PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a 5th gen! I did it!*Pics!*

Kingsoup
03-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey guys! I was just about to use my 90 GTS to tow another Uhaul trailer and pick up a JDM motor for our Supra and it occured to me I should post about my travels since I found ZERO info on the internet when I went to do this!

I used to live in Ontario and now live in Alberta, I put a class 1 hitch on the Celica (145$) bolted to the bumper and welded on and pulled a 5x8 covered trailer FULL of stuff 4000kms, over mountains, valleys, all the way here with NO problems. Did I mention the queen sized bed with box spring on top of the trailer? I'll tell you that going up steep mountain inclines, flat out in 3rd gear, 5SFE working its heart out, but everything held up fine! the suspension was almost totally compressed on the rear, I jacked up the trailer at night to unload it, its a little hard to maneuver, we made about 17mpg the whole way, with the Celica's tiny gas tank that gave me almost 3 whole hrs between fill ups!

Want some pics?

http://i29.tinypic.com/24xigm0.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/25ktzcg.jpg

The 3000GT was loaded to the MAX with all the really heavy tools.

http://i28.tinypic.com/95x5pd.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2079avm.jpg

We had to move the bed across town! OMG I was so embarassed! but it worked brilliantly!

So there it is! I just wanted to reference this for anyone else who was thinking of doing towing with their celica, I estimate 2000-2500lbs I towed, hard to say really, it was working hard but did brilliantly!!

extremeskillz
03-15-2008, 04:36 PM
wow! not only interesting but wow. must of bee a sight.

PhillyDRFT
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Haha I absolutely love the mattress picture!!!

celicatrd93
03-15-2008, 05:12 PM
+2 love the mattress pic!! go celi go!!!

Cavanagh
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Wow!!!! I've never seen sports cars loaded down with that much SHEET. LMAO that last one is really funny.

Kingsoup
03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
We just picked up the 7MGE today with the Uhaul! Celica proving its value again! Keep in mind I do love my Celica, shes a hard working girl, no afraid to get dirty but pretty and shiney in the summer!

The mattress on the car was SO ghetto, I haven't ever done anything quite like it! I felt like I was fleeing some country in a war zone with 15immigrant laborer's on top of the Celica and all their belongings!

The celica rear bumper has threaded holes for a hitch to bolt on, luckily for me the bumper had been damaged in a collision so it was all bent! and the threads were rusted! so I had to tap the holes and 1 of 4 bolts wouldn't go in so I welded it on!

19celica90
03-15-2008, 08:49 PM
this reminds me of a pic i saw YEARS ago of an alltrac pulling a fairly big yacht. I think the pic was on toyotacelicaonline.com

KoreanJoey
03-15-2008, 10:56 PM
The mattress on the car was SO ghetto, I haven't ever done anything quite like it! I felt like I was fleeing some country in a war zone with 15immigrant laborer's on top of the Celica and all their belongings!

Nice that the celi doesn't have any window sills though huh?!

Maleek
03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Always had a thing for 3000gt's/stealths. How much do you love yours? lol

grayscale
03-16-2008, 01:25 AM
That's great! I tell people about it's towing ability all the time and they really don't know what to say, now I have pictures to prove it.

Hookecho
03-16-2008, 01:35 AM
that's one way to haul a mattress.

jnracer808
03-16-2008, 01:41 AM
^^^ Yep, I'll be doing the same thing. My friends think we can't do stuff like that to our cars. Damn, they're wrong...muahaha

I used to tow my dad's 91 tacoma. that was fun...lol.

VikingJZ
03-16-2008, 06:34 AM
If you weren't a Celica enthusiast I think people would question stuff.

Or call you a redneck...lol jk

But towing tests the car a little

celicaGT90_05
03-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Wow!!!! I've never seen sports cars loaded down with that much SHEET. LMAO that last one is really funny.

yeah I know, I've never seen a 3000GT with so much stuff on it!

Kingsoup
03-16-2008, 07:39 AM
I really do love the 3000gt! after being a supra guy for so long, I was hesitant to move to a 4wd car. Its really a great machine, the 4wd is so secure, takes so much guess work out of things, but still quite exciting! the grip limit is so very high, with fairly minor understeer at the limit! Its very quite but very fast, the handling is superb considering many people consider it to be a fat piggie car etc, there are many advantages to 4wd, I mean I love RWD but its hard to go back after you power out of sharp corners in 1st gear at full boost with no slip.

I felt pretty bad about putting all the crap on the 3000GT, but I have to paint it anyways, it did a great job of putting up with my crap!

The 5sfe did a great job with all its midrange torque on the towing! Today with just a 5x8 trailer and the 600ish pound motor, brakes just fine and lots of power to pull onto the highway. The bumper is quite securly bolted into the frame, I got some looks while pulling the trailer with the pretty little Celica!

