PDA

View Full Version : got engine trouble!!!! HELP>>>

pioneca88GT-4
03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
g'day guys, i have just resently done some mods on my 88 GT-4 celica (3SGTE).
The problem i have is that when i start my car (cold) it usualy holds revs at around 1400RPM while it worms up then drops to aroun 850RPM and runs fine, after i done my mods it no longer does this. i have to hold my foot on the accelerater pedal for like 5min or untill i drive it and it worms up before it will run on it's own, after it has wormed up it is ok.

can some one please help me to solve this problem as it is giving me the shits.

oldschoolst165
03-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I assume the idle problem started after the intake work if so suspect a vacuum leak. Get some carb cleaner or a propane torch with the tip removed and a hose installed. Start the car have someone keep it running spray the carb cleaner or move the running propane{not lit of course**over the area of intake vac lines etc.when the idle rises you have found your leak, the propane or carb cleaner will correct the lean condition created by the vac leak. PS try not to start a fire, good luck

Shadowlife25
03-08-2008, 04:52 AM
A spray bottle filled with soapy water is accepted practice as well, also not flammable :D

pioneca88GT-4
03-08-2008, 09:06 AM
i thought it might be a vacume leak, but the only lines hoses) i took off were the ones comming out of each cam cover. both were going to the factory in take pipe, as this no longer exists i replaced those hose lines with mini pod filters (oil breathers).

here is a pic, have i done this right thing. or do those hoses i have removed need to go to the intake pipe? if so, ill have to get one custome made.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/1/3/4/enginebay.jpg

If you look closely just to the right of the intercooler you can see them.

celicaGT90_05
03-08-2008, 09:11 AM
ok first things first, what mod(s) did you perform?

pioneca88GT-4
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
i moved battery to the boot.

i removed factory intake and replaced it with short ram intake that consists of a pod filter and and short pipe. the short pipe has no holes in it and i still had the hoses comming out of the cam covers ( they went to the intake) so i took them off and replaced them with oil breather filters (mini pod filters)

then i ran a 2gauge power wire from the engine bay to the boot wear the batt is now lacated, the ground for the batt i screwed to the boot floor with an ilet terminal, because there was paint i sanded away the paint wear i screwed the ilet down.

i also extended the mass air flow metre plug with 6inch extentions, this i am 100% sure is done right, im very serten this is not the problem.

other then these mods i replaced a few vacume lines with blue silicone ones, i had a look and a feal of those and could not see or hear any leaks.

these are all the mods i have done so far.

hang on,
i did replace the boost line for the turbo as it was deterierating, i have not spliced in the boost t yet, but it is about 10 inch's longer as it has to be that long so i can mount the boost T on a near-by bracket.

oldschoolst165
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM
those breathers are most likely your problem all crankcase ventilation should be metered for a specific controlled vac leak that is why it is called positive crankcase ventilation. I dont see the value of soapy water on vac leaks as it is drawn in and does little to add hydrocarbon for fuel representation though soap is excellent for pressure leaks as it blows bubbles. I dont mean to be rude but i teach emmisions certification here in the states.I would like to help my fellow GT4 owners. The wire extensions should be ok assuming the connections are soldered and wire gauge and strand count is same. Try taking those pods off and plug them all this is only good to diagnose the idle problem you must have pcv. I hope that helps, good luck.

jlspec
03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Your issue is those breathers, reconnect them back to your intake it should solve your problem.

Shadowlife25
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
those breathers are most likely your problem all crankcase ventilation should be metered for a specific controlled vac leak that is why it is called positive crankcase ventilation. I dont see the value of soapy water on vac leaks as it is drawn in and does little to add hydrocarbon for fuel representation though soap is excellent for pressure leaks as it blows bubbles. I dont mean to be rude but i teach emmisions certification here in the states.I would like to help my fellow GT4 owners. The wire extensions should be ok assuming the connections are soldered and wire gauge and strand count is same. Try taking those pods off and plug them all this is only good to diagnose the idle problem you must have pcv. I hope that helps, good luck.

So you're NOT trying to be rude right? Elitist is okay though...

So exactly what does the fact that you teach emissions in "the states" have to do with anything?

Water by its nature has the highest octane rating possible. This means that it won't combust or "burn". Therefore, when introduced into the intake or fueling chain, it will cause a stumble or LOW idle speed.

USEFUL FOR FINDING VACUUM LEAKS.

sloceli
03-10-2008, 10:49 PM
The further of the 2 hoses, the one closest to the fire wall goes to your idle control valve. You need that line connected post afm. The pcv should be fine vented just make sure the hole in the intake is plugged.

Shadowlife25
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
The further of the 2 hoses, the one closest to the fire wall goes to your idle control valve. You need that line connected post afm. The pcv should be fine vented just make sure the hole in the intake is plugged.

Agreed. Vented PCV is fine like sloceli said, remember though that the way yours is set up, it will possibly start to mist oil outside of the filter over time, so keep a close eye on it and change filters as necessary. Another option is to use a catch-can.

Since you need to recirculate, you can probably find a barbed fitting made of pvc or brass from a plumbing store and just drill a hole to accommodate it. This should cut down on cost and still be very effective.

-Mario

pioneca88GT-4
03-11-2008, 12:10 AM
were is the idle control valve. both hoses went straight to the factory intake pipe?

sloceli
03-11-2008, 12:19 AM
The idle control valve in on the bottom of the throttle body. The hose closer to the fire wall is a hard pile which goes on the back side of the engine and then connects to the ICV.

pioneca88GT-4
03-11-2008, 02:53 AM
ok cool ill give it a go, thnaks mate.

The idle control valve in on the bottom of the throttle body. The hose closer to the fire wall is a hard pile which goes on the back side of the engine and then connects to the ICV.