PDA

View Full Version : New to celicas: 1991 GT coupe

Luda
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Figured id actually introduce my self, after my massive post in the motivational posters thread.

I just picked up a 1991 Celica GT coupe, 5 speed. Pristine condition, some rock chips on the hood, needs motor mounts, oil pan gasket, and one or two minor things.

But i picked it up for 1100$ from the original owner, along with a huge stack on paperwork on maintenance, and the original window stickers.

ill have some picture to throw up a little bit later today, words cant describe how good condition this car is. ill throw the pics up after my buddy sends them to me.

celicaGT90_05
03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I wunna see pics! Sounds like you got yourself an excellent car. Just so you know, the oil pan doesnt seem to use a gasket, just RTV sealant. Welcome to the site!

ciento44
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
^errr....

As far as i know it takes a gasket, unless that changed on the 92-93s. I have an oil pan gasket sitting on my floor.

I hope it's not like the old VW Bug radiator story...

geebes
03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
w00t! good deal. Welcome! I second the pics.

sheep
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah we need pics....

Luda
03-07-2008, 05:10 AM
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8394/image033cf6.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image033cf6.jpg)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6899/image032sp6.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image032sp6.jpg)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1386/image030af2.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image030af2.jpg)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8992/image029gf6.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image029gf6.jpg)

some crappy ones from earlier tonight, im waiting for my friend to send me the good ones from a photoshoot last night, few of them have my buddies ballin M5 in the shot as well.

Cavanagh
03-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Nice! Love the color.

sheep
03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
looks like she is in great shape, got any plans for it? or just going to fix the oil leak and such and leave her stock?

Luda
03-07-2008, 05:49 AM
5th marron/pearl care ive had, oddly enough ive never gone looking for the color, thats just the color that my cars have always been.

swapped my competition headunit in today, which goes into protect any time i try to use it, so i was driving without music to day and noticed a whine from the engine bay, but only under load, sounded almost like and obscenely tiny turbo spooling, cant for the life of me figure out what it is.

...stock... hell no. getting some new rubber and a new headunit [swapped the kenwood that came with it back in... got fm/am... but its a cassette player.. and that just wont do]

right now im grabbing some 205/55/14 sumitomos to replace the tires that are on there [they seem to get greasy after they heat up... not fun] and then fix some of the minor problems, get some headers on it since the stock manifold is starting to give out, along with a new header back exhaust since again, the stocker is starting to die. then get some track time on her and see how the suspenion feels and see if i can out drive the stock setup [doubtful, a year or two ago i might have been able to, but i spent the last year behind the wheel of a lifted jeep, turns and handling were foreign to me] then hopefully by summer will have found someplace to get some new suspension goodies, then some new rims and another set of rubber. then the savings for the 3sgte swap begin. planning on grabbing one over the winter/early spring and cleaning it up/possbly rebuilding then taking the celica off the road for a couple weeks and swapping it in.

and ill probably get some new audio equipment in there at some point, used to do SQL comps, gonna see what i can do without throwing the balance of the vehicle off.

sheep
03-07-2008, 05:54 AM
5th marron/pearl care ive had, oddly enough ive never gone looking for the color, thats just the color that my cars have always been.

swapped my competition headunit in today, which goes into protect any time i try to use it, so i was driving without music to day and noticed a whine from the engine bay, but only under load, sounded almost like and obscenely tiny turbo spooling, cant for the life of me figure out what it is.

do you have an ipod charging from your cigerette lighter? if my speakers are turned up and the ipod is off then mine sounds like that, and with my intake you can hear the air sucking through the front of the car so when i rev my engine or when i get on the throttle pretty good it sounds like a turbo i have had like 6 people ask me what kind of turbo i have lol i actually kinda like it

Luda
03-07-2008, 06:01 AM
im guessing its the couple of small rust spots in the exhaust manifold...

but i do have my PDA charging constantly in the cigarette lighter outlet... never thought about that.... ill have to cut power to that and see if the whine stops.

and its not that it bothers me, i just dont like mystery noises. my maxima had a mystery scrape in first+wot. turned out the be the front crossmember slowly tweaking itself to death. the motor fell out about 2 blocks from my house, just as the care hit 297K miles.

my jeep had a mystery noise for about 4K miles, my rear axle stub [passenger side] sheared off at a light.

my olds had a mystery whine, and then it turned into a mystery rattle, and then it turned to a mystery hole in the block.

and my 240sx had a mystery creak, whent to jack it up to take a look and the jack whent through my frame rails and hit my seat....

so ya i really really REALLY f*cking hate mystery noises.

sheep
03-07-2008, 06:03 AM
wow you have the best luck with cars...yeah its time you got a yota they are pretty durable.

i only get the sound when my speakers are turned up, when i turn them down i cant hear the sound anymore

Luda
03-08-2008, 02:39 PM
it happens even when i have no deck in, so im guessing its the exhaust mani, gives me an excuse to pick up the ebay special headers.

ill poke around the engine bay this weekend, took sunday off to give her some TLC.

tuner4life
03-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Nice, welcome to C-tech.

