PDA

View Full Version : So the MR2 is officially dead.

Luni
02-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Threw a rod.

Just got the car from the shop, got the new turbo and alternator on, figured out the boost. Was hitting 12-13 psi or so, it was runnin strong. Passed emissions already... I mean I was sitting pretty, I was having such a good day.

Then I was getting on the freeway, boosting to the top of 2nd gear right at the top of 2nd around 6200 rpm the thing died... I dont remember hearing a grinding noise or a boom.. it just made a mechanical metallic noise and it died... All my idiot lights came on on my dashboard.. Engine died and it wouldnt start. Its gone.. Threw the rod right through the side of the engine I think... Lost ALL my oil.. Its dead.

Guess its Jspec time right guys?

Borinal
02-25-2005, 12:23 AM
It's definately a good excuse to get a clip. It just really sucks that it happened like it did. Goodness man... My deepest of sympathy, let me know if there is anything that I can do. Will there be a memorial service?

Colossus20v
02-25-2005, 12:25 AM
yeah just get a new jspec engine and clean it up and the put on your new stuff anyway and your good to go.

Colossus20v
02-25-2005, 12:26 AM
resurrect that bitch Luni.

Playfortoday
02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
:( I don't know what to say. That is horrible. :(

Lagos
02-25-2005, 12:46 AM
how many miles did your motor have?

skreem
02-25-2005, 12:52 AM
u think your turbo is still good even though you lost all of your oil?

Jigglypuff
02-25-2005, 12:57 AM
:(

Playfortoday
02-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Luni's beast had 178,xxx I think. I just hung up the phone with him, and he is pretty bummed. We both agreed that the engine did a ghreat job, and it was just its time with that much mileage. He is looking at a 3rg gen 3sgte swap now. That is the update. I will let him fill you guys in on the rest.

85gtsblackman
02-25-2005, 01:12 AM
im sorry man i know how it is to put a lot of time and money into a engine just to have it blow. I guess its true what they say, engine runs strongest right before it blows.

damn i would have put money on that his motor would have hit 200k, oh well 5sfe and 22re ownz all in reliability

Trance4c
02-25-2005, 01:17 AM
:( Really sorry to hear about that man.. dunno what to say. I've been there.. sucks.

nuclearhappines
02-25-2005, 01:22 AM
sorry to hear it man, but either you were low on oil, or your bottom end was just out of spec .....

you could've been in vacuum and this probably would've still happened at your milage...

good luck with the gen3

-nuke

Luni
02-25-2005, 02:25 AM
Wasnt low on oil. Toyota just did a fresh oil change the day before.

Bet my bottom end was just bad.

MrWOT
02-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that man :( Hope it didn't frag your new turbo

ChrisD
02-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Damn dude. Think of it as an opportunity to get something better out of it. A lot of us have been there too, it happens. :(

Snafu
02-25-2005, 04:04 AM
I hear a 5SGTE comming your way. Stroker baby.

Sucks to hear that man. Sucks monkey balls.

Luni
02-25-2005, 04:12 AM
So where do you guys think I should look for a clip..

Keep in mind I dont have the facilities to do the swap myself. Im going to pay someone 800 base to do a 2nd gen. To rewire everything for a 3rd gen it will cost more. I actually would LOVE to have a 3rd gen however the feasibility of it because of money availability is low. I could always start up the ol save the MR2 fund.. sell the site off a piece at a time haha.

But really tho, a good place that will ship to my door would be nice.

Play has already offered the idea of just buying a new oem shorblock and transplanting all my shit onto it.

There is a place locally that for around 2400 will source the engine, go through it replacing all the seals and timing belt, perform the swap labor, and warranty for 6 months. My good friend with the 93 Talon TSI is going that route and I guess I could always see what kind of work they do.. My only problem is I want the LSD in the transmission if I get a new engine. I wonder what the feasibility of getting the engine/trans from the MR2 and having them swap that shit out for me as well..

