PDA

View Full Version : ****ing Waterpump!

Dave9284
03-25-2008, 02:20 AM
My Celicas been parked since late November, since I don't drive it during winter. Seeing as the weather has been decent I decided to do some maintenance and drive it. Of course I have the car out of the garage one, single day and the water pump goes out. It spews coolant all over the ground. Now on top of it all I went to pull the car in the garage and the bearing on the pump goes and lets the timing slip off enough to keep the car from starting. Damn waterpump wasn't even old I did full timing set 3 months/2000 miles before I parked it for the winter. Sorry about the rant, just needed to vent, I love my car but sometimes it's a pain in the ass. Anyone have any ideas how to get this car off the street and into my garage? Timing has slipped off too much to start and my driveway is too steep to push it up there. Maybe this time I'll take photos of the job.

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Just to let you know, the bearing was the cause of the leak, when the bearing goes bad the spindle will wobble and not allow the seal to do its job. Is your car close to the garage? I once pushed a grand am in to a garage with my ranger, we used a tire in between to cusion and it worked well, so you could do that. If the driveway is level, you can just push it, celicas are VERY easy to push

505celicaGT
03-25-2008, 04:18 AM
thats a good idea. timing belts are a diff story.

tell us how the water pump change went. cause imma change mine out too =)

tuner4life
03-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Water pump change shouldnt be too bad, once ya get going on it, just have to have small arms.

I would talk to wherever you got the old water pump from and see if it has any kind of warranty. It shouldnt go bad just from sitting for a winter, especially since it is relatively new.

Dave9284
03-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Well I talked to AAA and they towed it the 30 feet to put it in my garage. Pretty interesting to watch a roll back maneuver into my driveway and lower the ramp to let my car roll in. My driveways too steep to push it in by hand and my truck sits up too high to push the car with it. As far as timing belt changes go the Celica is a piece of cake. I'm taking photos this time so I'll have those if anyone needs them. I'm changing everything out again (tensioner, idle, belt, pump), last time I went with what Advance Auto had, this time it's Toyota OEM.

supra97rx7
03-25-2008, 05:54 AM
pictures would be great :wiggle:

85gtsblackman
03-25-2008, 06:07 AM
that job is going to suck due to the engine sits sideways, unless you have small hands

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 06:12 AM
it is actually pretty simple, I have long arms and huge hands, and I got down in there just fine. The only hard part is the motor mount, and only the part that attaches to the motor, thats all and even that is pie

Sean
03-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Be sure to use a dealer like 1sttoytaparts.com, as they are much cheaper for OEM parts.

And yes, ALWAYS USE OEM parts when possible :)

Good luck!

Dave9284
03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Well waterpump is done. I'll get some photos posted of it in a few hours (as soon as I get them off my camera). I don't find the timing belt difficult to do on this car, it's just time consuming because of all the little details. I find the motor mount is pretty easy to deal with. Only parts that annoy me are the power steering resevoir (have to remove a line from it to move out of the way then it perpetually leaks) and putting the camshaft and crankshaft back in time. Took about 3 hours for timing belt, waterpump, idler pulley, tensioner, thermostat, and the gaskets on that wierd metal pipe that connects to the water outlet housing. In case anyone is wondering about price I got away with all the parts for $200 for genuine Toyota parts, which to me seems fair.