View Full Version : Ain't this cute.

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/27224.asp

County to crack down on loud exhaust systems

By AMANDA REAVY
STAFF WRITER
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dual exhaust systems may enhance your vehicle’s performance, but if the extra horsepower adds an aggressive roar, prepare to be pulled over.

The Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday it is cracking down on drivers who violate the state law regarding vehicles with excessive noise and modified exhaust systems.

“I think that a lot of people don’t realize that there is a law that regulates … the noise emitted by vehicles,” Sheriff Neil Williamson said, noting the restriction includes any car, truck or motorcycle.

“I get complaints all the time (about vehicle noise) when I’m out in public.”

According to section 5/12.602 of the Illinois Vehicle Code, every operating vehicle should be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system, which should be properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. It is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle in a way that will amplify or increase a vehicle’s noise above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

Williamson said he’s instructed deputies to be more conscious in enforcing the noise regulation and making motorists aware if they are in violation.

Motorists pulled over for the offense will either be issued a written warning or cited with a fine of $75.

“It’s especially bad for a lot of people that live at intersections or corners where the vehicles are coming to a stop and then they take off and rev them up … You can hear some of the these cars for five or six blocks,” Williamson said.

“It’s something, I think, over the last five or 10 years, it hasn’t been a real high priority with a lot of law enforcement agencies. It’s one of those things that’s crept in gradually, and it’s gotten to the point that it’s almost like noise pollution.”

Apparently people are getting pissy in my home county about how loud cars are.

Personally, I don't see a problem with loud cars. Just loud cars that race on public streets. In fact, I'd argue to say that having a loud car saves me from accidents. There have been numerous times when lazy drivers try to get in my lane... but If I step on it a little, they hear me and back the hell off.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get pulled over next weekend when I'm in town. This is ridiculous.

Cav would know, he's from around here.

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 12:32 AM
thats crap, tell them to piss off. Whats funny is I've never heard you cant get a louder exhaust other than what it was like factory, what I've heard is it has to be within a certain number of dB. Who cares about a car thats a bit noisy? "Like omg! My insides are shredding from his exhaust note!" yeah ok whats it hurting? Nothing, just turn down your hearing aid. Luckily, my celica may be a bit noisey but it isnt excessively loud, it can be heard but not by too far away. Hell I had a valve stem replaced on it and when they pulled it back up front I was standing outside and couldnt hear it, only thing was it was raining. They just wont let anyone get away with anything anymore will they?

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, it's complete bullshit. Obviously another tactic to supplement bloated budgets.

Here's the thing. As long as the vehicle doesn't exceed the EPA Noise Pollution limit, exceed federal smog regulations, or compromise the stability and safety of the vehicle or put others on the road at risk, you should be allowed to do whatever the fuck you want to do with your own damn car.

Cat-back? Sure. Intake, headers? Absolutely. Turbocharger, nitrous? Fuck yes. It's a free goddamned country, I paid for my car (the state didn't put in a damn penny in the transaction), I'm going to do whatever the hell I please with it.

What's really happening is a few idiots out there are strapping 4-inch fart cans onto their cars, or putting obnoxiously loud pipes on their bikes, and driving like idiots and pissing off irritable seniors with nothing better to do than gripe to elected officials.

Sheriff dumbass even says it:

“It’s especially bad for a lot of people that live at intersections or corners where the vehicles are coming to a stop and then they take off and rev them up … You can hear some of the these cars for five or six blocks,” Williamson said.

The problem is when people REV THE DAMN CAR AND RACE!!!! That's what should be illegal, not what goddamned MUFFLER YOU PUT ON YOUR CAR!

People need to buck up and get out of my face with this.

evolution
03-21-2008, 01:02 AM
why don't you tell us how you really feel :laugh:

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 01:11 AM
why don't you tell us how you really feel :laugh:

HA.

Frenchy
03-21-2008, 01:52 AM
I wonder what they'll do to stock SRT4's with dual exhausts, and no mufflers...

Are they gonna get ticketed, for something that comes that way, from the factory???

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Yeah, it's complete bullshit. Obviously another tactic to supplement bloated budgets.

Here's the thing. As long as the vehicle doesn't exceed the EPA Noise Pollution limit, exceed federal smog regulations, or compromise the stability and safety of the vehicle or put others on the road at risk, you should be allowed to do whatever the fuck you want to do with your own damn car.

