PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte swap

monny357
03-12-2008, 07:06 PM
so i have a 94 st that need new rods an pistons and also has a lot of miles on it. so instead of fixing the old motor with a bunch of miles, i was thinking about converting to a 3sgte. i'v found stuff on here that the best way to go about it is to get a front clip so that i have everything ill need for the swap... do u guys agree? and i know that ill have to get a different tranny, so what would be the best tranny for the engine? i'v read that the tranny out of a solara migh be a better bet than the one out of an mr2, this true? they say i would have trouble making an mr2 tranny work and fit and the solara would be way easier. but which is the actual better tranny?

burnyd
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
well first is that your only car?

Ask yourself if you want the reliability of that car, I love my st it gets 35 mpg and everything stock @ 185k!!.. because in all honesty your not going to get it with a motor and transmission that do not belong in that car.. not only that but just goofy little electrical problems and what not....

you can search this question is commonly asked... but to summarize what you are asking your best bet is to buy a clip and then sell the awd trans with that clip. You have two options for a fwd transmission use a gt transmission (s54,s53) Or a transmission out of a mr2/Solara v6 5speed.. now to get them working and to converting one you might want to search.

ciento44
03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
^In terms of tranny, matter of opinion. I personally like the Solara better, better synchros.

Have i actually driven both? No. Solara tranny isn't easy to find.

Clip is the best way to go.

NOW, the issues:
You have an ST. That means you have a 7afe engine. 3sgte will not be a bolt in affair, you'll need custom mounts.

The clip may not help you as much as us 5th gens, unless you find an ST205 clip.

You may want to look into 4age 20v or 4agze swaps if you're looking for more fun, and maybe a slightly easier swap.

I don't know of anyone with a 6th gen ST with a 3sgte. Lagos may be able to shed some more light on the subject for you.

monny357
03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
yea the high mpg is great but one day i did want upgrade and make more power. so with needing new rods and pistons already.... i thought i might as well do what i want now instead of wasting the money on those an putting it into what i want.

ciento44
03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
If you want turbo and quick... may be cheaper just to do a bottom end build on your existing motor and then turbo that.

But again... i'd wait to see what someone more experienced with 6th gens says. :)

monny357
03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
thanks i went an made a post under the 6th gen setion... i maybe be quiker to do that but u think it woul be cheaper too? i dont know that much.... but i now turbo kits can be really expenive and then having to pay and get the bottom end bult sounds expensive to me.

burnyd
03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
If you want turbo and quick... may be cheaper just to do a bottom end build on your existing motor and then turbo that.

But again... i'd wait to see what someone more experienced with 6th gens says. :)

Honestly theres not much of a difference... Just wiring is different I meen thats really all I can think of on the top of my head.... also when you put the new tranny in for e153 theres a difference in where the one mount is but thats all I can really think of.

Toy_Celi
03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
^In terms of tranny, matter of opinion. I personally like the Solara better, better synchros.

Have i actually driven both? No. Solara tranny isn't easy to find.

Clip is the best way to go.

NOW, the issues:
You have an ST. That means you have a 7afe engine. 3sgte will not be a bolt in affair, you'll need custom mounts.

Only one custom mount... the passenger side, the mount is just before the strut tower, and it needs to be dead on, a bracket can be made.... O YAH! i read ChrisD's swap sticky!! :D:D:D

as for the swap, into an ST, i wouldnt recommend it, the wiring is WAY different then the 3SGTE, you will lose some stuff. A common loss is the A/C, but you can have a little thing built to run that, but thats more money ontop of the swap....

monny357
03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
so what would u suggest instead of the swap?

nyana107
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
rebuild your engine and turbo :-)
less of a headache from a swap

Toy_Celi
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
so what would u suggest instead of the swap?

replace the 7AFE, better gas milage, more reliable with that body... when you swap the engine up for something with more power and torque, your compromising the frame and other pieces designed to work with that engine..

BUT, if its something your willing to tackle and upgrade to stronger stuff as needed, i would go with it.... If its what YOU want, than you do it....

Im not going to tell you not to do it, because its not my car to mess with, so if you want to do it, than do it, and have fun while you do it!

ciento44
03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Honestly theres not much of a difference... Just wiring is different I meen thats really all I can think of on the top of my head.... also when you put the new tranny in for e153 theres a difference in where the one mount is but thats all I can really think of.

Dude.

He has an ST.

ciento44
03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
thanks i went an made a post under the 6th gen setion... i maybe be quiker to do that but u think it woul be cheaper too? i dont know that much.... but i now turbo kits can be really expenive and then having to pay and get the bottom end bult sounds expensive to me.

Don't buy a kit... piece it together yourself.

Getting a bottom end built isn't that bad...

We got a fully built 420a bottom end for my buddy's drag neon for about ~$1000 including parts, and it's been fine to over 500whp so far.

burnyd
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Dude.

He has an ST.

Yes but, once you swap in the E153 / S5x theres not mutch of a difference... the hubs will work with ethier outer axles.. plus too he will have different mounts at that point to accomidate a S series motor

ciento44
03-12-2008, 09:26 PM
^Right, that's what i'm saying....

PITA.

burnyd
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
^^ Well its not really "that hard" Everything is essentially bolt on except for the one motor mount and wiring. Remember my blue car that was swapped and e153 swapped?

If my St blew up tomorrow and it was the case of buying another Used 7afe(5-700) there pretty expensive, Getting it rebuilt (alot of money) Or getting a motor swap. Chances are I would go with a motor swap... Something like a silvertop there going for pretty cheepo on ebay for 6-700 dollars for a ecu wiring harness and motor... I could prolly get that into my car for a average of 1kish and still retain my mpg and have a good 50 plus more hp than what my 7afe would normally give me.

How much money do you have to go into this project?

monny357
03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
i have in the 4 -5k rnage to work with probably closer to 4.

burnyd
03-12-2008, 10:30 PM
i have in the 4 -5k rnage to work with probably closer to 4.

oh your at 3sgte swap range.. just go to the forced induction forum and look through the stickies and research it.

partyball
03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
monny just out of curiousity are you the guy from newcelica that made the post about your 94 st. Glad to see you found your way here. This site is full of info.

Lagos
03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
so i have a 94 st that need new rods an pistons and also has a lot of miles on it. so instead of fixing the old motor with a bunch of miles, i was thinking about converting to a 3sgte. i'v found stuff on here that the best way to go about it is to get a front clip so that i have everything ill need for the swap... do u guys agree? and i know that ill have to get a different tranny, so what would be the best tranny for the engine? i'v read that the tranny out of a solara migh be a better bet than the one out of an mr2, this true? they say i would have trouble making an mr2 tranny work and fit and the solara would be way easier. but which is the actual better tranny?

read this thread. it has a very detailed howto that shows you everything you need to do to swap a 3sgte into a 6th gen ST. its not hard at all to do.
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28825

monny357
03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
yea i thanks for the all the help