PDA

View Full Version : F1 Starts... Melbourne

Trance4c
03-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, if your not an F1 fan, then you probably don't know that this weekend is the first GP of the season. 18 races this season, starting in Melbourne and ending in Brazil.

This season will see our first nice race in F1 ever. Singapore will be hosting it.

I am a huge F1 nut and always try to catch the broadcasts, though some nights it is just so very tiring at the hour because of the fact some races are on the other side of the world.

Toyota competes in F1 along side Honda, BMW, Renault, McLaren and Ferrari as your constructors.

The other entires are Red Bull (fielding two teams [Go Toro Rosso!!]), Williams, Super Aguri, Force India.

Now, a lot of people get bored by F1, an I can understand why. Unless you realize how 400m can only mean a tenth of a second, the gap might look big and relatively no fun. F1 is a thinking mans game, an strategy plays a huge role in how a race turns out. A lot of things have changed on these 740-800bhp rockets; no traction control or launch control this season. Should make things much more interesting.

Well, today the circus arrives in Melbourne for the season opener! Practice begins tomorrow night on Speed TV 11pm EST. Then Friday at 11pm is qualification, then Saturday at 12am, midnight, the race!!!

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/imgactu/zoom07/ambiance-melbourne-z-13_150307.jpg

I can not wait to see these guys go 180 mph through the turns, just to slow to 140 just to stomp it again to 185 mph. We might be seeing faster this year, but I have a feeling that without the traction control it will be some time, we will first see if they match it.

This is a crazy sport, big budget stuff, with all the locations in the world, it is even more than just racing, but a spectacle.

goretro77
03-13-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm a huge F1 fan.

My hopes are with Lewis Hamilton to do well, he was 2 points away from a Championshiop his rookie year, quite an accomplishment.

I was very happy for Kimi Räikkönen winning last year in the last race with 3 pole positions and 6 wins (last win was in the last race of the year). He deserved to be World Champion with some solid drives.

It should be a fun year to watch! :D

Luis C
03-13-2008, 03:15 AM
My big ass TV is ready and wife has been warned... its Australia baby, so I wont be going to bed any soon this Friday and Saturday.

Being a McLaren fan Hamilton can still kiss my tropical ass, I lost all respect for him after he pulled a couple of stunts during the last season. Kovalainen is a big ?. Same as the new Force India outfit (being it a Spiker/Arrows spinoff I dont expect much tho)

cs363
03-13-2008, 03:15 AM
This season will see our first nice race in F1 ever. Singapore will be hosting it.

Just to clarify - he means night race as opposed to nice, though of course I'm sure it will be a lovely spectacle, lol

The key to enjoying/understanding F1 is to know about the behind the scenes goings on and politics etc, though to be honest I'm never bored by cars with loads of horsepower and ridiculous top speeds! :D

goretro77
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
The key to enjoying/understanding F1 is to know about the behind the scenes goings on and politics etc, though to be honest I'm never bored by cars with loads of horsepower and ridiculous top speeds! :D

Funny how I view the same F1 cars with a slight difference....loads of horsepower, lots of downforce and yet very twitchy handling requiring lots of driver skill to maintain control. The straights don't get my blood going as much as the turns. :bigthumbu

Trance4c
03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Opps.. yep, I did mean Night!! haha

This is great, I usually post up something with the beginning of the season and had followed up with some GP reviews but it seemed like no one was interested or liked F1 on the board. So I appreciate the posts guys, it will make it that much more fun!!

I agree that Lewis made a couple of personal calls that his team told him to do otherwise that really ruined the show last year. There isn't much grey area when you disobey team instructions during your race when you first setup your strategy.

I am really interested to see if Heidfeld & Kubica in the BMW's can really bring the fight to McLaren and Ferrari! I'm also interested to see how much progress Red Bull has made and where Renault is going to end up.

I also agree that while straight line speed is great, the amount of G force these cars do laterally is what really makes my eyes pop. 4, even to the extreme 5 G's laterally. What makes this even more interesting this year will be the loss of the drivers aids. Real raw talent behind the wheel will become even more important.

W00t for the fact that Practice starts tonight!!!!!

Luis C
03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
There are plenty of F1 diehard fans here... mostly from europe and some of us in other corners of the world although there is a small american F1 crowd around... just wait till the season gets on the way.

