PDA

View Full Version : Red light camera's FTL!

505celicaGT
03-25-2008, 03:54 AM
So has any one dealed with these red light cameras? they been up in my part of town for a year or two and i gotta tell you they really suck if your not paying attn.

Well here is what it looks like getting caught speeding. (for a celica at least)

red light/speeding camera shot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/bigtex84/other%20car%20stuff/sendbinary.jpg)

but i was showing this lexus what celicas were all about. and i was kinda late for work.

Maleek
03-25-2008, 03:57 AM
sucks, i think i got caught by one the other day. i guess ill find out soon enough

505celicaGT
03-25-2008, 04:07 AM
yeah it happend feb 23 a month later i find out. its a bummer to get it in teh mail. =(

geebes
03-25-2008, 04:12 AM
Caught speeding?? WTF? I thought it was only for running reds?

Chris
03-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Looks like they got you for driving too sexy of a car. Sucks when that happens.

TheNefariousOne
03-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Big brother is watching...

VikingJZ
03-25-2008, 04:38 AM
We don't have those where I live. However, when I travel I have my license plate angled downward and is nearly impossible to see. I even have clear duct tape over the numbers that skews it with a camera (just did that today)

tuner4life
03-25-2008, 04:38 AM
That sux man...

What is the sweet looking body kitted white car in the far right of the pic??

celica91gts
03-25-2008, 04:40 AM
i believe that was the lexus he was showing up.

Galcobar
03-25-2008, 04:51 AM
You know, having had to attend a number of accidents -- I have absolutely no problem with the concept of red-light cameras. Idiots who've run red lights have caused far too much pain and suffering for me to have any sympathy for those caught by a camera.

The consequences of being ticketed are much less severe than those of being in an accident, but there's some hope the message gets through without the requirement of blood.

That said, if it's being done, it should be a dual-camera system, one which photographs the driver as well as the car. Mail the rear photo with the plate and if the owner wants to contest it, they can be shown the front photo to determine the driver at fault.

tuner4life
03-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Just get some of that spray coating over your plate, I've heard it really helps hide your plate from those cameras.

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 05:00 AM
we dont have any around here, though 20 minutes away they are crammed full of those cameras. On my way to school, there are none and so far I dont beleive there are any around town. I am becoming very warry of them though, they are becoming EXTREMELY popular. I actually saw someone completely blow a red light 2 miles from here at an intersection that was made fairly recently, I dont think there are any cameras there though

Is that white car the lexus?

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 05:04 AM
I guess this is the story about traffic cameras in our area:

"Red light cameras on Chillicothe streets may be a few months away - if they come at all.

City officials are planning to wait on making a decision until the Ohio Supreme Court hands down a ruling judging the constitutionality of such cameras and the fining process that follows."

505celicaGT
03-25-2008, 05:15 AM
They do mail you 3 pictures.
One just before the 4 way (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/bigtex84/other%20car%20stuff/sendbinary2.jpg)

in the 4 way (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/bigtex84/other%20car%20stuff/sendbinary.jpg)

And one of the plate (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/bigtex84/other%20car%20stuff/PLATES.jpg)

but to contest it, its kinda wierd. (if i wasnt the driver..)
i quote
i sold the vehicle prior to the violation date to the person named below
the vehicle was stolen prior to the violation date.
the person named below was the driver of the vehicle.

but if you tell lies it falls under perjury and no one wants that.

i do agree with Galcobar i do relize the danger involved with this. i had a red light violation before and i tell you i never wanted this to happen again. it was 300 bucks!!!. i just didnt slam the brakes in time to dodge the speeding fine. >.>
light was green btw

where about do you live celicagt90? i used to live in crap town huber heights.

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 05:27 AM
5th word in the article I quoted lol but is the white care the one you were showin up?

505celicaGT
03-25-2008, 05:38 AM
ohhh okay lol it was a lexus gs300

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 05:44 AM
that doesnt tell me if it was the white car in the pic you first posted

cs363
03-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Red light cameras that moonlight as speed cameras?? :wtf:

Hope the NZ Government don't hear about this!!
I have no problem with red light cameras, people that run red lights cause accidents - period. Speed cameras are just revenue collectors and have virtually zero impact on road safety.
Now, if someone would just invent idiot cam we'd have way safer roads....