But I still have to find a way to come up with money for it. If I had credit Id just get a loan against the car and fix it up but I dont so I cant (not without a cosigner prolly). So I just dont know..

Thoughts, ideas?

XXX_Mina
02-25-2005, 04:25 AM
sorry to hear that man, ironiclly , i just finished telling my friends how strong the 3sgte rods were...

mina

Luni
02-25-2005, 04:27 AM
sorry to hear that man, ironiclly , i just finished telling my friends how strong the 3sgte rods were...

mina

Could have been my fault.. Bearing might have spun on a power stroke, causing the rod to bend in the wrong way, thus putting through my block.

Its all good tho. It sucks ass but when I can afford it I will do what I can. Its a good thing I have the Scoupe. Id be shit up a creek without that thing.

Borinal
02-25-2005, 04:47 AM
Shit, scrap the MR2 and spend the $400 on that chip. Ph33r 3h Sc00p!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luni
02-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Shit, scrap the MR2 and spend the $400 on that chip. Ph33r 3h Sc00p!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA.

Thats funny shit d4w6

AllOutRed90
02-25-2005, 05:41 AM
my 5sfe has 202,000 miles and im happy with it....ill be swapping this summer tho prolly

Elektr0de
02-25-2005, 06:15 AM
My boyfriend imports clips from japan :naughty:

Blackcloud
02-25-2005, 07:37 AM

i guess your stuck with teh scoop now huh?

Tommy91GT
02-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Sorry to here your lose. what state you in?

Luni
02-25-2005, 08:34 AM
My boyfriend imports clips from japan :naughty:

I dont suppose you could find out how much for a 2nd gen clip, and a 3rd gen clip.

For a dawg...

Luni
02-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Sorry to here your lose. what state you in?

Utah.

Luni
02-25-2005, 08:35 AM

i guess your stuck with teh scoop now huh?

Yep..

At least it runs.

Its a real piece of shit but it runs.

Tommy91GT
02-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Sorry don't know any importers in that area. Right now clips are kinda high.

Tommy91GT
02-25-2005, 08:55 AM
http://www.naganojapanese.com/jdm_3sge.htm
heres one but it's in canada, not sure about shipping. link says 3sge but its a 3sgte

ChrisD
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Not having facilities to do it yourself makes it quite a bit tougher. Most mechanics like stuff that you can just drop in and it *works*. 3rd gen swaps...umm not quite. hehe. Plus they cost quite a bit more.

My opinions on this...since I've been there...a couple times before. :doh:

OEM Shortblock: They cost ~$1400 (with discount?) at the dealership. You get some sort of warranty. I haven't heard the greatest things about them to be honest. Excessive blowby seems to be way too common for something that should be *new*. You have to break the engine in too.

3rd gen swap: If it were me, I'd be mighty inclined to do this. But the money issue is tough. When I did my swap I was looking for a 3rd gen engine, but I just couldn't find one available in the time frame and for a decent amount of cash. The extras like the 20b, 540cc injectors, improved head, MAP based, etc., are nice though. Wiring is probably a bitch, although doable.

2nd gen JDM swap: No reason to get a clip, the only thing you need is the engine. If you can source an engine for $1000-1500 take it to a mechanic you trust and have them install it. You don't even need to worry if the harness is cut or anything, just install your USDM harness. This would be fairly simple for the mechanic to do and finish quickly. Nothing wrong with the 2nd gen, it is a great engine. Also remember that you can sell your spare parts. You'd be surprised, you might make back a lot of cash that way.

Importers. We've listed a few in the sticky at the top on swapping. Also, check locally to see if there are any in town. There's got to be a couple in SLC. See if they can get you a good deal.

There's always the rebuild option too...if you wanted to go that route...get a 5S block and have a 2.2 L beast. hehehe...not sure how that'd run without engine management though, haha.

:)

Chris

Luni
02-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I want the LSD Transmission tho..

Only reason to get a clip for me.

