PDA

View Full Version : Engine build - Chicoraceworks

Trance4c
02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Now.. I know first off.. that a number of us know Joshua over at Chico, and I will be the best and first to say, I would be patient with anything I have for him. He has taken care of me for parts and work in the past in CA all the way across the US for me in FL. He is a well known guy, what he knows is spot on and much more than myself, but overall.. Joshua is a good guy. He has helped many fellow MR2 and even Celica owners, he has always supplied great parts, quality and the shop, Chicoraceworks, has been around for a little bit now which just goes to add to his staying ability, he is playing for keeps in this business. So, on a personal level, and a business level, before I begin with this post, know that I have the utmost respect and love Chicoraceworks.

Now.. rewind just since December.. as many of you have asked, why is my engine bay empty in the the pictures over the last 6 months? I've been side stepping all of the questions, but the honesty is that I had a issue of overheating after first putting on my CT27 from ATS. I ran it only maybe 20 times haha. Fun turbo.. can't wait to play with it more. What happened, and is my fault, I got the car running and did not adjust my MBC after putting the 27 on going from my CT26 60-1. First, duh, the 60-1 has more lag, but was more violent.. felt faster honestly. The 27 is very smooth power application, and spools much sooner, neither feel any stronger than the other though once they come on line. So.. what about the overheating?

20 psi spike....

ouch, I saw it, I drove into work the 1st morning having it up.. beautiful august morning in FL. I mashed it just once to see what the 27 had in it, wowa.. hauled balls!! Then I looked, 20psi.. oh no.. backed off. I have over boosted a couple of times, so immediately I was not overly worried, for any heat that a CT26/27/20b puts out, that is the destroyer. Ultimately, I have enough fuel on the stock 3S-GTE 440cc injectors & bored rail, not to be out flowed by one of those turbos. Just, not enough octane, but timing never retarded on this pull.. I know this car well enough to know when it pulls timing. I then went to leave work and about 20 minutes into it the car overheated.

Fast forward another month, I realize something is wrong, sporadic overheating is not normal operation. So, I decided.. whatever, I messed with it, flushed coolant, everything but a new radiator.. I just honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing was due to the radiator.

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/coolant1.jpg

Yes, thats coolant.

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/coolant2.jpg

etc.. etc

So, I proceeded to do the headgasket with it all in the car. Really, not a bad job, I would prefer to work on an engine on the stand and probably will the next time around. Not a big deal, I've done enough headgaskets, I figure I would try since I know I have air bubbles in the coolant. Plus, you could match the action of coolant temps to load on the engine. It was a no brainer, I blew my headgasket. Sucks.. but I can fix it.

I put the car together, things are running fine for about 12 days haha. Then it starts doing the same overheating again.

I finally decided screw this, I built this last engine near 4-5 years ago.. thats good enough for me. I call up Joshua and ask him, interested in some engine work? He is my obvious first choice.

Bring things to present, I removed the engine and sent it out in December. Nothing major, I asked him to blue print the block, tank it, check the bores, hone if necessary, check the rings, gaps and replace. Deck or Lap the top of the block (obviously I was not able to get it smooth enough during my headgasket, the seal eventually broke 12 days later), resurface the head. Refresh the head, new seals, no crazy valve work though, check bearings, replace, etc.. all the machine work in the bottom end, just check it. Since the engine as a whole was running right, I figure.. even a good bottom end, why not check it all and do any work necessary. So what we have done here, is basically send in our core long block to Chico and they are just doing a minor refresh. I want nothing more, need nothing more from my engine.. I just don't want it to overheat.

Everything going on is new.. the CT27 has been used maybe 20 times.. 1 good pull.. virtually brand new, brand new radiator, added Spal fan, new full Toyota water pump, new thermostat, etc.. everything else you would need you know. Everything is going to be quality for a stock engine, I want reliability!!

So now its coming end of February.. I want my engine!!! aaahhhhhhhhrrrrrgggg

How long do you think it should take?

haha

Thank you again Josh!!! :)

505celicaGT
02-29-2008, 06:06 AM
hope everythig goes good mang. thanks for the tip on how bad a boost spike can be =D
GL
-Tim

3sgte@daspeedof
02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
any idea on what that would or should cost, minus the shipping???

94st3sgte
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
wow

Trance4c
03-01-2008, 03:40 AM
any idea on what that would or should cost, minus the shipping???

Anywhere between 1000-1500 I would imagine, all depending on exactly what refreshing you have done. This is obviously still stock parts, no forged internal stuff. Then the amounts will start going up quickly.

smog7
03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
so no fcd?

Trance4c
03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Used one in the past, still sits in my box.. but not for the last 4 years. Its just to easy to pull the hose of the MAP sensor to remove fuel cut. Plus, most of the time you won't see 22+ psi from CT2X variants. With a TTE metal headgasket and ARP head studs in the engine, those levels of boost shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately for me, this particular time, that wasn't the case.

(an PS.. sorry, I hit the edit key at first by accident.. arrghh)

andy
03-03-2008, 12:26 AM
well if they other projects ahead of yours, of course they would come first. Im sure its in line somewhere, waiting for its turn in the limelight. Just give em a call and ask dood.