Murgatroy
03-25-2008, 07:23 AM
I have no problems with traffic cams. I applaud them, I see too many stupid schmucks out driving, speeding and running redlights. I hope they all get caught.

As for all the methods of 'avoiding' a redlight camera, not only are they illegal, as shown on a recent Mythbusters episode, they don't work.

85gtsblackman
03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
now what happens if you loan yor car to someone and they do that, are u fucked

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
the only thing about them is that it makes me wonder if Im makin any mistake in my driving and if I'm gonna suddenly recieve a ticket in the mail, granted I'm a good driver and pay attention to what Im doin, I just dont know how strict they may decide to be. Although, I am pretty certain I may have seen one person get a ticket thanks to a camera. As soon as the light went green, then took the left turn with me of course having the right of way, failure to yield to oncoming traffic maybe? I had a friend with me and was like wow that was real slick wasnt it? lol was in an area loaded with traffic cams

extremeskillz
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
na, but they are getting bad reviews around here. the government just needs to fork you even more and people are pissed.

The Captain
03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
It's already proven that red light cams increase accidents where they are installed. How? Lots of rear end crashes, do to people over reacting to an amber caution. All they are is money making cash cows for local municipalities. I approached an intersection at 50mph when the light turned amber 50 yards away. The idiot in front of me slammed on the brakes an nearly caused a 15 car pile up. Take the cops off the f*cking highway where everybody is going the same direction safely and put them at problem intersections. Speed does not kill, shitty drivers do and this country's driving requirements are a joke. Accidents per mile on the highway are nothing compared to one intersection.

I agree that people who blatantly run lights should be given reckless driving tickets. Those bastards kill people. Sometimes it's safer to proceed at the end of an amber caution than it is to slam on the brakes. That's why there is a delay in the red to green.

What's next, a camera in your bedroom to enforce sodomy laws for two consenting adults having sex? Better check local laws before you give/receive that next BJ.

They tried speed cameras in NJ. Locals threw cinder blocks at them from the back of pickups at 70mph. It was a riot seeing the last picture the camera took of a block flying through the air.

The government does not care about safety. It's all about the money. ALWAYS!

"He who gives up freedom for security will have neither" -Benjamin Franklin

I feel better now.

cs363
03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
^^^ X 2 (at least!) :)

Hmmm, I feel better now too!

T-spoon
03-25-2008, 03:31 PM
It's already proven that red light cams increase accidents where they are installed. How? Lots of rear end crashes, do to people over reacting to an amber caution. All they are is money making cash cows for local municipalities. I approached an intersection at 50mph when the light turned amber 50 yards away. The idiot in front of me slammed on the brakes an nearly caused a 15 car pile up. Take the cops off the f*cking highway where everybody is going the same direction safely and put them at problem intersections. Speed does not kill, shitty drivers do and this country's driving requirements are a joke. Accidents per mile on the highway are nothing compared to one intersection.

I agree that people who blatantly run lights should be given reckless driving tickets. Those bastards kill people. Sometimes it's safer to proceed at the end of an amber caution than it is to slam on the brakes. That's why there is a delay in the red to green.

What's next, a camera in your bedroom to enforce sodomy laws for two consenting adults having sex? Better check local laws before you give/receive that next BJ.

They tried speed cameras in NJ. Locals threw cinder blocks at them from the back of pickups at 70mph. It was a riot seeing the last picture the camera took of a block flying through the air.

I feel better now.

This is actually quite true. When they added these cameras in Houston, what they ended up with was a mess. Rear-end accidents at intersections shot up, while accidents caused by running red lights changed very little if at all. People were so afraid of getting a ticket, not sure what would be considered running the red that there was a lot of brake slamming. It also turned out that it's difficult to actually prove someone ran the red from a camera unless it's firing several shots per car, which gets expensive, because the law is that if you are in the intersection before the light actually turns red you didn't run it, or it's questionable enough not to ticket. In fact they had to dismiss a ton of tickets because it wasn't clear. What I never saw a change in is the people who were blatantly running red lights, so badly that the other direction was already green. People who do that do it anywhere whether cameras are there or not. If they were really thinking they'd be aware of the danger in the first place. We don't need to encourage overly timid drivers to get even worse, slowing down to 10 under the speed limit for every green light because it might turn yellow and then BAM standing the car on the nose if it does turn yellow.

