PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen Monte Carlo...

TheNefariousOne
03-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I might be picking up an 85 SS since my Celi is just getting to the point where cost of repairs isn't worth it anymore. I've always liked them so it'll be cool if I get it.

Thoughts?

ciento44
03-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Only if you take pics of it with you wearing a mullet. Then i approve.

No, buy seriously, they're cool. :)

VikingJZ
03-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Buy a late 80's Tercel.

You'll never have to buy another car again.

TheNefariousOne
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
^ Hah. I think late 80s Tercels are the definition of econobox.

Honestly though, another reason the Monte will work out good for me (if I get it that is) is that it has a big trunk. I'm in a band and I can fit nothing bigger than my basses in the Celica. Cabs = no go. I haven't really caught any good deals on Celicas or I probably would be going for that. The Monte only has 80k on it, interior and exterior look clean from the pictures, and the guy sounded sincere on the phone about the condition of the car. He said his son drives it every day so I'd believe that it runs pretty good. Oh, and it has t-tops too w00t.

Plus, SBC = cheap upgrade heaven.

VikingJZ
03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
SBC=Everyone else is doing it upgrade heaven.

I just have a personal biff with GM (Can't ya tell?)

celicaGT90_05
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
typically the 80s GM's werent bad, it was early 90's where they did most of their stupid "innovations". The monte's arent bad, but the gas mileage might get to you. However, I get roughly 25 with my grand prix

Murgatroy
03-17-2008, 07:23 PM
GM after they went to computer control... Eh.

My biggest problem with the G-Body was the AC. The box takes up so much room that you have to use a slinky and a wobble head to change the rear passenger side spark plug.

I am also not that fond of the radio set up on them.

I am not a big fan of anything GM produced after `81.

hobbie2k
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I had an '86 Regal with the Olds 307 and the electronically controlled carb (worst of both worlds), it was cool at first, but then it was nothing but problems after problems.