Trance4c
03-03-2008, 01:33 AM
well if they other projects ahead of yours, of course they would come first. Im sure its in line somewhere, waiting for its turn in the limelight. Just give em a call and ask dood.

I have, an am aware. Just wanted to cry about it haha.

andy
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
ohh hahhahaha fine then

Trance4c
03-07-2008, 10:35 PM
:woot:

I talked to Joshua today, first time I've called him since we shipped.. should be only another 1-2 weeks on my engine. Hells yea

85gtsblackman
03-07-2008, 11:59 PM
that sucks about your old motor, i wish you many miles on your new one

Trance4c
04-01-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm hoping to have good news this friday when I call Joshua over at Chico. He said he is intended on having my engine ready to go thursday, so I told him I would call him friday. We should have a motor by then, so hoping for shipment soon!

hemlocke
04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Cool, man. I bet the anticipation is killing you. I've decided if I have that sort of thing done, I'm going to use ATS, since they are a 4 hour drive away.

Colossus20v
04-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Sweet. Keep us posted Clay.

DarkSideCelica
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
where in CA? and does he only specialize in toyota motors?

Trance4c
04-06-2008, 02:18 AM
where in CA? and does he only specialize in toyota motors?

Chico Race Works, is in Chico CA

An yes, Joshua over at Chico specializes in only Toyota's.

I spoke with Joshua friday after work, seems he is intent on calling me tuesday on the engine being done. So I'm looking forward to that, if not.. then I'm going to call him again next friday. He is really wanting to have it done, things just keep taking a little bit longer each time. As I told him though, I really don't have a problem as long as we have an engine by the end of April.

Luni
04-08-2008, 03:24 AM
You have almost 2 weeks bitch.

You better be at the dragon.

Trance4c
04-08-2008, 03:34 AM
You have almost 2 weeks bitch.

You better be at the dragon.

:lolhittin Ya.. not gunna happen. :wedge:

The Captain
04-08-2008, 04:41 AM
That sucks! People stuff always seems to blow up before the Dragon!

Sean
04-08-2008, 04:56 AM
I dont like Josh, at all. I hope your engine has better luck ( I really, REALLY do Clay!) then J&H.

MCS is the only shop I would trust at this point to build an engine for me.

Looking forward to your happy stories though :) :)

Trance4c
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
I dont like Josh, at all.

background?

Trance4c
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I returned from being out of town and gave Joshua a call, engine is ready to go. w00t! Maybe I'll have a moving car once again.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
04-22-2008, 06:27 AM
on a sidenote, trance where in FLA are you at???

Ricksta
04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
trance is in jacksonville. i hope to meet up with him one day in orlando or somethin for a meet.

you should have taken it to my guy trance. florida's 3sgte expert. had my shit done in 2 weeks and that was a complete build and bored 20 over.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/3sverizon/HPIM2788.jpg

see my crankscraper?!? :)

Trance4c
04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Sorry guys, didn't see there was replies..

Yep, I'm in JAX FL..

Rick, its alright, if only you knew the goodies I got :bigthumbu I'm sure one day I'll venture further for a show, running car and all haha. Local Scion Toyota club here that has basically dubbed me as their own (my XB is my DD) and I work and hold a show here in Jacksonville which is produced by funds from Toyota, so.. you should check it out. Sibling Rivalry, might be an excuse to go for a ride.

Mafix
04-24-2008, 03:44 AM
rush jobs never work out. and if you had crank work done that takes forever.

FYI you only want a crank scraper with the stock pan. for those of us who aren't cheap the moroso pan has a scraper in it.

Trance4c
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Just an update, I did receive the engine back from Joshua about two weeks ago. Assembly has continued, timing belt is on and all covers, oil pan, pumps, knock sensor, etc. I am awaiting my fuel injectors back from WitchHunter Performance from being cleaned and flow tested.

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/evo/engine001.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/evo/engine002.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/evo/engine003.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/trance4c/evo/engine004.jpg

As soon as I unwrapped the long block it was sealed up :)

Hopefully I'll have some good news and running in the next month or so.

Trance4c
05-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Much fun...

So I am not really cutting any corners this time around, so I dropped of my exhaust manifold, the stock 2nd gen 3S-GTE manifold to have resurfaced today.

This is not all that uncommon and fairly publicized on the MR2 board that the stock exhaust manifold warps over time. Since I am using all new studs and hardware all around this engine, no reason to go putting on a manifold that might need work.

So I went to Dover Cylinder Head this morning to drop it off with Ralph, they are the best machine shop around basically short of a bottom end rebuild in Jax FL. I've known Ralph for .. 5 or 6 years off and on. He decided just for laughs to grab a mechanics level and see how far out it was.. happy enough, it was out of wack. My manifold needs to be resurfaced, he was going to take care of it right then but I told him no rush I'll see him in a week.

I'm just glad to take the time and the small amount of money to take care of such a small trivial thing.

My point - get your manifold checked and resurfaced!