As far as catching speeding with it.. well.. it won't be too long before your car simply reports you when you speed and you get an e-ticket. Cameras are not cutting edge tech.

4thgenceli
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm biased both ways on these.

I was caught at a redlight camera. I ran outta gas, and the station was on the other side of the intersection. So I coasted thru to the gas station (was drivign a blazer, so pushing was outta the question). Received a ticket, nad to pay a 300 fine and attend a driving class (no points).

But they just recently installed speeding cameras on a section of the Loop 101 from about 52nd street thru the majority of Scottsdale. I had a co-worker who's husband was doing 110mph. Clicked every camera. Over 2k in fines. The cops went to his house and arrested him as well.

I think they're good, but the GODDAMN FLASH. There's 3 fucking bulbs PER CAMERA. So that's 6 flash bulbs going off TWICE. If you're driving thru that, you can't see SHIT for a good 30 seconds afterwards.

extremeskillz
03-25-2008, 03:47 PM

I feel better now.

Ive read about this and is true and agree. Government just keeps getting into everyones business and its starting to get tiring. Thats a topic of debate around here.

extremeskillz
03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Noah looked up hopefully. "You mean you're not going to destroy the earth, Lord?"

"No," The Lord said sadly. "I don't have to. The government already has."

^lol

hobbie2k
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I was one of those guys who got rear-ended because of a red-light camera. I was driving my Silvia to my girlfriend's work place. It was about 7pm and the sun was right in my eyes. There is a weird intersection on the way there with two T-junctions about 100ft apart, and it has a well-known camera. Because the two intersections are so close together, the rear stop light is shaded so you can't see it till you're in the first intersection. This is done so you don't confuse the two lights.

Anyhow, I was driving the speed limit, 60kph (about 35mph) with a lady in a BMW tailgating me. I couldn't see the first set of lights (because of the sun) till I was right under them, and they turned yellow, so I went through, the problem was that the second set also turned yellow at the same time, so I had to hit the brakes. It was a quick stop, but far from a panic stop. Unfortunately, the tailgater behind me didn't know how to control her car and she skidded right into me.

I probably would have just gone through had there not been a camera there.

I'd also like to point out that most of the time when people run red lights or stop signs, causing accidents, it's not because they are being deliberately reckless, or that they don't care. It's because they aren't paying attention, they're tired after a long day, they overestimate how much traction they have and skid through, etc... Cameras won't fix that.

Most of the people you see who run reds deliberately are just trying to beat the yellow, and while that really pisses me off when people do that, I've only once seen a near-accident because of it (when a girl in an SUV nearly hit me as I walked across the street, of course she had the gall to stop in the street get out and scream at me for being a pedestrian in the crosswalk with a crossing light), and I see people running reds all the time.

505celicaGT
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah i think this is all true. i have seen a crash that happened like that. except 2 vans rolled threw the intersection due to slamming on the brakes. might of been safe just to run the darn light.

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 07:35 PM
actually, gt4rcdude has a very valid point, you have the one guy you can say is unassured cleared distance but at the same time...brake checking? That must be why they are so iffy about having it develop in our city. Thats actually why the window on the ranger got busted out, now I didnt slam the brakes mind you, but i was coming up to a light and it went yellow when it was iffy if I'd make it so I hit the brakes just a little bit harder than normal. Now the motor in the back may have fallen over during normal braking, but this caused it to continue. We didnt realize at the time that the motor was terribly off ballance to one side but we sure did find out. I know, it sounds foolish and we should have double checked, but I didnt think about it at the time. Luckily, nothing major and is already fixed, but still

celicaracing71
03-26-2008, 12:42 AM
yea we got sum of them cameras around here. The locals wanted them so they could eat more donuts and not have to patrol......so the cameras got put up and nothing happens. My friend whoes an idiot ran a red in my car once (i dont let him drive it anymore) and i nvr got a ticket from it. Couple weeks later i found out that they are really fake cameras. They just put them up so that the local idiots will think that they will get a ticket. And lets hope that the world doesnt come to a point where your car reports your speeding, cuz that just wouldnt be any fun.

