PDA

View Full Version : Oops, This Can't Be Good

grayscale
03-22-2008, 02:58 AM
So I yanked the motor out, got on the stand, and tore down everything except for the block. Last thing I pulled was the oil pan and I found this nice little pile of large, thick shavings on on my oil pickup screen. No idea where they came from and not much time to find out. I'm just gonna slap the head back on and hope for the best. Just needs to last me through the meet in April and I'll pull it again. I refuse to drive my 6th gen with that damn 7afe to the dragon.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/HPIM0746.JPG

juggernaut
03-22-2008, 03:03 AM
its kinda blurry. got any better pics?

celicaGT90_05
03-22-2008, 03:16 AM
uh oh, hopefully your car wont die on you half way to the meet! Hopefully its nothing to worry about for now

grayscale
03-22-2008, 03:24 AM
its kinda blurry. got any better pics?
Nah, I just snapped a quick one earlier. They weren't really discernible, didn't resemble anything I recognized anyway.

Shadowlife25
03-22-2008, 04:31 AM
Did they have a metallic texture? If not maybe they're leftover FIPG, color looks about right...:shrug:

Hope it works well enough to do it's thing for ya Cannon :)

*edit* Have you checked the oil pump itself? How do the crank bearings look?

grayscale
03-22-2008, 12:17 PM
FIPG was my first hope, but they do seem to be metallic. I'm pulling the oil pump today to take a look at it. Don't know about the crank bearings, I'm leaving the block alone for now.

grayscale
03-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I just stuck a magnet to it- no stick. It must be aluminum.

grayscale
03-22-2008, 02:39 PM
It's not the oil pump. What's in the block that's aluminum?

andy
03-22-2008, 09:44 PM
arnt the bearing brass or something

Hookecho
03-23-2008, 12:23 AM
probably just material from bearings. do you have aluminum or bimetal bearings. those shavings could either be aluminum or lead copper.

also, don't know if it was you that did it, but don't use gasket sealant on the oil pan. it just breaks off in the oil pan and clogs the oil screen up. i can see a big piece of it stuck on there in the pic.

alltracman78
03-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Gasket sealant is perfectly fine to seal the oil pan.
It tends to seal better than a gasket.

If you use too much it can fall off into the oil.
The right amount [~1/8" bead] is totally safe.

That's most likely not bearing material, unless you've heard your engine knocking.

A good pic would REALLY help in identifying what it is.

yankee7568
03-23-2008, 03:01 AM
From the factory of toyota they don't put gaskets on it. They use the gasket maker stuff. That looks like one of the bearings or some of all!!

grayscale
03-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Well, it's all closed back up now. Whatever it came from it was highly compressed, to the point it was unidentifiable. I wish I could have gotten a better pic, but I've never figured out closeups with this damn camera. I haven't heard any knocking, not over my valves rattling anyway. As for the pan seal, the bgb calls for fipg, which I'd rather use instead of a gasket since the pan is not a very precise part. Although this time I had a tube of real toyota fipg on hand instead of the orange stuff.
That wasn't the worst part of the day though, if you can believe it. I was working on the head later on, and wasn't thinking, and turned the head over a little to far and about half of my valve shim/buckets fell out. Fawk. Oh well, 1500+/-miles and I'm gonna yank it back out anyway. Oughta be a fun ride in April!