PDA

View Full Version : How to replace battery cables?

joseccz
02-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi guys...
Lately I don't like how my battery cables look so I want to replace them. My car is a celica 1989 ST, automatic. Does anyone knows how to proceed to replace those cables and where to get good aftermarket ones?

thanks
Jose

T-spoon
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi guys...
Lately I don't like how my battery cables look so I want to replace them. My car is a celica 1989 ST, automatic. Does anyone knows how to proceed to replace those cables and where to get good aftermarket ones?

thanks
Jose

Replacing is fairly simple. Unhook them from the battery first. Trace the positive down to the starter (on topside of tranny I think.. not 100% sure on the 89 ST, but that's a usual Toyota transaxle location) Will be a simple nut holding it on, just unbolt it. The ground may have a secondary smaller wire going to the side of the engine bay somewhere, the main wire will go probably down to the tranny case and be held on with a decent size bolt. Again, I don't have the layout of the 89 in my head, but just trace the wires to their ends either way. As far as good aftermarkets.. not sure on that.. you can get usable ones at any auto-parts store, but dunno how good they'll be. I've personally had a duralast terminal break in half after light-moderate use so don't know that I'd recommend them.

grayscale
02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
If you want high quality and looks, go to a car stereo shop and they'll hook you up.If you're on a budget, I think walmart still sells a Sosche battery terminal and cable set and those are fairly nice.

Frenchy
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
knuconceptz.com sells quite possibly the best wire, ever.

And it's rather cheap, as well.