PDA

View Full Version : The ignorance in people today...

italianmr2kid
03-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Scares me. This guy on RX7club was telling a potential alltrac buyer this -

60k miles is about on par with when you should be ready to replace your turbo if you have turned up the boost. on stock boost 100k is starting to push it.

the all-trac is not what you think it is, its not a toyota quality DSM.
its basically a junky camry motor with some boost and a glass transmission that is impossible to work on. doing a clutch job is a huge ordeal on those cars, and the transmissions are frighteningly weak.
those era toyota engines do just leak, constantly. but they run forever in a camry(btw they made AWD camrys of the same era also)

the all-trac celica has far too many weak links to make it a good modifiable car. keep it stock and i'm sure you can have fun with it though, just be careful.

junky camry motor?!?!? glass transmission?!!? wow... what?!
i'm not starting shit but jeez! come on!!

Mr Celica
03-24-2008, 04:04 AM
when did they make AWD camrys? what a douche. and yea the 3sfe or whatever it is in the camry is EXACTLY the same as the 3sgte... ok guy.

DeeCee
03-24-2008, 04:07 AM
don't you just love the internet and all its experts hahahaha

MrWOT
03-24-2008, 04:14 AM
There IS a camry alltrac, but I'd have left a mushroom shaped bruise on the forehead of the aforementioned rx7 owner :squint:

Murgatroy
03-24-2008, 04:14 AM
They did make a Camry Alltrac.

Mr Celica
03-24-2008, 04:30 AM
no way. i did not know that! it must be super rare and horribly unreliable. haha

celicaGT90_05
03-24-2008, 04:40 AM
yeah, I have seen it come up in parts listings at the parts stores, I've never seen one but believe they did do so

DeeCee
03-24-2008, 04:47 AM
god its true, though with a v6 and not the venerable 3s..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=46002

burnyd
03-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I think hes cross referencing camry alltrac and celica alltrac..... all in all he knows about as much as toy_celi.

19celica90
03-24-2008, 05:08 AM
with all due respect to rx7's(i love them!) but he doesnt have much room to talk. the 2nd-3rd gen rx-7's have just enough of their own probs to make them a "un-reliable car" rotaries were once known for engine fires, oil caking, shitty vaccum lines and ratty wiring. but i guess the 3sgte does suck thats why toyota put it in their best rally cars and like won all these awards and it was produced thru ~3 decades and still proved to be powerful in our modern times

celicaGT90_05
03-24-2008, 06:07 AM
the 2nd and 3rd gen? there were only 3 gens of RX-7's so you're referrencing to the final gen? The one gen RX-7 I didnt like is the 1st, my uncle use to have one but I find them ugly. I use to study them but sadly a lot of that knowledge is gone now. The major thing I hate about rotaries isnt that they require more maintanace, but they consume a LOT of gas

celica91gts
03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
they also burn a shit load of oil

PhillyDRFT
03-24-2008, 11:24 AM
There IS a camry alltrac, but I'd have left a mushroom shaped bruise on the forehead of the aforementioned rx7 owner :squint:
:lolhittin :lolhittin

cs363
03-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Lol, thats funny right there....RX7's are renknowned for their reliability.....NOT!

FWIW there are 3 generations of RX7 but 8 series or models which is why some people get confused about them.
Gen 1 includes Series 1 (79-80) Series 2 (81-83) & Series 3 (84-85) These are all the original shape with various upgrades and face lifts.
Gen 2 includes Series 4 (86-88) & Series 5 (89-92) These are the Porsche 944 shape ones and included the first widely available turbo models (there were turbo Series 3's but JDM only)
Gen 3 includes Series 6 (92-95) Series 7 (96-98) & Series 8 (99-02) These are the 'batmobile' shape.

And Camry's - junky?? Boring maybe, but not junky - who is this guy?
8 hours for a clutch job is hardly an ordeal and its not like you have to do that every week! And whoa? 'frighteningly weak transmissions'???? he should take a look at Mazda 323 turbo 4wd, Subaru and Mitsubishi Evo transmissions before throwing stones in the direction of celica's!
Gotta go clean my transmission with Windowlene and put a drip tray under the engine.......

ciento44
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Link to the thread, please.

