View Full Version : F1: Malaysia

Trance4c
03-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone staying up to watch it? Quali? Race? haha

I believe its 2 and 2:30am for me EST.

Ghosty
03-20-2008, 11:34 PM
It's only 1:30 AM CST... In yo face!!!

... nah, not really. I might be too tired to watch qualifying. The race is a different matter, since it's on the weekend.

I am really looking forward to the race, however. I'm curious if Ferrari will have another Fabulous Fiasco and if Bordais is really that good (a lot of cars DID get knocked out).

Ferrari has a lot of catching up to do. And considering it has only been a week since Australia, where BOTH cars retired do to engine problems in the race (not including another failure during a practice session), one has to wonder if the reliability will be an issue. While the Ferraris looked impressive in practice and qualifying, we did see Kimi go off course many times... way too many times... he's done it at Melbourne before but it does leave the question whether he his having difficulty adjusting to no traction control or what.

Perhaps it was a fluke, but you don't expect those things from last year's champion.

The season is obviously young, but all I know is that McLaren have 14 points, Williams/Toyota has 9, BMW has 8 and Ferrari has ONE.

Ghosty
03-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh btw, I read this on the F1 Web site:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7516.html

The BBC wins rights to UK Formula One coverage

Formula One Administration Limited’s Chief Executive, Mr Bernie Ecclestone, announced on Thursday that UK Formula One coverage will return to the BBC in 2009, taking over from current rights holder, ITV.

“I am delighted to conclude this new deal with the BBC,” Bernie Ecclestone said. “I wish to thank ITV for their commitment to Formula One and the high quality of their coverage. It is an exciting time in Formula One and the BBC has some innovative new ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base.”

The BBC lost the rights to Formula One coverage at the end of the 1996 season, after which ITV took over.

How is the ITV commentary? Do you think BBC will do a better job?

... and do you think they'll get the Top Gear guys to cover races? ;)

Trance4c
03-21-2008, 12:51 AM
All good things to look forward too.. infact, with how things have been going, if Renault is more reliable.. how will Alonso fair? There is so much going on right now.. I'd love to sit up just to watch practice tonight but I doubt I will.

Also, the ITV thing and BBC won't effect broadcasts on SPEED if that is where you watch it in the states. Top Gear guys? oh no.. please haha

Luis C
03-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Off course... any self respecting F1 fan watches the test/quali/race live, not the morning after rerun and guess what ? there is a high possibilty of rain this weekend, so if we add up the water factor and the absence of TC and engine brake we have a VERY amussing racing weekend coming up :)

goretro77
03-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Awesome, rain brings out real drivers and equalizes any horsepower advantage another team may have over the other. Senna was awesome in conditions like that.

Should be fun, I am watching it.

Trance4c
03-21-2008, 02:33 AM
oh juez.. rain.. that would be some craziness on the second race!

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Was it just me, or did anyone think the attrition rate in Australia was caused in great part by driver's inability to cope without traction control?

If that's the case, then holy wow, a rain race would be something to watch!

Luis C
03-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Totally, is Australia you could sort out the real drivers from the X-box players, rain promises to do a swifter job at that

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Exactly

Anyone watching right now? It's on

Trance4c
03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Na, there is no way I could stay up to watch practice on a thursday night. I gotta be at work today (well.. I am haha).

I was keeping up on the 1st practice session, people on the SpeedTV board post up whats going on by the minute in the forums when we are not giving broadcast to cover it. The later 2nd practice is just to late. From what I gathered though it was dry and fairly nice at the track. A lot of engines, transmission and other issues were being reported though.

Ghosty
03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
It's all good.

Practice session one was eventful, session two not so much.

Something interesting about Ferrari -- Kimi's car crapped out in the first practice. SPEED calls it an "engine failure," the FIA PR machine is saying he ran out of fuel. Either way, the situation bore an eerie similarity to the fuel pump failure in Australia.

My bet: Ferrari are still coming to grips with the new ECU. Maybe they're not programming it correctly, maybe it's overheating. Either way, they've got an issue and it's probably not being solved.

And Massa, I'm pretty sure he kept going wide in the corners. Perhaps he was a little too dependent on engine breaking and can't slow down since that option was removed from the FIA menu.