Last season BMW made it clear that they are capable of taking the fight to ML and Ferrari lets see where it goes. I dont spect much out of RB/TR, they havent had much too show in the past few years except for the new drivers every 5 GPs (mainly TR, RB rooster is more stable).

One big question mark for this season is Renault, last years abysmal display of under performance can be a mayor issue even with Fonzie back in da' house, he is no miracle worker and even though his input in car performance is highly taken into account in the French outfit I dont think Renault will have the manpower to implement "last minute" changes (remember that F1 cars are developed one year prior to beginning of the next season, that is, this years car was designed and developed during 2007).

Toyota...? what? they are still in F1? :rolleyes:
Hon.. duh again this year?
Super no-money-guri
Williams...er... uh... ah...

cs363
03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
^^ Agreed on the Renault question mark. Their pre-season testing performance has been pretty average at best, whether they genuinely have problems or are hedging remains to be seen.
If they do have another bad season then they may not be back in '09 as Carlos Ghosn (Renault/Nissan CEO) has publicly stated on several occasions that they will only stay in F1 if they are winning, so the writing is definitely on the wall in their pits!
Toyota will struggle even if they get the car performing up to standard as I don't believe they have the driver line-up to take it to the front runners.
Now, my biggest problem is whether to be cheering for McLaren (my long time favourite team) or Kimi Raikkonen (my favourite driver)! Oh well, either way its a nice afternoon on the couch in front of the big screen with a case of beer! :)

Trance4c
03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
There are plenty of F1 diehard fans here...

Well... could'a fouled me! haha.. I have been posting up randomness over the past three-four season an usually I don't get much reply.

Anyway.. I think Williams is a bigger threat to BMW than we give them credit for yet. (at least, I hope so)

I'm hoping Toyota (I like Jarno.. come on man!!) will have a fight for Red Bull. They have looked better since the new Adrian Newy design. Coulthard & Webber are very seasoned.

I think it will be interesting to see how Sebastian Bourdais does coming from Champ Car.

We'll see if Nakajima runs over anymore of his pit crew and if he makes it the full season haha.

Also, for me.. its not always about the front runners. There is the front, the back of the front, the mid pack which is broken down into the forerunners and the laggers, and then there is the back of the pack. I really see it as about 4-5 different battle grounds. So while I might talk about a team like Red Bull, realistically having no title chance, I see their battle elsewhere an that is fine with me. :)

Only a couple more hours to go before the first practice!!!! Hope we have a good following this year on the board, we need more people to chat.

Ghosty
03-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Having witnessed three formula one races firsthand at the now-defunct USGP, I can attest to my fascination with the sport.

I must tell you, that course may not have been the best in Formula One history, but if you were sitting in the stands at the end of the final corner, when the cars were blasting past you full-bore, down that straight that's the fastest in F1 (380kph, as I recall), you wouldn't care. No, I don't know all the ins-and-outs or all the gossip or tabloid rigmarole, but even as a Yank, I do follow the sport.

I was there, right in the rabid crowd, when the 2005 Michellin tyre fiasco took place. There were reports of the governor calling in the army to quell the fans. We were all scared for our safety.

I was there when Takuma Sato took third place at the 2004 USGP, and ever since, I've had a soft spot for the guy, no matter how many cars he wrecks, no matter how low he scores.

I also went to the 2006 race, where hometown favorite Scott Speed trashed his car in the first turn. Dramatic, but sad. I might be willing to go up to Canada to see that GP this year if time and money allows.

My current favorite is Hamilton, though I'm anxious to learn what Bourdais. I'd love to support my team (Toyota) more, but I can't justify it because of the finance/points ratio.

Here's the results for Friday Practice 2...