Cat-back? Sure. Intake, headers? Absolutely. Turbocharger, nitrous? Fuck yes. It's a free goddamned country, I paid for my car (the state didn't put in a damn penny in the transaction), I'm going to do whatever the hell I please with it.

What's really happening is a few idiots out there are strapping 4-inch fart cans onto their cars, or putting obnoxiously loud pipes on their bikes, and driving like idiots and pissing off irritable seniors with nothing better to do than gripe to elected officials.

Sheriff dumbass even says it:

The problem is when people REV THE DAMN CAR AND RACE!!!! That's what should be illegal, not what goddamned MUFFLER YOU PUT ON YOUR CAR!

People need to buck up and get out of my face with this.

you are exactly right, its the noise polution level not an "above factory" level. The thing about cars that loud is they should do something to help quiet it down, typical well tuned cars dont make a shitload of noise unless its a big block V8 in which case usually arent street legal to begin with. Cars that are that loud usually are hendering their performance rather than helping.

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 02:41 AM
I wonder what they'll do to stock SRT4's with dual exhausts, and no mufflers...

Are they gonna get ticketed, for something that comes that way, from the factory???

They'll probably give a bunch of tickets out to the kids that have them, and the kids will have to go to court and prove they drive a stock vehicle.

Interesting thing is we used to have a bunch of SRT4s around town... until the kids driving them got stupid and wrecked them all. Seemed like every other day you'd hear about a kid trashing an SRT4 on a country road. So considering the lack of SRT4s, I don't think there will be much of a problem!

What I really wonder is about all these people around here with classic muscle cars. These people paid a hefty premium for those classic automobiles, and the chrome exhausts on some of them came with a hefty price.

Somehow I suppose this is just a ploy to give import drivers tickets. I seriously doubt officers will think twice about pulling over an import; troopers seem to get a boner any time they can pull over something non-American.

I'm really feeling for you guys over in California, where the laws are much stricter. I know how you guys have to deal with crap like this, and it's inexcusable.

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 02:55 AM
yeah around here we had an SRT-4 of every color except red, or at least I didnt see one, but here were 2 blue ones. Now, the only one that has survived is an orange one, beleive the silver one is still alive but not around here anymore and dont know what happened to the rest of them. I know a black one was rid of as well.

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 03:19 AM
yeah around here we had an SRT-4 of every color except red, or at least I didnt see one, but here were 2 blue ones. Now, the only one that has survived is an orange one, beleive the silver one is still alive but not around here anymore and dont know what happened to the rest of them. I know a black one was rid of as well.

lol... I don't know what you'd compare that to. You know, those cars a lot of young people buy and then kill themselves in.

SRT4s are mean. I wonder how many parents bought those cars for their teenagers, thinking it would be ok because it had "Neon" written on the back and had four doors. And weren't they relatively cheap, too? Then again, I'm sure a lot of kids went and got loans for those cars instead.

Well, my mom got all worried back home, told me they are calling in on the radio stations with horror stories. She's wondering if I should go into a shop and get a muffler installed.

Any ideas about what kind of muffler I should put on my 1.6L? Who makes good, deep mufflers?

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 03:40 AM
lol... I don't know what you'd compare that to.

what exactly do you mean? Thats just what I know of about the SRT-4's that were around this area, so far only the orange one is actually still around and I know of 2 that were just sold, the rest I have no idea.

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 03:49 AM
what exactly do you mean? Thats just what I know of about the SRT-4's that were around this area, so far only the orange one is actually still around and I know of 2 that were just sold, the rest I have no idea.

I was just laughing about how quick those SRTs got wrecked. Not a very good survival rate -- if they were actually wrecked, that is.

tuner4life
03-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Cops can :fuckoff:

Hehe, just wanted an excuse to use that uber-cool smiley. :)

No really though, cops are assholes with nothing better to do than harass those people that care for a more tuned up car. And it's not just old people complaining, I have been harassed by numerous of my neighbors about the sound level of my vehicles and the speed at which I drive them (evidently 30mph is wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too fast for a residential street. :laugh: )
But I was yelled at today for my vehicle being too loud, because I was revving it up a little in my driveway after fixing a slipping belt. This was not at any late hour of the night, it was at three in the frickin afternoon. She was mad b/c I might wake up her baby... Now I could see her being upset if it was late at night or something, but 3pm??? Seriously, GTFOver-it.

All this cracking down is going to do is lower alot of peoples respect level to cops, that is already low enough as it is. Like around here the state cops have started a "speeding and wreckless driving crackdown" I swear, they are out like the damn plague!! Nobody likes it, but I guess they have to waste our hard earned tax money somehow.

