PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Hybrid cars

Toy_Celi
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
The chicka wanted a hybrid instead of the truck, and i was like FAWK NO! and then she wanted to know what you guys think about hybrids (good, bad, ugly, goodlooking)

ciento44
03-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Your lady told you she wanted to know what an online forum wanted to know?

I like cheese.

Newbster
03-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Another useless thread by toy_celi....

Troll anyone?

Hookecho
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I like Bruce's butt cheese.

so much for keeping a secret. :)

Hookecho
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
and hybrids are for tree hugging hippies.

ciento44
03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
so much for keeping a secret. :)

Depends on what kind of cracker i have handy.

Hookecho
03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
crackers are good.

Hookecho
03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
not saltines tho.

ciento44
03-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I like triscuits, personally.

Hookecho
03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
don't eat to many triscuits myself. how do you feel about melba toast?

ciento44
03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
They're pretty good.

Tried Wheat Thins with butt cheese? Not too shabby.

extremeskillz
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Hybrids are for pussies. have you even seen who actually drives them. Hippies! and liberals. They havent' convince me to ever by one, actually they've convince me to find a geo metro thats does better mileage.

ciento44
Coincidentally...

Bruce, do you tend to generate more of a cheese "curd?" Or the Cheeze-whiz style?

celicaGT90_05
and hybrids are for tree hugging hippies.

whats funny is they do more harm than good

Colossus20v
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
i like hybrids.

Colossus20v
03-03-2008, 09:36 PM
THe prius has gotten the best awards in consumer ratings. NOt a big fan of the styling but got good points in crash tests and other aspects of being a car.

Colossus20v
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
oh yeah +1.

Hookecho
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Coincidentally...

Bruce, do you tend to generate more of a cheese "curd?" Or the Cheeze-whiz style?

it's more of a cheese sauce most of the time. if i don't sweat then it is more of a solid wheel type cheeze.

Cavanagh
03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Triscuts are the shit!

I hate wheat thins! :puke:

hemlocke
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't have a problem with the Prius, but the Camry Hybrid gets awful mileage, comparatively, for a lot more money than a Camry. You wouldn't see any significant cost savings for the average life of your payments.

85gtsblackman
03-03-2008, 10:26 PM
well if it were me id just buy a late 80s/early 90s toyota under 2 liters, my friend rebuilt his 4afe and was getting 40mpg, with a bad o2

hemlocke
03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
OR, if you even want a newer vehicle, just go buy an Echo.

ciento44
03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
it's more of a cheese sauce most of the time. if i don't sweat then it is more of a solid wheel type cheeze.

I'll have to pick me up some at teh Dragun.

I'm out for the night peepz.

Colossus20v
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh Yeah. I forgot to mention the Lexus Rx400h is a nice vehicle as well. I wouldnt mind driving one around.

hemlocke
03-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Oh Yeah. I forgot to mention the Lexus Rx400h is a nice vehicle as well. I wouldnt mind driving one around.

I LOVE the LS600h. SA-WEET.

tuner4life
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Hybrids are for pussies. have you even seen who actually drives them. Hippies! and liberals. They havent' convince me to ever by one, actually they've convince me to find a geo metro thats does better mileage.

Actually, my dad had a prius, and he is the most Conservative, non tree hugging, anti-environmentalist you will find. Neither hippie or liberal. He bought the vehicle strictly for the purpose of getting mileage. He could give a shit about the environvent, but getting 50mpg is looking much more appealing every day. It also handles pretty good, and has decient power.

And if you get a metro, You will die in a crash. :thumbsdow the prius is very safe.

geebes
03-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Triscuts are the shit!

I hate wheat thins! :puke:

I enjoy both...unless they are a flavored wheat thin, like the basil and tomato...those make me want to punch baby kittens.

I used to care a great deal for Chicken in a Biscuit, but they must have changed their recipe...now they taste like Butt in a Biscuit.

...as for hybrids, go test drive a new Prius...at first I didn't like them, but when I drove it, it found a special place in my heart...now I want one...and 50+mpg is decent as well. :)

Blackcloud
03-04-2008, 02:05 AM
i bet she is gonna want a jeep next week

then a hummer after that.

maybe you two can settle on a good used dump truck

Cavanagh
03-04-2008, 02:16 AM
I enjoy both...unless they are a flavored wheat thin, like the basil and tomato...those make me want to punch baby kittens.

I used to care a great deal for Chicken in a Biscuit, but they must have changed their recipe...now they taste like Butt in a Biscuit.
Haha i got stuck on top of a montain camping once with like 3 inches of snow, and all we had to eat and drink were wine and tricuts. Since we couldnt get a fire going we survived on those, until i took one bite of a the cracker, and thought WTF!? Then i looked at the box and they were the Deli Rye Style :owned:

Oh and on Hybrids, I would get an echo(pretty cheap too) or a prius, 1st or 2nd gen. Good gas mileage FTW!

extremeskillz
03-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Actually, my dad had a prius, and he is the most Conservative, non tree hugging, anti-environmentalist you will find. Neither hippie or liberal. He bought the vehicle strictly for the purpose of getting mileage. He could give a shit about the environvent, but getting 50mpg is looking much more appealing every day. It also handles pretty good, and has decient power.

And if you get a metro, You will die in a crash. :thumbsdow the prius is very safe.