For your motor mounts, get ones from kirkosaurus. there is a thread around here somewhere about them.

for the header, I have the one from surewinproducts off of ebay and it works great.

Nice car, hope it can stay that way!

celicaGT90_05
03-08-2008, 05:25 PM
^errr....

As far as i know it takes a gasket, unless that changed on the 92-93s. I have an oil pan gasket sitting on my floor.

I hope it's not like the old VW Bug radiator story...

All I know is either mine is RTV, or they did a lousy job making the gasket.

Nice car though, interesting color, is that an aftermarket paint job?

sheep
03-08-2008, 07:51 PM
it happens even when i have no deck in, so im guessing its the exhaust mani, gives me an excuse to pick up the ebay special headers.

ill poke around the engine bay this weekend, took sunday off to give her some TLC.

ah well good luck with it, im in the same boat with the motor mounts too, but those are getting fixed next week :) birthday present from my dad lol

geebes
03-08-2008, 11:03 PM
looks excellent!

Luda
03-10-2008, 04:38 AM
looks like the oil pan gasket is starting to give out, saw some oil on the ground after i got to my g/f's house [i might of been raggin on it through the back roads, which are amazing out near her house] and the rear of the pan had a slight leak. i wouldnt of never noticed it but we whent out a little bit after i got there and she flipped out cuz my "god damn car" leaked something onto her driveway. she's always hated my cars, says i love them more then her... which is still undecided.

but ya im looking at some tires, the oilpan gasket, the ebay special headers, motor mounts, and a GOD DAMN CD PLAYER. the radio, sucks. ive started just rolling my windows down and listening to road noise and my motor, hell of a lot more variety then the radio.

and i dont know, i havent really seen any other celicas in the same shade/color, and i found a warranty from a local paint shop in the glovebox. time to sift through the massive stack of papers i got with the car and see if theres anything about paint.

sheep
03-10-2008, 06:38 AM
says i love them more then her... which is still undecided.

WOW i think we have the same girlfriend? lol my leak is starting to get worce im thinking i probably should get it fixed soon, used to be i didnt have to fill it back up for about 2 1/2 weeks now im down to 1 1/2 maybe a week if im a "spirited driver" that week

Luda
03-10-2008, 07:35 AM
i spent about 150 miles in the twisties this weekend and killed about a quart of oil, but im not burning, seems that the higher i keep the RPMS the more oil i force out through the seal, so im gonna try to baby it a bit until i get the motor mounts so i can drop the pan and install the motor mounts at the same time, but ive got the seal incase i need to do it before then.

Newbster
03-10-2008, 07:45 AM
How are you certain that its your oil pan gasket leaking oil?

To be honest, the 5SFE has an issue with oil leaking out the back of the head due to a head gasket defect. Most people that have oil leaks will think, oil pan gasket, than seals, than valve cover gasket, but it will be the HG. Shops also will have no idea because they aren't specialized in our car.

*Also you should check your spark plugs see if they have oil all over them, another problem with our cars/engine is that oil leaks through the spark plug tube seals, getting the spark plugs oily, that could also be another way you could lose oil*

sheep
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
How are you certain that its your oil pan gasket leaking oil?

To be honest, the 5SFE has an issue with oil leaking out the back of the head due to a head gasket defect. Most people that have oil leaks will think, oil pan gasket, than seals, than valve cover gasket, but it will be the HG. Shops also will have no idea because they aren't specialized in our car.

*Also you should check your spark plugs see if they have oil all over them, another problem with our cars/engine is that oil leaks through the spark plug tube seals, getting the spark plugs oily, that could also be another way you could lose oil*

even if the oil pan gasket isnt leaking atm the second he takes it back to the auto parts store and gets whatever else is leaking fixed the oil pan gasket will start leaking lol, couldnt hurt to replace it anyway since our cars are starting to become old timers

*wouldnt that mean he would be burning oil?

Luda
03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
my plugs are clean, my oil is clean, my coolant is clean, and my exhaust is smoke free.

and the oil is kinda weeping from the back edge of the pan, its dry above it.

and here are some much better photos of my celica:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4954/picture013smalllargekr5.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6893/picture015smalllargepg4.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4473/picture008smalllargepg5.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1209/picture005smalllargeos0.jpg

ciento44
03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Once they get a bunch of miles on them, the oil pan gasket seems to let go. Mine leaks to the point that it sprays along the bottom of the car. Probably about 2 quarts an oil change. Like Luda, it's slower leak if i don't dog on it, and gulps pretty hard if i'm beating on it.