Anyways, rant over.

Cavanagh
03-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Hey i just read that article today...We were in the Cobra today and everytime we saw a cop we could clutch in and creeep by them.

Fucking Lame, expect they get rid of fart cans :)

19celica90
03-21-2008, 05:03 AM
well im gunna put my two cents in and do my own little rant.
This new law is nothing more than another ploy to increase financial income for local authorities. Remember cops are the cities mob, they go out and get that money. They gotta find some money to pay for those huge gas guzzuling crown vics that they cruise in all day. But in reality heres what i think.
The law states that if you repair your exhaust system or replace it, it does not have to be oem. So that leaves a window/grey area as to what it can be replaced with. In no way does it say that a fart can cannot be put on a car. It does say that a car cannot be at a certain decibal while at WOT. I think when they test the officer has to be 15ft away and it has to be over....80db? I remember Import Tuner did this test for all states to help "tuners" not get ticketed or at least inform them of what to expect when stopped. They had an actual officer from the state of california administrate an exhaust test. Almost every car was under the legal limit of "noise pollution".
Most cops go by the rule that it is too loud. But who's ears does that law apply? The cops ears are no means of measure to inforce a law. Just because its too loud for one doesnt mean its too loud for all and make it illegal. But cops are dicks and feel that they are above the law and ticket you anyway. After learning the law i always test the cop while he pulls me over for "illegal exhaust". The officer is always quite surprised that i know whats right and whats wrong and i usually get out of the ticket. It usually goes like this:

Cop: i pulled you over because you have a modified exhuast
Me: Really? I didnt know i had to replace my stock ehaust with an oem one.
Cop: Its illegal to modify your exhaust in any way
Me:Technically yes, but if its not oem, then its aftermarket, which is modifying, theres no rule stating i have to replace my exhuast with and oem peice. There is a law stating that at a certain distance the car cannot be at a certain db. I would like to do do a decibal test right now.
Cop: I dont have the equipment on me to do that sort of test.
Me: So you're giving me a ticket because its too loud for you? are your eardrums the law?

Usually, it always like this. And in the end, i just get a warning. Fucking cops in dekalb are soooo fucking fat, gay and have nothing better to do than harass people. Theres this one cop in town who always harasses me and other true enthusiasts. He'll pull u over for something so small. Then, he'll write you're ass up for tints, too low, exhausts, gauges and whatever else. But, then! heres the kicker, he clocks out and gets into his black neon srt-4, with tints, no front plate and loud ass exhaust and drives home!!!! Hes a fucking prick.

Just last summer i was driving downtown with my friend after i had swapped in the 3sgte. I have 2.5% tint on all my windows except the front. We were driving WITH the windows down. He pulls me over and says, "tints on the driver and passenger side windows is illegal." I look at my friend and then look at the officer and go, "WHAT?!" he goes on to say that i was driving with my windows up and when i saw him i put them down. He then gives me a ticket for tints, exhaust, car too low and no front plate. I take it like a man, dont say anything. Next day i go to the city municipal building and raise hell. I told the head cop this,

"Yesterday i was driving in my car while one of your finest pulled me over. I asked what i was being pulled over for and the officer replied window tints. I responded by saying my windows were never down while ive been driving. I also got ticketed for other "violations". Now, i had a witness in my car at the time who can testify that i never had my windows up. I end it by saying, what happend yesterday was an illegal stop. He had no right to stop my because i was not doing anything illegal and if you or your police want to persue this you must allow me some time to gather my case, speak to my lawyer and have an affidavit from my friend in the car. The head cop got soo red in the face, took all my tickets, ripped them up and said he was going to talk to the officer who gave me the tickets and that "no lawyer will be necessary" for this at the end!! lol.

Anyways, i never heard of a law stating that a new exhaust must be as quiet as the original was. Do they have db readings of every car ever made and at ever rpm to know when to stop a "louder than stock" car? What about neon srt-4's? Although they are stock, Borla help make the exhausts and they are loud(annoying) as hell! What about the new Sentra SE-R Spec-V they come stock with a fart can! It doesnt make any sense. Basically, an after market company can make aftermarket exhausts for cars at the factory and its still....stock? What about trd, nismo, mopar, all of which make factory upgraded exhausts but are louder than stock?