1) Hamilton, McLaren-Mercedes , 1:26.559
2) Webber, Red Bull-Renault , 1:27.473 + 0.914
3) Massa, Ferrari , 1:27.640 + 1.081
4) Kovalainen, McLaren-Mercedes , 1:27.683 + 1.124
5) Coulthard, Red Bull-Renault , 1:28.037 + 1.478
6) Raikkonen, Ferrari , 1:28.208 + 1.649
7) Trulli, Toyota , 1:28.292 + 1.733
8) Rosberg, Williams-Toyota , 1:28.352 + 1.793
9) Fisichella, Force India-Ferrari , 1:28.469 + 1.910
10) Glock, Toyota , 1:28.582 + 2.023
11) Button, Honda , 1:28.632 + 2.073
12) Heidfeld, BMW Sauber , 1:28.731 + 2.172
13) Alonso, Renault , 1:28.779 + 2.220
14) Barrichello, Honda , 1:28.849 + 2.290
15) Kubica, BMW Sauber , 1:28.860 + 2.301
16) Nakajima, Williams-Toyota , 1:29.077 + 2.518
17) Sutil, Force India-Ferrari , 1:29.161 + 2.602
18) Vettel, Toro Rosso-Ferrari , 1:29.193 + 2.634
19) Piquet, Renault , 1:29.518 + 2.959
20) Bourdais, Toro Rosso-Ferrari , 1:29.605 + 3.046
21) Sato, Super Aguri-Honda , 1:30.663 + 4.104
22) Davidson, Super Aguri-Honda , 1:31.527 + 4.968

Not to hijack the thread, but while I'm in good company....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/USGP_pit_lineup_sm.jpg

That's pit day 2005. All the manufactures on gasoline alley opened the pit boxes the day before practice, letting us onlookers oogle at things like sculpted areo bits, molded driver's seats, bonnets and such. You may notice the bonnets closest to the camera are from the long-gone Minardi team. The next closest one, in yellow, is Jordan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/Jaguarpit.jpg

Here's the Jaguar team hard at work. WOW isn't that a blast from the past. They were one of the few teams actually doing something. Ferrari had very few people working the pits at the time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/DSCF0036.jpg

Lap 9. We hear the crowd groan, and an enormous cloud of smoke rose from somewhere in the final corner. Then we see this car sliding down the track... and it stops in front of my stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/DSCF0035.jpg

The tyres are all crooked and fucked. The crowd is now mostly silent now, and we see the driver squirming. We all know now that he is alive, but he is writhing in pain now, and it doesn't look pretty. Because the car is actually in front of the pit lane, it takes an excruciating three minutes before a medical car can even arrive, as it must make the entire trip around the circuit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/RScrash.jpg

But safety crews arrive, finally, and we come to learn that the car's driver is none other than Ralf Schumacher. He was put on a stretcher and would be out of commission for some time with back trouble.

This turned out to be quite an eventful crash. Not only was Ralf injured, but we would later find out the tyre itself suddenly failed at the apex of the corner. As it turned out, the surface was extremely abrasive, and the tyres were not designed to handle the diamond-cut surface combined with the loads of downforce and g-forces at work. Ralf would again blow a tyre in 2005, during a practice run, and that set into motion the entire 2005 Michelin tyre fiasco. It was history unraveling right there.

My other pictures kind of suck. There's only so much you can take in from one vantage point. But there you have it.

EDIT: Whoops... my memory served me incorrectly. Ralfy did not in fact blow a tyre in 2004, he just lost control. However, he blew his tyre on the same banked curve in 2005, and THAT set in to motion the tyre fiasco. He's had a lot of bad luck on that corner to say the least.

Trance4c
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Ghosty, awesome post!!

I think quali tonight is going to be very interesting.

Ghosty
03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Ghosty, awesome post!!

I think quali tonight is going to be very interesting.

Thanks! :)

Does anyone think I should make a thread in multimedia or in this section with some assorted pics? I'd be happy to do so but I don't want to create a disturbance.

Trance4c
03-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Ghosty - Just post up if you wanna man.

As for Quali.. all I can say is.. wow!

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/imgactu/zoom08/kubica-melbourne-z-22_140308.jpg

These cars just look amazing, an very raw...

Who would have said Ferrari would have that big of a challenge, let alone a failure two years in a row?

McLaren looked great... BMW are great, even Toyota both in the top 10. What a drive by Vettle in Toro Rosso! Nico qualified well at Williams and great drive by Coulthard in the Red Bull!

Sad for Alonso.. didn't even make it out of Q2, and Jr waaaayyyy back there haha.

Bourdais needs to get his shit together with his teammate doing so much better.

At least Honda didn't pull in the back of the field.

All in all, lots should be happening tomorrow.

Luis C
03-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Quali was nice to see and made me feel fuzzy inside... why? you may ask. Well, Im currently 38 and have been following F1 since I was 13.
I had the fortunate luck of watching the great ones go a it, I also saw the sad day that Senna lost his life after hurling into a concrete wall at 210 KPH... but since the late 90's there was something missing in F1 and wich tonight I witnessed a PARTIAL return of and that is DRIVER SKILLS.