Lagos
02-25-2005, 05:34 PM
luni. i didnt have a garage to do my swap, but i kept looking around and talking to people and ended up finding a place that was perfect for my project.

check your local news paper. you should be able to find something you can rent for a month or two.

Elektr0de
02-25-2005, 10:51 PM
I dont suppose you could find out how much for a 2nd gen clip, and a 3rd gen clip.

For a dawg...

will do luni f00 :bigthumbu

Luni
02-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Im discussing buying a JDM engine out of an alltrac from a board memeber that PMed me.

Its cheap enough, if I can ship it, Im going to go that route.

But I still want to keep my options open so still find out what you can Donna please.

gt_turbo
02-26-2005, 12:47 AM
gen 3, luni, gen 3!!!!!!

Trance4c
02-26-2005, 01:28 AM
dude.. if I were you.. I'd take that engine out, strip it all down to the block and send it over to Joshua Boam over in Chico CA. I can't say enough about how good he has been, the work is outstanding you won't regreet it.

http://www.chicoraceworks.com/

My engine has over 4000 miles on it and I disabled TVIS just this last week as its last bandaid. I broke it in correctly and took my time, but its on 14psi running flawless. I really can't put into words how nice it is. Just my 2 cents man.

85gtsblackman
02-26-2005, 03:00 AM
u didnt leave a socket in the engine this time did u :ugh:

just messin with ya mang :hehe:

Rarh
02-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Ok you should reread what ChrisD said he sounds like he actually knows what he is talking about. If you do a gen 3 swap.. you have to get a clip and you WILL run into many problems. And it will cost you top dollar to do it right .. not only do you need motor but you will need to redo the harness wiring and also going to need every tiny lil sensor functionable... which is rare.. coming from a supplyer of clips.

I am can get clips.. but i am totally overloaded w/ mr2 clips all i can tell you it check out www.mr2warehouse.com , thats my friends shop he will import and install. its a lil pricey but he top great work.

A few things i have to say... reread ChrisD's post... again, best bet is just find a motor and tranny.. i got my gen2 motor/tranny w/ ecu for $1300. Do not just buy a gen3 motor and tranny because you will be pulling your hair out sourcing the small lil parts.
Are you sure your motor is blown?... to be honest i would just check the oil filter... if they just did a oil change i heard of many instances where they cross thread the filter back on and when you build up alot of pressure it will pop off.. Also it sounds like you blew the H2h or H2hh... or oil cooler. Diagnose your engine first to know what you can salvage or not before you go looking.

Again gen 3's are nice but ... i personally think they are overrated unless you know that you are getting a full clip and know the person that rewiring you harness and installing everything knows what he is doing. Again that website is a friend of mine he does swap alll day and almost every day on mr'2. He has a big warehouse.

Please just take your time diagnose and then decide what to do. Gen 2's are the smartest and cheapest bet if you want to go jdm... a rebuild well.. to be honest.. i dont like rebuilds they never feel the same after. Feel free to IM me or email/pm me if you have any questions.

Luni
02-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Ok you should reread what ChrisD said he sounds like he actually knows what he is talking about. If you do a gen 3 swap.. you have to get a clip and you WILL run into many problems. And it will cost you top dollar to do it right .. not only do you need motor but you will need to redo the harness wiring and also going to need every tiny lil sensor functionable... which is rare.. coming from a supplyer of clips.

I am can get clips.. but i am totally overloaded w/ mr2 clips all i can tell you it check out www.mr2warehouse.com (http://www.mr2warehouse.com/) , thats my friends shop he will import and install. its a lil pricey but he top great work.

A few things i have to say... reread ChrisD's post... again, best bet is just find a motor and tranny.. i got my gen2 motor/tranny w/ ecu for $1300. Do not just buy a gen3 motor and tranny because you will be pulling your hair out sourcing the small lil parts.
Are you sure your motor is blown?... to be honest i would just check the oil filter... if they just did a oil change i heard of many instances where they cross thread the filter back on and when you build up alot of pressure it will pop off.. Also it sounds like you blew the H2h or H2hh... or oil cooler. Diagnose your engine first to know what you can salvage or not before you go looking.