Newbster
03-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I wasnt trying to imply that you had a blown head gasket. Just that the 5SFE engine has an oil passage so very close to the back of the head, that an oil leak usually occurs. But that is all that it is, an oil leak, no other symptoms or problems will become of it. (ex. milky coolant, white smoke exhaust, etc..)

But maybe it is your oil pan gasket. When you fix it let us know if it cures the leak.

Luda
03-11-2008, 12:35 AM
thanks for the info newbster, im gonna have to get it up in the air and take a good look at it, i whent to take a look today, laid down and slid into the front bumper... looked like an idiot.

im used to being able to sit underneath my vehicle and change my oil, guess its time to break out the ol floor jack and jack stands.

sheep
03-11-2008, 04:37 AM
nice to see some pics during the day, i need to get some but im usually at work or with the gf and she hates doing stuff that involves my car unless its taking her to the mall or something to spend my money,

looks like its in great shape tho!

Luda
03-11-2008, 06:02 AM
my buddy got some bad ass shots with my celica and my buddies M5, but hes gona MIA.

and my g/f actually took those shots, she has a love/hate relationship with my car.

she loves it, cuz it takes me to see her, and takes her shopping, and she loves driving around.

she hates it cuz it gets more $$$ lovin then she does, but she gets more physical lovin, so it balances out.

which reminds me... i need to make a sig right quick

pioneca88GT-4
03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
g'day mate congratts on ur steal, sweet colour. i was just thinking if u wanna balance out ur weight a good way is to move ur battery to the boot (trunk :USA: , he he) anyway back yo ur car, yeah moving ur batt to the boot will distribute weight better and i give you room in the engine bay for short ram cool air intake, put an aluminium box around your pod fillter and run some pvc pipe from it to just behind the front bumper, some nice cool air. and paint it what ever colour u want.

also when you do ur amps u don't have to run ur power cables down the whole car also cutting down waight. less wire less waight. well that what i did.

But you sound like you know what ur doing anyway.

I made a few mistakes along the way, i was quit informed of what i was doing and done it right but missed a few things.

thankfully there is CELIA TECH and people on it that gave me a hand solving my problem.

Luda
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
when i install the amp/subs im going to try to get the sub+enclosure over the rear axle to help keep that planted, and the amps will be on the back of the seats for ease of access.

im going to get the car weighed after i install it to see if ive kept a close to stock balance, most likely with my in the drivers seat ill still need a little bit more weight in the back... or a bigger sub....

sheep
03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
OOO always a bigger sub...or subs... do 2 15s lol that would be awesome, i think my car would unscrew itself with all that bass but anyway, i lucked out with my car i went to pull the spare out to check the air in it at work after i put on the new tires and found that my car was already wired with 8 gauge wire all i had to do was screw in the amp and sub and i was set lol

pioneca88GT-4
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
my 4th gen is ballenced at (from memory) 70%front 30%rear, i built my boot with my sub box over the rear axel and fibre glassed it around the suport struts, put the batt in the boot. i removed the spare and put in a new floor made of 16mm MDF and counter sunk my amp into the spare wheel well. looks tidy. ill upload some pics when i get home.

sheep
03-12-2008, 06:50 AM
wow too much work for me, i dont really want to spend all the time to make it look fancy, no one is going to see its its in the "boot"

pioneca88GT-4
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
but they'll wanna when they hear it. haha

Luda
03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
ive always wanted to fiberglass, and i just these really awesome ideas, but then all my stuff shows up and im like... ahhhhhhh i wanna get this installed ASAP. so i usually end up with a massive ported box, although i think i might go with a smaller [relative] sealed box for this setup, seeing as im trying to conservse weight and space, or ill make both sealed and ported, and see which i like better.

sealed plays better across a larger range of music though, although ported get sick nasty loud

and are you seriously only feeding your Type R only 400W?

pioneca88GT-4
03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
yeah, 400w RMS at 2ohm DVC (dual voice coil) the sub is rated a 300w RMS. it's an older one, like 2006 i think not one of the new ones there like 500w RMS required.

i think sealed is better, it's not as lound but it is a lot sharper and more responsive. mine is in a sealed box but it's a big one so it's pretty loud but a bit slow due to the box size.

the fiberglassing wasnt that hard i built the main structure out of 16mm MDF and wear i could not bend the wood i glassed, put down a $2 plastic drop sheet in the boot and away i went, went pretty good for my first time.

