PDA

View Full Version : 5th+6th gen coilovers on the cheap?

Newbster
03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
New item I saw on ebay lately. It is a coilover system for the celica 91-99. It is $68 total. It says can lower 1-4" and is fully adjustable....Discuss.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99-TOYOTA-CELICA-GT-GTS-93-S-LOWERING-COILOVER-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ33582QQihZ014QQitemZ330220955839

94CelicaGirl
03-19-2008, 08:10 PM
From what I hear, suspension isn't something you wanna cheap-out on. I'd be skeptical of anything like this on eBay that was generic.

omar
03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
In dealing with automotive parts I have learned, from experience unfortunately, that you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. Always remember the old adage "If it is to good to be true, then it usually is."

Slider
03-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Garbage

PhillyDRFT
03-19-2008, 10:14 PM
You can probly DIY something better, it's just threaded pipe and knockoff coilovers.

I used to have a DIY about how to make an Adjustable Coilover sleeve. That can be mated with shot peened springs but I can't find it. It was a nice write-up too. Cheap and effective.

grayscale
03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Hm, curious, what can you remember from it?

PhillyDRFT
03-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Hm, curious, what can you remember from it?

I've actually been trying to find it, I spent an hour or so following old links trying to stumble on it again. I went to a laptop and my desktop is in a box somwehere from the renovations so I might have a bookmark there still.

But basically it detailed using 2" or so pipe and using a plumbers pipe threading kit to cut the shaft and mate two collars on it to make adjustable stops for the springs. I don't remember where the collars came from if they were a plumbing piece or not.

The rest of the thread was a discussion on how to get a cheap effective spring to use with them. Ideas were shotpeening or tempering your stock springs. Also trying some hardening techniques on cheap ebay springs since some come in a graduated coil.

It's been about a year or so since I found it so I'm sure I left out a lot. There could be something in there to get the grey matter working. My mind could also be filling in the blanks with my own DIY logic. thats the best I can recall.

KoreanJoey
03-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I think 1sloceli went with some ebay special coil overs to lift up the rear end of his car for drags, the springs on them were pretty crap and ended up coil binding pretty bad in the rear.

cs363
03-20-2008, 08:39 AM
They look.....NASTY! And not in the good way!
You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to suspension.
If you wanted to save some money you could do the threaded pipe and just get some suitable weight motorcycle rear shock (single shock type) springs and adjuster collars. If you have access to the right tools and have sufficient skills it wouldn't be a major job.

Carolina91GT-S
03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
so, no one has tried these? Does anyone know anyone who has tried these?

I like the concept of the adjustable nature.

I like DIY projects, and do a lot of them, but the idea of don't buy cheap crap so you can make your own cheap crap isn't the logic I was looking for. Are the DIY ones you mention something one person did or something that other followed suit and there were good results?

celicaGT90_05
03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
alright, time for my input. For one, I can tell those things have a high, extremely high aluminum content in them if not pure, because they arent coated. Do you think aluminum can support your car PLUS endure the extreme forces of driving at varying speeds? I dont, because aluminum is weak. Good springs, such as eibach or H&R are steal with a coating, get those, you wont regret it

Luda
03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
ya, im looking at a set of "cheap" coilovers, but there pushing 900$

suspension definatly isnt a place you want to cheap out, if you dont want to fork over the $1000+ for a set of coilovers then get a nice set of struts/springs and call it a day.

KoreanJoey
03-21-2008, 02:18 PM
If you want coil-over spring seats with good springs go look at Ground Control, the total for that is $350.

Oh and yeah they use ERS (Eibach Racing Springs). Again, don't cheap out on this stuff, remember your suspension parts take a serious beating.

sheep
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
i also saw them after calling around to get prices for places to get some nicer ones done on my car, i decided not to go with them, you can seriously mess something up if something does happen to go wrong and its a safty thing too, i would much rather spend $700+ to get it done right then $70+install and then get in an accedent