PDA

View Full Version : brake light stays on

sheep
03-14-2008, 05:21 AM
recently when i turn my ebrake off my light stays on, its dimmer then when my ebrake is on, on my old tercel the brake fluid was a little low which caused the light to come on, i checked my fluid and it looks like its up to level, when i drive for a min the light goes off and my brakes seem to work fine, and i just replaced all the pads all the way around the car any one have any ideas?

Galcobar
03-14-2008, 06:22 AM
If you just replaced the pads, two possibilities come to mind:

-air in the system, or insufficient fluid level

-e-brake needs adjusting, either at the handle or in the drums themselves

Third possibility is the e-brake position sensor at the handle is broken, but the intermittent nature of the problem would suggest to me it's a fluid issue. Did you check the fluid level when it was hot or cold?

sheep
03-14-2008, 06:43 AM
hot, when the light was off

hobbie2k
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I think it's an e-brake adjustment issue. It's not disengaging completely so the light stays on. After a little driving it is either shaken loose again, or the brake self adjusting mechanism kicks in. Do the 5th gen GTs have drum or disk rear brakes?

sheep
03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
mine has drum, so i just need to get in the back of the drum and adjust it?

hobbie2k
03-14-2008, 07:57 PM
That would be the simplest solution. Be sure the lube the cable, too.

Galcobar
03-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Drum -- even the ones with rear discs use a drum-in-disc setup for the e-brake.

sheep
03-15-2008, 06:56 AM
i would love to convert mine to discs all around but not sure i would want to get into brakes that much, i hate even changing the pads, its easy but not very much fun lol

hobbie2k
03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Drum -- even the ones with rear discs use a drum-in-disc setup for the e-brake.

Yeah, I knew that. I was thinking that if it's drums in the back, then a couple applications of the brakes would self-adjust them enough to cause the e-brake to fully disengage.