PDA

View Full Version : Head unit & Speaker questions

dan93st
02-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey guys -

So here's a new one... I've noticed lately that if I'm playing music loudly for awhile, that my headunit seems to heat up nicely, and after awhile just stop outputting sound. It randomly gets all muffled for a few seconds and then stops all together. I think it's due to overheating, but I dont know why it would be overheating, as it didn't use to, and I'm not playing music any more loudly than I have in the past...any ideas?

On a completely unrelated note, a friend bought me a pair of JL Audio TR400-Cxi speakers for the front of my car, I put them in this weekend and they sound pretty good. The stock speakers had a bit more bass to them, but the JLs get louder before distorting. I'm planning to get a small amp eventually (prolly like 50wx4 at the most), anybody have any recomendations for the 6.5" speakers for the rear? I was thinking maybe JL XR series or Eclipse SC8264 speakers... something that has decent power handling, and decent bass, something that can get into the 50-60Hz area, as I dont plan on adding a sub... Any thoughts/suggestions/etc welcome.

david in germany
02-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Hey guys -

So here's a new one... I've noticed lately that if I'm playing music loudly for awhile, that my headunit seems to heat up nicely, and after awhile just stop outputting sound. It randomly gets all muffled for a few seconds and then stops all together. I think it's due to overheating, but I dont know why it would be overheating, as it didn't use to, and I'm not playing music any more loudly than I have in the past...any ideas?

I would first need to ask if you have the correct load on the deck 4ohm. If you have added too many speakers the internal amp can be getting too hot. if not I would recomend having the deck checked because you have a problem with it

dan93st
02-24-2005, 08:11 AM
I would first need to ask if you have the correct load on the deck 4ohm. If you have added too many speakers the internal amp can be getting too hot. if not I would recomend having the deck checked because you have a problem with it

Yes, it's just the stock speakers hooked up to it (well, until this weekend when we replaced the stock speakers with the JLs) But it did the same thing before we replaced the speakers, so I know the new speakers are not causing the problem. The load should be at 4 ohm, as I did not change any wiring or what-not. I should be correct in assuming that its 4 ohm out of the box, no? And even then, it wouldn't explain why this is something that started up recently... It's just an inexpensive Kenwood cd receiver thingey, it prolly isn't worth fixing if there's a problem with it, replacing it would likely be a better option...

david in germany
02-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Yes, it's just the stock speakers hooked up to it (well, until this weekend when we replaced the stock speakers with the JLs) But it did the same thing before we replaced the speakers, so I know the new speakers are not causing the problem. The load should be at 4 ohm, as I did not change any wiring or what-not. I should be correct in assuming that its 4 ohm out of the box, no? And even then, it wouldn't explain why this is something that started up recently... It's just an inexpensive Kenwood cd receiver thingey, it prolly isn't worth fixing if there's a problem with it, replacing it would likely be a better option...
I would venture to say it is the deck. does it only do it with cd, or only fm, or all reguardless? Then it is the deck. Good luck.
David

(Never liked Kenwood even though they have some good things)

Mike 89GTS
02-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Damn! - Mine's been doing the exact same thing for
like a year now. - It gets worse the longer you put
it off. ;) - It's the deck.

I had a bastard of a time figurin' it out too.
No one seemed to know what was wrong.
Bad ground? - Short?
I replaced all my speakers and wiring and it
still did it. - Been workin' on my new
deck install this week. - Should finish tomorrow.

My old one was a Clarion.

What's yours?

Mike 89GTS

dan93st
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Mine's a Kenwood that cost $99 2 years ago... so a POS basically, but it played CDs so it got the job done...