Luda
03-13-2008, 03:02 AM
the Typer Rs are hella underated, my old dual 12" setup was taking 1KW a piece daily, and 2KW a piece for comps [1KW per VC, bitch to tune 4 amps to run together]

pioneca88GT-4
03-14-2008, 12:41 PM
shit man thats heaps of power. heres a pic.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/1/3/4/TYPER.jpg

Luda
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
damn dude, that shit looks fresh

my installs are usually not that impressive looking, but they sound hella good, although i think im gonna be putting some extra effort into the celica.

pioneca88GT-4
03-17-2008, 12:18 AM
i think having it looking good is a way of showing that you care about your car, but i find simple is usualy better. Don't make it too out there if is it's ur daily driver, because things get damaged.

sent some pics when you have it done.

Luda
03-17-2008, 01:22 AM
ive got a couple other thigns to do before i do the isntall fo the sub/amp, like getting a headunit that plays cd's, and some new wheels/tires and possibly suspension bits.

but ill definalty be posting pics when i do the install and build on the enclosure.

sheep
03-17-2008, 04:55 AM
im just the oppisite, first thing i did was throw stereo stuff in my car, gotta be rollin with some decent tunes playin lol

Luda
03-17-2008, 05:01 AM
new wheels+tires = 791.13
new headunit+sub+amps+speakers = 1600

i think im gonna get the wheels and tires first, since the current tires are tiny, have shit traction, and are on there last leg, and these 14" wheels are very.... um... challenged.

but i do need a new fing headunit, not having cd/usb is killing me.

sheep
03-17-2008, 08:27 AM
where are you getting the rims and tires? i bet you discount tire will beat the price on the same wheels and tires if your take in a quote!

wow you really get into it when you do stereos, i spent maybe 500 on mine if that, granted i installed myself when i had it in my jeep, my celica was wired from the first owner already.

....i run 14 inch rims....

pioneca88GT-4
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
my stereo cost me $1500 - $1700, and on top of that i saved around $3500 on
instalation because i built it all my self. so if you were to price my sterteo i think it would be wort $5000 give or take. but the actual cost to me was around $1650. feberglassing the sub box is were it would have stung me if i did not do it myself (mayby$900) but the whole boot ibc the batt and new floor and the counter sunk amp, i think the boot might have cost me between $2000- $2500.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/1/3/4/ampds.jpg

it's not finnished yet iv got a piece of dark tinted accrylic to go over the amp. you wont even c the amp unless i turn on the neons under there.

Luda
03-18-2008, 01:02 AM
my last comp setup cost ME about 1200 [2x 12" typer r's [100$ a piece] 4x kenwood KAC9102D [125$ a piece] and my headunit, cant remeber the model number, but it cost me about 500$] retail for everything, plus install, would have run atleast 7K, maybe 8-9K.

the box was the 6th one, puleld a 146db @ 31hz, it was obscene. total setup weighed in at about 590lbs, plus the multiple runs of 00 gauge wiring, and the 2 yellow tops.

the celica is going to be more SQ oriented, and should come in at under 100lbs, the box will be quick disco'd, and im toying with the idea of a smaller "aux" sub so i can pull the main box out for track days, and still have some low end.

im looking at a set of motegis, 15x6.5" with 205/55/15 Kumho MX's, mounted, balanced, shipped to my door for 792.13.

and also looking at a set of K sport coil overs for about 900, but im doing my research on them since there not a "brand name".

pioneca88GT-4
03-18-2008, 02:59 AM
sound sweet, can't wait to see pics. my stereo is made more forsq as well it's not as loud as it has been in the past, but it's clear and looks respectible.

I'm focusing more on my engine now. now that the interier is almost done.

but with lack off funds, it's taking it's time.

Luda
03-18-2008, 04:50 AM
ya im still trying to decide what i want more, wheels/tires... coil overs... or a new sq setup... ill most likely decided after the first autox this year, if im out driving the car then ill most like be doing all new suspension... but thats highly doubtful. so most likely:

new headunit, and new fronts [the stockers are dead]

then wheels/tires

then sub/amp

then coil overs

then....

lots of savings...

3sgte

????

win

sheep
03-18-2008, 04:59 AM
i tossed around the idea of a 3sgte swap on my car but im not sure its worth it, pretty soon i think im going to be buying another jeep, i miss wheelin so bad its not even funny, so i think my little puddle jumper will have to do. its still fun to drive and looks good without the engine swap

Luda
03-18-2008, 06:00 AM
ill be picking up another TJ, but ... i love me some boost, and the celica is in great shape, best candidate for a swap that ive owned, figured i might as well do it while i can