]If this law is concrete shouldnt they have mandates on companies like Greddy, HKS, Borla, or Magnaflow? Shouldnt they regulate muffler shops? Should the owners call the police when a customer comes in and wants a fart can installed? Is it really the fart can thats the problem or just the noise they make? Could you get pulled over if you have a GINORMOUS fart can, but have a silencer in it? its kinda like having some crack in a bag thats in your pocket. Its not illegal to carry it, but as soon as you smoke that shit, its all illegal!!! doesnt make much sense does it?? End of rant, or as much as im willing to write for one night.

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 05:27 AM
Hey i just read that article today...We were in the Cobra today and everytime we saw a cop we could clutch in and creeep by them.

Fucking Lame, expect they get rid of fart cans :)

That's interesting... you heard of anyone get a citation yet?

What I'm wondering is, these are Sheriff's deputies. There's something like 12 of them, for the whole damn county. From what I understand they don't really patrol the city -- they service rural areas. So would we have to watch out for them either way?

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Anyways, i never heard of a law stating that a new exhaust must be as quiet as the original was. Do they have db readings of every car ever made and at ever rpm to know when to stop a "louder than stock" car? What about neon srt-4's? Although they are stock, Borla help make the exhausts and they are loud(annoying) as hell! What about the new Sentra SE-R Spec-V they come stock with a fart can! It doesnt make any sense. Basically, an after market company can make aftermarket exhausts for cars at the factory and its still....stock? What about trd, nismo, mopar, all of which make factory upgraded exhausts but are louder than stock?

The IL vehicle code stated: "Every operating vehicle should be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system, which should be properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. It is illegal to modify the exhaust system of a vehicle in a way that will amplify or increase a vehicle’s noise above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle."

The first part, the excessive or unusual noise, is subject to DB-meter readings and what an average person would agree is excessive. So I doubt that would ever hold water in court.

The second, however, states whatever muffler you put on cannot make the car louder than the way it came off the line. Unfair, maybe, because all cars sound different off the line -- which may be a source of contention -- but your judge may not give a damn, because the law is really clear.

Now here's the thing about that -- who's got a database of the levels of the sounds of factory cars? We are told that the car must be as quiet as stock, but how quiet is stock?

Personally, I think I'm screwed either way, because I don't have a muffler. Just a cat and resonator. So any judge could look at that fact alone, the fact that I don't have a muffler, and could tell me I'm in the wrong.

If this law is concrete shouldnt they have mandates on companies like Greddy, HKS, Borla, or Magnaflow? Shouldnt they regulate muffler shops? Should the owners call the police when a customer comes in and wants a fart can installed? Is it really the fart can thats the problem or just the noise they make? Could you get pulled over if you have a GINORMOUS fart can, but have a silencer in it?

lol. GINORMOUS fart cans.

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 05:46 AM
That's interesting... you heard of anyone get a citation yet?

What I'm wondering is, these are Sheriff's deputies. There's something like 12 of them, for the whole damn county. From what I understand they don't really patrol the city -- they service rural areas. So would we have to watch out for them either way?

PD is city, sherriff is county, and highway patrol is mainly highways, as if that wasnt obvious. I actually did that in the ranger once, the exhaust was off the down pipe, one time I went past a sherriff with throttle soundin like an all out baja truck and he didnt care, another time I just clutched it when I saw one and got past

T-spoon
03-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Well here's the thing:

People ignorant about cars and the way they work think that the only reason people modify their exhaust is to make them louder. Now, if that were true, they have every right to argue that they should be muffled. However, there's a difference between how an upgraded but properly muffled performance exhaust sounds and the average fart can on a civic.

The problem is that the stupid cars with fart cans draw negative attention to all cars with an exhaust note louder than a minivan. If there weren't so many dorks roaring around at 6000 RPM in 1st gear at 3AM down a residential street in a 3inch exhaust with a fart can on an otherwise stock civic.. I doubt there would be a crack-down.

Unfortunately it's just another case where idiots ruin it for everyone.

CPincy
03-21-2008, 03:33 PM
wow i feel lucky then where i live in ohio they arent strick at all the only ones i have to worry about are the state troopers they are the dicks around here the city cops around wont even pull u over unless your goin like 15 over and they dont give a shit about mufflers lol i live by lorain and half the cars there are so ghetto they dont even have mufflers :laugh:

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
^ yeah ohio is good like that, they arent too strict down here either. Hell, even the stateys arent so bad, I've had them ignore me with my exhaust falling off lol

Colossus20v
03-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Just say it is how you bought the car or whatever and so it is stock to you. Dont stress about it.