Definatly a bit redneck! But sometimes you gotta swallow your pride a bit and do what needs to be done! I made sure to throurghly clean and wax the car after its ordeal, she just loves to be run! wether thats twisty roads with its BRILLIant handling and perfect steering weight, or pulling a heavy trailer flat out up a mountain! My Celica loves to drive!

celicaGT90_05
03-16-2008, 07:45 AM
ahh so its a VR-4, 1st gen right? Must be fun. I want to get a 1st gen dodge stealth R/T turbo pretty bad, the sibling to the 3000GT :D I like the 2nd gens, but I find the 1st gens to have more edge in styling

Gary
03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Talk about towing with a Celica

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6556/185towingha3.jpg

G.W
03-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I towed all of last year with a 5x8 utility trailer with a 4ft gate. Like you said mpg sucked I think wind drag played a big part, I noticed at 55+ mph the wind drag was strong enoguh for me to down shift at times.

Kingsoup
03-16-2008, 05:44 PM
ahh so its a VR-4, 1st gen right? Must be fun. I want to get a 1st gen dodge stealth R/T turbo pretty bad, the sibling to the 3000GT I like the 2nd gens, but I find the 1st gens to have more edge in styling

They are really nice cars! ultimatly though much like my mk3 supra turbo, old turbo cars are a real pain in the Caboose! Very fun, lots of mods, but troublesome and prone to breaking! a perfect reason to have a Celica as your daily! or backup car! I see lots of right hand drive All-tracs scooting around Calgary, man I would love one of those! The VR4 is a car misunderstood, internet racers say its this and that, too fat, blah blah, but unless you drive one, you realize its a different breed of car from a modded accord or something pedestrian, purpose built sports cars are just different!

LOL that pic of the Celica and boat is AWESOME!! I bet thats an all-trac eh? I'm not sure the 5sfe would have the grunt to pull that thing!

I towed all of last year with a 5x8 utility trailer with a 4ft gate. Like you said mpg sucked I think wind drag played a big part, I noticed at 55+ mph the wind drag was strong enoguh for me to down shift at times.

Nice!!! All the reading I did on the internet as I was trying to figure out the towing capacity of the Celica was stuff like "dont even bother, it can't tow anything" but we go and prove them WRONG! Yep! it does tend to slow down at speed and milage sure does suffer, but you can move anything with a trailer, who needs a truck right?

Conrad_Turbo
03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I've done a few thousand kms flat towing my autox car, that pic was from 2004.

http://www.aceengineering.ca/Temp/178_7801.jpg

Blackcloud
03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
that cant be safe. :hehe:

(even tho ive hooked over 20,000lbs to the back of my truck before :hehe:)

celicaGT90_05
03-16-2008, 07:02 PM
They are really nice cars! ultimatly though much like my mk3 supra turbo, old turbo cars are a real pain in the Caboose! Very fun, lots of mods, but troublesome and prone to breaking! a perfect reason to have a Celica as your daily! or backup car! I see lots of right hand drive All-tracs scooting around Calgary, man I would love one of those! The VR4 is a car misunderstood, internet racers say its this and that, too fat, blah blah, but unless you drive one, you realize its a different breed of car from a modded accord or something pedestrian, purpose built sports cars are just different!

I know what you mean, a LOT of people misunderstand the ford probe GT too, I've heard a lot of people say they are slow and really, they are not. My friend use to have one, and for a "slow" car it should could get up to speed in a hurry and push over 120

sheep
03-17-2008, 04:58 AM
dont know anyone with a pickup truck? lol

G.W
03-17-2008, 05:20 AM
I live in TX I might know of 1 or 2:) When I get my next Celica I will in stall another hitch. With it you could carry a bike rack, pull at railer and you get better all around mileage.

sheep
03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
well if you think about it wouldnt it cost less to run a truck instead anyway? less trips back and forth? you could hook a bigger trailer on it + throw stuff in the bed, that leaves the cars room for all the smaller stuff and make 1 big trip

Doc
05-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Beautiful!

Thanks so much for posting this. :bigthumbu I'm moving literally cross country in July (Ohio to Oregon (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=columbus,+oh&daddr=40.036027,-105.309448+to:portland,+or&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=40.296287,-104.837036&sspn=3.808115,6.899414&ie=UTF8&ll=38.85682,-100.986328&spn=30.95727,55.195313&z=5)) and I've been contemplating how the hell i'm going to do it: tow a trailer or tow the Celica. Knowing you were able to haul around such a heavy load is a great relief to me (i'll be moving only a couple hundred pounds of furnature).

We'll be stopping halfway in Boulder for two nights so i'll probably change the oil just to be safe before tackling the mountains. Got to flush/fill coolant and replace the shaky axle before leaving...