Time for some APEX SEALS LOLOLOLZZZ

cs363
03-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Time for some APEX SEALS LOLOLOLZZZ

Yeah! And maybe a high mileage rotary engine poll?? :laugh:

Conrad_Turbo
03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Must have confused the glass transmission with another AWD car...the Subies.

italianmr2kid
03-24-2008, 04:20 PM
yeah this guy is absolutely ridiculous. update on what he's said

"its the same engine design, who cares about the head flow? its still got a weak deck layout, crap crank, and an oil leaker.
and the transmissions are glass and impossible to find used.

and for trivia bonus points, this is the car that got toyota thrown out of rally for a year and a half when they got caught cheating by bypassing the turbo restrictor."

seriously? :thumbsdow

burnyd
03-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah! And maybe a high mileage rotary engine poll?? :laugh:

high mileage in rotary is like break in time for a 3sgte lol...

ciento44
03-24-2008, 04:24 PM
yeah this guy is absolutely ridiculous. update on what he's said

"its the same engine design, who cares about the head flow? its still got a weak deck layout, crap crank, and an oil leaker.
and the transmissions are glass and impossible to find used.

and for trivia bonus points, this is the car that got toyota thrown out of rally for a year and a half when they got caught cheating by bypassing the turbo restrictor."

seriously? :thumbsdow

Cavanagh
03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Wow this kid is a joke, he must be confused with AWD Eclispe Transmissions. 3SGTE's need new turbos at 60k on stock boost? Lawl.

19celica90
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
if anything, the 3s has a rep with blowing headgaskets and cracking ringlands, but thats because the owners boost em way too high w/o proper tuning. 13b's on the other hand with proper tuning can cause detonation, blown apex seals or engine fires. they make a lot of heat and usually melt things like oh...wiring harnesses, sensors and such.

celicaGT90_05
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Lol, thats funny right there....RX7's are renknowned for their reliability.....NOT!

its not so much them not being reliable, its that you have to do a lot to maintain them, which means they deffinately are not for everyone

ciento44
03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Nvm guise, i found the thread lawl.

Lonestag
03-24-2008, 07:45 PM
There is a Camry All-Trac in a local junkyard. It would be a neat car to have, maybe do a 3SGTE swap, and tear up some subies with...

cs363
03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
its not so much them not being reliable, its that you have to do a lot to maintain them, which means they deffinately are not for everyone

Ha...you're not telling me anything new....I've owned a Series 1 and a twin turbo Series 6! :laugh:

But surely by definition a reliable car should not need much maintenance?? :hehe:

3tc power
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
i still can't get over the part with the tranny being like GLASS..lol from what i know and seen, these alltrac trannies are not easy to break. the dsm tranny is a different story. those things break so easy and they also have a recall on the rear diff for the first gen......you know what that means, if that falty diff decides to lock while you are halling ass ....hmm should i go on?

ciento44
03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
oh LOLOL.

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=740847&page=4&highlight=alltrac

That troll has a freaking Galant VR4. I don't know if any of you have had the displeasure of wrenching on one of those.... It ain't pretty.

Is it a more capable platform in terms of what it'll do with just bolt ons? Definitely. Is it more reliable? Hell no. Is it sexier? Hell no.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Corey Darling
03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Thats funny, i actually posted a thead on there a few weeks ago asking for an impartial opinion on the RC bumper lol (my coworker frequents that forum and has an rx7)

Everyone who chimmed in loved the gt4 and the rc bumper.
I'm glad Gary jumped in there at the end :)

celicaGT90_05
03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
But surely by definition a reliable car should not need much maintenance?? :hehe:

well, nah, maintanance is standard, reliability is its ability to not break down. So long as you keep up on it though, it shouldnt. But still, I'd prefer an alltrac running what? A 15 stock? Than a gas guzzling rotary. Now, I do want a 2nd gen RX-7 and a 3rd gen, but they arent practical in any way