PDA

View Full Version : What questions to ask?

4thgenceli
03-12-2008, 02:26 AM
I found a 1988 alltrac within a 90 minute drive from me. I will be heading there next week to have a look at the thing.

I called the guy on the phone only to learn a whole lotta NOTHIN about the thing. He said it doesn't run, and he don't know what's wrong with it. I really didn't get a whole lotta anything outta him.

I will be taking a battery to see if it cranks or not. I will be getting the VIN (Carfax anybody?!).

What other questions do I ask him? I am torn between the following scenarios.

1. Buy alltrac. Fix alltrac, get running. Donate 89 gt to charity or sell.

2. Buy alltrac. Fix alltrac, get running and swap 3sgte into 89gt. Scrap out remaining of alltrac.

3. Buy alltrac. Fix to running status. Make minor repairs on 89gt and keep both 4th gens.

extremeskillz
03-12-2008, 02:28 AM
I like option 3. As far as him not knowing anything about the car is another reason you should be able to talk him down big time in price.

4thgenceli
03-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Well he said it's not running, and he doesn't know what the problem is. It's about a $500 tow job.

Here's his ad.

rare 88 awd turbo toyota celica. needs work. body and interior in good shape. would like to fix myself but i dont have enough time. please call if interested. 520-779-0056

4thgenceli
03-12-2008, 05:18 AM
But in all seriousness, what are some questions to ask?

I know the simple shit.

How long have you had it.
When was it driven last, and was it by you.
Has there been any engine/tranny/etc work or repairs?
What work has been done to it (repairs or maintenance) and do you have receipts.

I will pull a carfax on it also, and hopefully take some pictures. What else should I look at on the alltrac?

cs363
03-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Can you get a mechanic to check it out for you? You could be buying a whole bunch of trouble if you aren't careful and from what you say about the seller I don't think any answers he does give you are worth a tin of crap.
Any idea of what sort of price he is looking for?

grayscale
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
You pretty much covered it. As far as buying one car from the next, the questions are all the same for the most part. There aren't really any alltrac specific questions to ask cause the guy obviously doesn't know much about it to begin with. Depending on your state laws you might want to know when the last time it was registered, some states will charge you for some one elses back taxes. If he's never driven it, I would want to know where he got it from and why and so on. Just make sure you aren't buying some one's project gone wrong, I see a lot of alltracs sold like that.

cs363
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
You pretty much covered it. As far as buying one car from the next, the questions are all the same for the most part. There aren't really any alltrac specific questions to ask cause the guy obviously doesn't know much about it to begin with. Depending on your state laws you might want to know when the last time it was registered, some states will charge you for some one elses back taxes. If he's never driven it, I would want to know where he got it from and why and so on. Just make sure you aren't buying some one's project gone wrong, I see a lot of alltracs sold like that.

x2