of driving one in a LHD country), but have owned a couple in Australia and can safely say that the hardest part of driving on the right is the turn signal. Every American friend of mine who drove my car in Australia would accidentally turn on the windshield wipers while trying to signal, and it would always scare the crap out of them (kinda funny, actually). Same thing for every Australian I've had visit me in America... Everything else (pedals, shifting, etc...) is easy.