Actually i won't be caught dead in a geo either. To tell you the truth i wouldn't get a prius. because it is the ugliest of all hybrids. i hope toyota comes up with something else as it not a car i would first say yes lets get it. you know what i mean.

extremeskillz
03-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Another point i want to see pure electric cars not hybrids. I hope sooner then later.

celica91gts
03-04-2008, 02:49 AM
as for looks i think every hybrid out there looks better then the rims you wanted. also a side note. Jessica Alba drives a prius... shes hotttt........

Blackcloud
03-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Haha i got stuck on top of a montain camping once with like 3 inches of snow,

how do you get stuck in 3inches of snow?

celica91gts
03-04-2008, 03:13 AM
^ i thought about that too.... maybe he meant 30 inches?

geebes
03-04-2008, 03:34 AM
^we can only hope...that would be sad cavvy

Mr Celica
03-04-2008, 04:05 AM
my 4 banger gets 18-20 mpg :(

prius: hate the looks, but the design is good, very nice interior at least, and i know a lot of people at the 'yota dealership like em.

but, they are some bank. you could get two echos for that price. BAM! thats like... 80mpg right there fool! chickachickayeaaaa

how about an older civic hybrid? there are more out there than just priuses. or is it pri-i? kinda like cacti... but anyways.

and i like crackers, not so much buttcheese, i guess its an acquired taste. i enjoy that soft cheese in the container with the red top. mmm yummy yummy. im gonna go eat cereal now. ok bye.

Cavanagh
03-04-2008, 04:06 AM
I was camping on top of my fathers land in the Sierra Foothills out in Mr. Wot's territory...

Not in the Celica! I never had Celispeed stuck before. Its the rallying background Bishes!

ST185
03-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Personally I think I'd pass on buying a Hybrid. Seriously what kind of a grown ass man rolls around in a hybrid

revv_head
03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Personally I think I'd pass on buying a Hybrid. Seriously what kind of a grown ass man rolls around in a hybrid

lol

Toy_Celi
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Actually i won't be caught dead in a geo either. To tell you the truth i wouldn't get a prius. because it is the ugliest of all hybrids. i hope toyota comes up with something else as it not a car i would first say yes lets get it. you know what i mean.

thats how i feel about them too.... but she thought you guys would like them and recommend one

hobbie2k
03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Some of us like them, some of us don't. I think it's a great concept that's still in it's infancy. Given some time and development, hybrids will be completely transparent, and as better batteries are developed, hybrids will carry a much higher advantage over traditional cars.

As for the claims that they are worse for the environment, every article I've read that has come to that conclusion is made assuming that hybrid cars will have far shorter life cycles than traditional cars, but time has proven that they do hold up far better than initially expected. Also, it's a case of trading one type of pollution issue for another. I haven't read the article posted in this thread yet, though.

It really depends on how you drive. New York's hybrid taxi program seems to be a success. After 100,000 miles the hybrids are holding up fine (most still with their original batteries) and the drivers have saved thousands, even after you count higher purchase price. On the other hand, they drive in a manner that maximized the hybrid advanted, in constant start and stop traffic. If most of your driving is done on the freeway, you won't see the same advantage.

Of course, no amount of hybrid technology can overcome physics. Weight is the ultimate enemy of efficiency and until we learn to make our cars lighter we won't see a major increase in efficiency.

Ghosty
03-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Weight is the ultimate enemy of efficiency and until we learn to make our cars lighter we won't see a major increase in efficiency.

Very true, though I would argue that the biggest issue with reducing the weight of the car is reducing the size of the car, which most Americans are too scared to commit too.

All too often I hear people point out small vehicles as deathtraps, simply because there are too many SUVs out there being driven by reckless, homicidal soccer moms. I've also ran into many a lifted truck driver that would sooner run you over than give you an inch of space. As consumers in an energy-conscious climate, we need to start seeing large vehicles (even sedans - think Chrstler 300s and the newest Camry) as opulent and unnecessary. Think Kei cars.

Get a hybrid? Perhaps. But only if you can hack it to recharge the battery at night. Plug-in hybrid is the way to go. Otherwise, look into getting a nice little Yaris (I hear the Echo is not as great in the handling department as the Yaris).

hobbie2k
03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Very true, though I would argue that the biggest issue with reducing the weight of the car is reducing the size of the car, which most Americans are too scared to commit too.

I would argue that, too. And for that reason, hybrids become a next-best option, at least in the interim. I would also agree that plug-in hybrids are better still (especially from a standpoint of personal economics, considering that electric providers have pricing limits that don't apply to fuel providers).

cs363
03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Hybrids are a crap....(IMHO lol), I believe they are just a marketing fad made to appeal to tree huggers and more importantly people that 'want to be seen' saving the world such as Hollywood stars etc.
By all accounts they cost more to manufacture and are very expensive to recycle. New technology electric cars or hydrogen power seems to be a more viable answer, though I'm not convinced on that yet either...
The reality is you can buy gasoline powered cars like the Suzuki Swift and others that kick the Prius's ass on gas mileage and still manage to look funky and have a fun to drive element. If you really want economy try a euro diesel.... diesel's may well be the answer to the immediate future if they can sort out renewable sources for biofuel that don't create more problems (like clearing native forests, or taking land that is used for food production etc).