Again gen 3's are nice but ... i personally think they are overrated unless you know that you are getting a full clip and know the person that rewiring you harness and installing everything knows what he is doing. Again that website is a friend of mine he does swap alll day and almost every day on mr'2. He has a big warehouse.

Please just take your time diagnose and then decide what to do. Gen 2's are the smartest and cheapest bet if you want to go jdm... a rebuild well.. to be honest.. i dont like rebuilds they never feel the same after. Feel free to IM me or email/pm me if you have any questions.

All of this is known to me about the difficulty of the gen3 swap, and not just buying the engine/trans. I know alot about the car, the engine, and what to do, I was just more or less asking people to point me in the best ways to get cheap engine/clip options. Cause truly all I want is the engine and transmission, which means a jspec gen2..

Yes Im sure my engine is blown. I didnt lose oil from the top side, it all came out the bottom side. Dude I lost ALL my oil.. Its dead. If I attempt to crank it, the thing just THUMPS (resistance to the starter) and nothing happens. It is siezed up, its completely dead.

Also Unless the oil pan is what incurred the hole in it, there is a hole from my rod in the side of my block and I doubt it is serviceable, but next weekend when I get a day off Im gonna climb up under there after putting it on ramps and check it out and see if I cant find out what happened.

I know about the engine and trans. Thats pretty much the route Id like to take. I also know about how much of a bitch it is to get a gen 3 working, but it truly is a sweet ass engine. But as of right now, what I think Im going to do is either buy that one from the guy, maybe ship it to chicoraceworks and have him go through it, OR just bring it here, put it on an engine stand and tear it apart and go through it.

Elektr0de
02-26-2005, 08:38 AM
dont listen to danny, his car never runs anyway :shush: thats why we always take mine

ChrisD
02-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Luni, do me a favour.

Check if your oil drain plug is there. You said you just got the oil changed by Mr. T right?

If

A) yes, it is there, then carry on with your decision.

If

B) no, it is not there, go back to Toyota and wreak all havoc on those bitches. Make them pay for that mistake. Don't take no for an answer. It could have taken a day to fall out if it wasn't tightened properly.

Just check that for me quick. Just a hunch.

Chris

Rarh
02-26-2005, 04:38 PM
pfft shush lady before i drive you car through your living room.

Seriously never doubt the stupidity of Toyota ... well the dealerships anyway. that really sucks about your motor dude really sorry to hear about that. Btw like i said i got my gen2 motor/trans for 1300 and i was happy w/ the deal.. but you kinda far to get it from my place. The reason i didn't get a rebuild is that its going to cost the same if not slightly more especially if you buy a motor then rebuild it. I guess the best thing is ask locally if there is any places you can get a motor. Have you posted on the mr2 forum? Maybe someone in the regionals can help you. www.mr2oc.com

Luni
02-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Ill check it Chris.

Im going to put the car up on ramps and climb down there and check it out anyway... I want to see the hole that I think is in my block.

Rarh
02-26-2005, 04:42 PM
lol wait i thought you said there is a hole .. i thought you saw it already.

Rarh
02-26-2005, 04:44 PM
lol wait i thought you said there is a hole .. i thought you saw it already.

oh btw... if there isn't oil in your engine dont crank it :)

Luni
02-26-2005, 04:57 PM
The thing still had oil in it... Lots of oil in it when I reattempted to start it. - I was still rolling when I reattempted to start it again and that when I knew it was siezed.

So it siezed with oil in it... And there was a thud and a mechanical metallic sound.