All and all, it was McLaren, Ferrari, Ferrari. If Massa keeps it on course, if Kimi's CPU doesn't kill the engine, then there's no reason to believe the race results will be any different, I think.

Trance4c
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Well.. Quali was more like I have been thinking. Crazy to hear of the McLaren's being punished 5 places on the grid. This put Toyota with Jarno Trulli in 3rd place for quali.. excellent but I think really light on fuel, we will see.

Should still be good, but I think this is more how the pack lays now, we will see if there are major suprises like melbourne.

Trance4c
03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok.. well I was up last night an caught the first 10 laps.. then I passed out I guess as next I recall was seeing Heikki on the interview at the end. I just turned it off, didn't even want to know what place he ended.

So.. I caught the rerun today. This race seemed a bit more of what we should see as the normal. Only real stinks of the day go to Hamilton and Massa.

Trulli did a fine job for Toyota today!

Otherwise, a Ferrari killing if you ask me.

Luis C
03-24-2008, 03:42 AM
BMW showed they mean business this season, neither McLaren nor Renault could keep up with them.

Another thing and I dont know if any one else noticed but during some of the last laps Hamilton was unable to even catch up with Webbers Toro Rosso, he had a hell of a bad time trying to hunt him down but didnt get even close.

Trance4c
03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
BMW showed they mean business this season, neither McLaren nor Renault could keep up with them.

Another thing and I dont know if any one else noticed but during some of the last laps Hamilton was unable to even catch up with Webbers Toro Rosso, he had a hell of a bad time trying to hunt him down but didnt get even close.

Meh.. I think the grid penalty on the McLarens for blocking during Quali really threw any comparison out the window. Definitely, BMW is looking to spoil the fight, but both McLaren and BMW must be on top of their game to match Ferrari.. their pace was just blistering!! They were lapping anywhere from 1-1.5 seconds faster than everyone else. That is a HUGE wake up call, as long as they hold reliability Kimi is in a great position for his second title.

Oh ya, an Webber doesn't drive a Toro Rosso, he drives a Red Bull. Now Toro Rosso is run by Red Bull too, but that is their sister team. There is a difference from the two. An as I had said earlier, I believe the Red Bull would be a bigger threat than those have given them credit. Adrian Newy is a great car designer, and when they stole him away from McLaren that was big news to me. Both Webber and Coulthard are Ace's if not a bit on the weathered side now. Anyway.. they are going to be fighting hard at the heals of the front runners. They look poised to upset Renault at the front of the mid-pack. I just hope Renault has something more in store.

Plus, the Williams of Nico Rosberg really wasn't able to feature in this race, interesting turn of pace and fortune there.

Luis C
03-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Meh.. I think the grid penalty on the McLarens for blocking during Quali really threw any comparison out the window.
Oh ya, an Webber doesn't drive a Toro Rosso, he drives a Red Bull. Now Toro Rosso is run by Red Bull too, but that is their sister team.

Yah... I know, brain fart as I was typing. Not to sure about the McL dropping below the BMW cause of their penalty but obviously BMW has shown that they are a force to be reckoned.

BTW... Massa is on the edge, looks like Ferrari are looking towards securing Fonssy for next season... that should something to look forward too, I cant really picture Flavio saying "You are leaving what? again?"

20v Blacktop ST
04-11-2008, 08:12 PM
When is the next F1 race coming up?

Trance4c
04-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Sorry.. been outta town a lot man, but the next race is in Spain on the 26th. Though, I usually pick up watching either thursday or friday.. depending on which practice they shot, 1 or 2. Usually practice 2 is only shown in the US on Speed, though on occasion practice is not broadcast. Also, sometimes I just don't care about practice as it is very hard to get an idea of what everyone is running and in what trim and purpose. Some specific courses its worth it, some.. not so much. Saturday is pretty much a MUST to watch, that will be the 25th. Saturday is qualification, and if your not up on F1.. its a knock-out style with 3 sessions. All the cars on the grid run in a 3 15 minute sessions, at the end of the first the slowest 6 are set in their speeds on the grid, then the next 6 in session 2, and then the top 10 shot it out for the pole in the last 3rd session. Anyway.. not to get off topic to far, this all then leads up to the race on sunday.