PDA

View Full Version : 89 GT - Here's a classic for you!

KeysFlier
03-04-2008, 03:25 AM
I recently purchased my 89 Celica GT from an individual seller. In truth, I was just looking for a second car I could park at the airport while I was away at work. Now that I've had the car for a couple of months, I'm really interested in turning it into a "project car," fixing it up and incorporating a few simple mods - still keeping everything mostly stock, just bringing it current. Right now, my first, biggest battle will be to track down and fix a couple of fairly significant oil leaks before my wife-to-be decides to throw us both to the curb! Got a faulty thermostat too, but I've got the replacement ready to install.

If you know of any really important "factoids" about this car and its engine (3S-FE), post some tidbits for me! I'll post pictures later and show you what I've got to work with.

sheep
03-04-2008, 05:36 AM
i have the same problems with the oil leak thing, let me know what you find i have a different motor but maybe it will give me something to go off of and what i can expect when the mechanic tells me how much monies i owe him.

as far as mods if your looking for just a little bit of your own style you can do what im doing, new clear headlights/sidemarkers/blinkers, intake, full exhaust, window tint, stereo(dont know if you really want to do that one since your car is sitting in one place for long periods of time), i think thats pretty much it as far as my car goes, hope you are enjoying the celica as much as we enjoy ours :) welcome to the site

CriScO
03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Welcome.

celica91gts
03-04-2008, 07:33 AM
welcome to the forum. the thermostat is no biggie. oil leaks though.... im sure a lot of members on here will be able to help you with that. as for my advice. if you dont know where its leaking from. take it to a carwash as soon as you can and degrease everything. then check up on it every few weeks and you should be able to source the problem. and as for the wife to be. you should throw her to the curb! j/k

celicaGT90_05
03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
ahh I remember when I got my celica, had a pretty good oil leak as well. Since my celica is the gen right after yours, I dont know if it'll help any, but my leak ended up being the o-ring for the oil pump. One thing to check is if the leak is coming from under the timing belt covers. Welcome to the site and good luck fixing it!

toyotatuner
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
i would say whenever you go to the junk yard to snag an ignitor whenever possible and stock pile those things. You'll know when they go bad b/c ur tach will fly around and ur engines rpms will be all over the place. Gone through about 5 so far all used.