You see, boys and girls, back in the day an F1 car was meant to be driven with one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter much like we do everyday, electronics were just limited to one way radio comunicactions and data processing was done on paper and pencil with the help of an HP calculator. Drivers actually drove the car and had to be educated on everything from tires to aerodynamics, unlike modern day F1 where driving is more like a PS2 or Xbox game due to amount of electronics now involved.

Well tonight I saw more that one loose his tail due to the total absence of Traction Control, Engine Brake and tomorrow we will get to see witch drivers have the finesse to take off at full speed without loosing their position due to excessive wheel spin as of this season launch control has been banned.
We will also see who has the ability to take corners while practically drifting over them now that TC wont be there and "throwing" the car around corners will be much easier.

This promises to be one heck of an F1 season.

Trance4c
03-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Luis, I soooo agree. This is a great step back for F1, bringing more emphasis to the driver for the outcome.

cs363
03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Luis, I soooo agree. This is a great step back for F1, bringing more emphasis to the driver for the outcome.

X 2 +

goretro77
03-16-2008, 02:07 AM

Totally agree! A few more hours before the start of the race.

This place www.chicagoindoorracing.com is keeping their bar/restaurant/billiard/arcade area open just for the race. I'll be heading out there later on tonight. I hope Hamilton wins tonight.
I wish Good Luck on the Toyota cars too.

Trance4c
03-16-2008, 06:11 AM
So much just happened in that race.. that I don't even want to go into it.. all I can say is WOW!!! HOLLY CRAP!!!!!!

That was an amazing race.

goretro77
03-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Fun, FUn, FUN Race!!! :)

:bigthumbu

Hamilton wins with the McLaren Mercedes! Congrats to Williams-Toyota for a 3rd place finish.

Glock and Trulli for the Factory Toyota F1 cars were DNFs. :( Their best lap times were almost 2 seconds off the pace. I hope they get these cars sorted very soon.

Trance4c
03-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Fun, FUn, FUN Race!!! :)

:bigthumbu

Hamilton wins with the McLaren Mercedes! Congrats to Williams-Toyota for a 3rd place finish.

Glock and Trulli for the Factory Toyota F1 cars were DNFs. :( Their best lap times were almost 2 seconds off the pace. I hope they get these cars sorted very soon.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/imgactu/zoom08/start-melbourne-z-04_160308.jpg

Seriously.. Toyota looked to be in better fortunes, an I think they are, but ultimate pace is way faster than what they are doing. They are only a 6-12th team right now. The mid-field as we saw has gotten a LOT closer.

I am amazed at Bourdais run up into 4th.. I wish he could have finished there. I have a feeling we will be seeing him take any opportunity he can but be very smart. He is a multiple Champ Car champion, lets see what he can do this season when people aren't dropping like flies all over the track.

Things looked better at Red Bull again.. Coulthard and Webber still being a large threat to Renault for the top of the midfield.

Force India all out after the first few laps, Fisi on the first lap and his teammate only a couple later.

Some really bad moves by some if you ask me. Massa and Coulthard was bonehead. Ended both their days cause Massa stuck his nose down in there.

Not a single Ferrari car finished the race, infact.. Bourdais was their most likely.

Good work for Alonso, ended up snagging 4th. I hope some wise decision making during the race showed he was still a champion even if in a car off the pace. After all, only 7 cars finished the race I believe?

Amazing race.. BMW looked strong.

I DID NOTE, that Heidfeld pitted the same time! This is a great indication that both cars are on the same pace right now. The only exception would be anyone was still retaining gas off the start of the race, but that would just be dumb not to maximize your strategy. So I believe this tells me that we are going to really see BMW taking it to Ferrari and McLaren this year! I do expect to see a 3 way battle at the top.

Honda.. wow, Honda was running solid! Just amazing turn around, now if they can just get some finishes!

Nakajima, oh brother. Nelson Jr, who?

Nico Rosberg had a great drive, I do believe he an Wiliams will continue to be nipping at the heels of the front runners. Great job by them!!

Sato in the Super Aguri running in 9-10th'ish as I recall for a bit during the opening, he must have had an excellent start! Same with Kimi, up 8 spots.

Just amazing race, this season does promise to be very intense.