Ads28
03-26-2008, 03:39 AM
ahh one of the joys of living in a smaller town and in ontario ive never even seen a redlight camera, or speed cam in my life, if i ever moved to a place that had lots id be screwed i think haha..and yeaa Celicaracing71, i can see that comming, all this GPS, on-star,vehicle tracking shit, i wouldnt doubt it if your vehicle itself sends a print out to the cops if you speed

celicaGT90_05
03-26-2008, 04:23 AM
tis why I love my older beauties, much easier to work on and maintain, but I dont have to worry about computers much and clearing codes, or have someone watching my car...I like to watch my car, I dont like someone else to watch my car

tuner4life
03-26-2008, 04:51 AM
I've never been caught by a camera, but I was pulled over for going through a yellow light that turned red slightly before I got all the way through, so there was a cop a few cars behind me, who turns his lights on, runs the red light (obviously really red at this point, and proceeds to go flying up us31 in South Bend at some ridiculous pace to catch up with me.) I was in the Geo, so I looked innocent enough so I got off with a warning, But I wanted so bad to ask the cop: "If I ran the light, WTF did you just do to the goddam light seeing as how you were several vehicles behind me?? That's real safe Jackass!!"

Lonestag
03-26-2008, 05:08 AM
Man, I hate speed cams,
and most of the other laws that are currently protecting me from myself...
guess thats why I vote libertarian...

But i'm so far out that half our cops probebly don't even know what a digital camera is.
And i'm a half hour from the closest red light. So yeah, FTW

celicaGT90_05
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I've never been caught by a camera, but I was pulled over for going through a yellow light that turned red slightly before I got all the way through, so there was a cop a few cars behind me, who turns his lights on, runs the red light (obviously really red at this point, and proceeds to go flying up us31 in South Bend at some ridiculous pace to catch up with me.) I was in the Geo, so I looked innocent enough so I got off with a warning, But I wanted so bad to ask the cop: "If I ran the light, WTF did you just do to the goddam light seeing as how you were several vehicles behind me?? That's real safe Jackass!!"

It's ridiculous how strict some are, they need to understand not all lights are set up well. There are some lights in this area that turn yellow when you have no chance of stopping, but go red when you're only half way through. If the light has been yellow and you had plenty of time, then you're in the middle when its red, yeah sure why not get pulled over? But when you're at the tail end and it turns red, what are you hurting? Not a thing

VikingJZ
03-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Cops do know what a digital camera is.

If you're in Indiana and see an ISP Crown Vic, try and get a side view of it. You'll notice the car squats like a mo fo in the rear. Whats back there? Tons of field work shit, including forensic stuff, a few extra guns and ammo, and two cameras (one digital and one 35mm)

Lonestag
03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I was only referencing the cops in my area. I'd be suprised if half the people in my area know what a digital camera is. I'm just that far out.

I don't really have anything against the police, they have been relativly fair to me, if a little quick to pull me over (14 pull overs = 2 tickets...) I actually used to work for an agency that specialized in law enforcement technology. I have seen some pretty crazy tech, flashlight camera pepperball guns, tazer battons, patrol car deployed spike strips...

Future is here I guess...

midship
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM

I feel better now.

^^^X1000

anthony560
03-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I think it's one thing to have them snap ppl running the light. But if your going 10 over that's dumb. Shit I go atleast 9 over in some parts of town. I better just start slowing down a bit or im gonna have like 20 of these things mailed to me. lol

hobbie2k
03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
And lets hope that the world doesnt come to a point where your car reports your speeding, cuz that just wouldnt be any fun.

The technology is already here, all they have to do is implement it. The funny thing is that if the technology is here for a car to know it's speeding and report it, it's also possible to build a car that won't let you speed (and they've been testing such cars in England for years now).

However, cars that report speeding are probably far more likely because if car's can't speed, then they can't hand out fines.

ciento44
03-26-2008, 08:57 PM

First you have to assess how much of a little b*tch the cop may or may not be.

I've gotten out of a ticket doing something like that, just because i scared him saying i was going to please not guilty to the ticket and chew his ass up in court.

Got passed by a cop that nailed me in a speed trap going 73 in a 65 5 minutes before he tagged me. He went by me at about 95mph with no lights on just trying to get to his trap. And i was mad enough that i had no problems telling him why what he did was breaking the law and that there was no way he was going to stand in court against me.

He wasn't pleased, but he didn't give me a ticket, either.

What cops don't realize is that unless they have their lights on, they have to obey ALL of the same laws we do.

I've called cops in for "erratic driving" "speeding" etc just because it pisses me off so much they they think they're above the law even when they aren't actively doing anything to enforce safety.