And just one more thing to throw out on the table here. The service guy I took my car to is a longtime friend. Known him since I was 5 years old. The guy he had do my car is the best mechanic on his team. I highly doubt the guy changed my oil wrong. He flushed my coolant system properly and burped the air properly. The guy knew what he was doing. But yet AGAIN I will check everything. I just have my doubts that it is Toyotas fault.. I think since I rebuilt my head and top end it was putting a little more stress on the bottom end. I think my turbo before was the weakest link and not capable of outputting enough flow or power to break anything. In addition to that I usually run 20w50 oil. I was told by an old master mechanic that on high mileage engines it will help keep your oil pressure up, the downside is it makes it harder on it when it starts, and it is more sluggish when cold. When I took my car to toyota they used 10w30, possibly even semisynth. I dont know what they used to tell you the truth, but most toyotas of that era use 10w30. The new ones use 5w30 I think.

In addition to that my exhaust wasnt flowing properly and Im sure my turbo assembly was heated higher than normal because of it. I think that since the oil cooler is RIGHT there next to the turbo, the oil side was getting hotter than it should have been, the 10w30 oil broke down due to the heat, one of my bearings failed, and it failed on the power stroke down and it just shattered the rod when the angle wasnt just right, shot the rod through the side of the block and bam.. death.

An engine woudlnt sieze with oil in it unless my oil pump failed or I spun a bearing and something fucked the crankshaft up locking it into place. In addition to that when I lost my oil on the ground, I lost yet even MORE of it when the tow truck pulled me up onto the flat bed. My car had sat for 20 minutes+ before that guy got there. It does not take 20 minutes for your engine oil to drain out of your drain plug. When he pulled me up onto the bed and my car was tilted back, I lost yet even MORE oil.. It just came gushing out. That leads me to beleive the hole is up a little bit and it isnt on the drain plug. But Ill check it all out and get the full story from looking at the thing when I get a chance to put it up on ramps.

Rarh
02-26-2005, 05:21 PM
What turbo where you runnning and exhaust? a lil off topic just curious

That sucks man yea sounds like its not the oil plug its sounding more and more major. I wish you the best. Btw are you on the mr2 forum also?

Trance4c
02-26-2005, 05:38 PM
u didnt leave a socket in the engine this time did u :ugh:

just messin with ya mang :hehe:

Not this time :bigthumbu

Luni
02-26-2005, 06:01 PM
What turbo where you runnning and exhaust? a lil off topic just curious

That sucks man yea sounds like its not the oil plug its sounding more and more major. I wish you the best. Btw are you on the mr2 forum also?

Jspec ceramic CT26 with stock exhaust. Gutted primary cat, replaced (but bad) secondary cat and clogged muffler.

175 or so k miles on it. And yeah Im on the MR2 forums but I dont post over there.

Last time I posted there it was a legitimate question not covered in a search and nobody answered it. Its usually how it goes there. Theres so much knowlege and nobody gives a rats ass about problems. They are so impersonal over there sometimes.

That board has problems. It isnt user/question friendly. It is what my site will NEVER become.

Rarh
02-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Heh, well i know for certain alot of the regionals are very protective sometimes over new members.. which is dumb. The NY/NJ/PA section that i spend most of my time are very friendly and family like... i made sure of that. Sometimes in the general forums ppl get a little arrogant but that goes anywhere. I have gotten that a few times trying to ask questions on other forums but i find the mr2oc a lil more laid back and friendly than other forums.

Luni
02-27-2005, 05:10 PM
I like to browse the forums and read all the tech stuff.

My reigon is actually incorrectly placed I think. Utah is a Rocky Mountain state, I dont feel we are a southwest state. And dont know if that has a bearing in it or not, but my reigional forum isnt very busy. In addition to that it seems like everyones over there walking around with sticks up their asses when you talk about something questionable to them like getting into it on a public road or whatever.. It doesnt matter, Ive been on that board for years and you can see I have like less than 100 posts probabally because I just dont feel welcome totally there... So i go there to READ about info, I hardly participate in the discussions and I come here and discuss.

So Chicoraceworks quoted me 1200 plus shipping for just the JDM engine. I really want that LSD transmission.. It is seeming like either I get a GEN3 clip so Im assured to have that, OR I buy the gen 2 engine for 1200 and the LSD for 1100 plus shipping

OR i can by homeboys alltrac jdm engine, tear it down, rebuild it, and buy the LSD tranny seperately...

