PDA

View Full Version : hood alterations

Toy_Celi
03-09-2008, 05:01 AM
could i take the trunk shocks and put them under the hood so they hold up the hood instead of my bent jacked up hood prop?

PhillyDRFT
03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
yes, this thread belongs in asthetics though.

VikingJZ
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah you'll have to do some drilling and what not/

Hardest part is getting them to line up correctly. I would reccoment buying new struts though.

Thats how my car is. SCs are notorious for blown trunk struts. It sucks because I now have a TRUNK PROP...lol. I used a lock bar from my old Craftsman tool box.

I'll probably still have it when we all meet up in TN....so feel free to laugh.

goretro77
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Why not buy a new hood prop? You can probably avoid any drilling that way.

Toy_Celi
03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Why not buy a new hood prop? You can probably avoid any drilling that way.

because the holes got warped too.... the wife was helping me put the hood on, and i put the prop in and i told her "DONT LET GO" and she said "Look the hood prop holds it for me" and it bent both holes and the prop twisted too... if you dont know how that would happen, well, the hood spun around and bent it all out of wack!!

VikingJZ
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Are you sure you don't need a new hood mang?

Tis why the average girl should not help with the car. Last time that happened to me was on my chica's car. She wanted to pull her oil filter and then crawled under and unscrewed the tranny filter (Which Saturd conveniently made look like an oil filter. Great idea if I actually were there to do it.)

Toy_Celi
03-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Are you sure you don't need a new hood mang?

Tis why the average girl should not help with the car. Last time that happened to me was on my chica's car. She wanted to pull her oil filter and then crawled under and unscrewed the tranny filter (Which Saturd conveniently made look like an oil filter. Great idea if I actually were there to do it.)

the hood is in great shape, just the hole needs to be reshaped, but im too busy... maybe take the ole spring system off an old truck and slap it in there...

yeah i know that now lol! she helped me work on my dads suv, and i told her specifically DO NOT GO UNDER THE CAR! and i dropped a bolt, first thing she does is reach under the car, and i yelled DONT! If i drop this starter, its going to hit you in the head, and i gaurentee it isnt going to let your head stay in one piece, so get out of there NOW! and she grabbed the bolt anyway..... so i gave her one of those hollywood magazines, and she sat inside reading about celebrities till i finished lol

revv_head
03-10-2008, 05:47 AM
LOL. Atleast my woman listens to the instructions i give. And to answer your question its very possible and quite easy really. and it also looks alot better. It was done to my brothers Holden Calais VL (5.0Litre V8 lol just to mention that).

Toy_Celi
03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
LOL. Atleast my woman listens to the instructions i give. And to answer your question its very possible and quite easy really. and it also looks alot better. It was done to my brothers Holden Calais VL (5.0Litre V8 lol just to mention that).

Lol dont worry i had a talk with her already about it...

I think it would just be more convienent... im sick if having to rely on that 1/4in stick to hold the hood from dropping on my dome, smashing it into the engine...

so its either some struts for it, or the wound metal thing on old cars....

Conrad_Turbo
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
the hood is in great shape, just the hole needs to be reshaped, but im too busy...

If you don't have time to reshape a hole, then you don't have time to figure out how to build the bracketry and mount a gas strut to prop up your hood. Sure you can make a prop rod for your Celica, I've done it for MR2's...but it does take a bit more time than fixing an existing problem.

Toy_Celi
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
If you don't have time to reshape a hole, then you don't have time to figure out how to build the bracketry and mount a gas strut to prop up your hood. Sure you can make a prop rod for your Celica, I've done it for MR2's...but it does take a bit more time than fixing an existing problem.

not really... to straighten both holes i would have to insert something circle or semicircle and then pull it to shape and do that with both sides, or drill a few holes and bolt up some struts...

How would i make a strong, good prop that will fit both those holes in my schools metal shop... i have it next hour so i can probably make one, some 1/4in wrought iron or what?

O and i dont know if you didnt read it, or understand but the prop is bent outta wack too, so i owuld have to straighten everything out

tuner4life
03-12-2008, 06:31 PM
My woman only does what I tell her to when she is helping me. Makes things easier :)