I just dont know what Im going to do.

Rarh
02-27-2005, 06:03 PM
i hear ya alot of regionals are bitchy like that, sorry to hear about it.

I am sure you can get a price for a motor and lsd tranny for less than that. Like i said i got mine for 1300 w/ lsd but picked up. If you going gen3 clip be expected to pay like close to 3800 not shipped..or if you lucky shipped

Luni
02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
well it appears now I just want to find a LSD transmission...

I wonder where I can get oen of those for and how much.

Chicoraceworks wants too much for my blood.. 1100 is too much for me.

Kwanza
02-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I'd totally hook you up if you were in the area Luni... I actually live in Chico and do sometimes mingle with the Chico Race werks guys... they swing by every now and then to our shop... and they want my MR2 (bare bones hardtop)... ;]

You should also try Venus Auto (www.venus-auto.com)... they're the cheapest place I know of in my locale that carries JDM engines and I've always been satisfied with their engines (we've purchased so far, 3 4AGs, a 5SFE, a 3SFE, a 21R, 2 B16As, a B16B, a B18A, a B18B, and a B18C)... If I were to guess, a JDM 2nd gen 3SGTE long block should be less than a grand...

Luni
02-27-2005, 10:12 PM
I want the whole engine/trans assembly.

I already have secured one for like 710 shipped but its an alltrac motor. But it requires minimal work to get it adapted for the MR2. Thats without the transmission though.

PM me and tell me how much you can get me a 2nd gen 3SGTE to my house in 84065 for.

Conrad_Turbo
02-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Damn Luni that sucks! Well I am sure everything will work out well for you in the long run. A side note is that you might not be the first getting one of my TD05 adapters now? Haha. I am assuming you don't need one right now since your motor isn't up and running, but they will be getting built soon (due to demand) thanks to you!

I think the best case is if you could find a '93 or newer MR2 that had a head on collision and just pull that motor and lsd transmission...who knows you might get lucky?

Luni
02-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Who knows what differences between MR2 and alltrac engine mouting deals.

I know the alternator is. But what else? I mean being that I have all my shit off my MR2 it will be no problem getting a trac engine in there right?

Then my MR2 will be part celica.

Mattys alltrac is part MR2 ;)

hardy harr harr

Luni
02-28-2005, 12:57 AM
You know Conrad, Id still like to have one of your adapters. I may go that route in the future, or while the engine is out. I dunno.

ChrisD
02-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Hmm

-alternator
-valve cover PCV pipe
-backwards intake manifold emblem
-bov
-intake pipes
-ic obviously

Nothing too too major I don't think. Should be easy enough to convert over. :)

alltracman78
02-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Oil pan.
All you gotta do is use the At block. They are identical.
And of course crank/rods/pistons.

Luni
02-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Elaborate on the valve cover Chris.

Luni
02-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Oil pan.
All you gotta do is use the At block. They are identical.
And of course crank/rods/pistons.

What are you talking about?

alltracman78
02-28-2005, 02:13 AM
On the valve cover, the PCV tube is angled differently.
And the AT 3S doesn't have a oil level sensor in the pan.

I was saying all you need is the block/rods/pistons.
The rest you allready have.
If your oil pan is damaged, You should be able to use ours, just put a jumper or something in the wiring.
Or drill/tap hole in the pan, and itstall your sensor.

Luni
02-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Oh..
Alltrac doesnt have an oil level sensor?

I dont really care about the PCV tube angle. I have an oil catch can Im gonna install.

alltracman78
02-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Nope

Shouldn't matter to you, more to us...
You can use yours anyways, so....

ChrisD
02-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Elaborate on the valve cover Chris.

Ya it's not a big issue. But specifically, the mr2 one has a 90 degree curve, while the alltrac one sticks straight out.

:)

Luni
02-28-2005, 07:28 AM
I think Im gonna do it.

As soon as I get em, Ill post pics of the engine.