PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for

thelaw604
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey there,

Since I joined I've been lurking lots as I've been completely swamped with school.

In anticipation of my tax return and an insurance claim settlement I have been looking around for a newer 5th/6th gen Celica. I have found one for an okay price (up here in Canada anyways).

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/586579604.html

I haven't gotten a chance to go look at it yet so I'd just like to ask you guys what I should look for when I do sometime this week.

Is 270k kms too much? I know it all depends on the maintenance, what should I be looking for in a high mileage car?

Thanks!

Maleek
02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
270k is alot on any car. But these engines seem to last forever and then some. Ask the owner for maintenence records etc. Even if he says he changed his oil, plugs etc last week, id change em again, just because i don't trust sellers. Atleast this way you have peice of mind.

ciento44
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
1) leaks. 5th gens are notorious for power steering leaks, and most old toyotas leak oil from SOMEWHERE.
2) Axle boots. Make sure they're not torn. It's not too expensive to replace axles, just not too much fun.
3) clutch. self-explanatory
4) suspension. make sure the struts aren't blown, swaybar endlinks are good, so on and so forth
5) rust. passenger side rear fender is a pretty common problem, and not too fun to fix. and obviously underbody.
6) does it have the interior fan speed control knob? (LOL)

ciento44
02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Durrrr.....

My bad. I was giving stuff for a 5th gen. Most still apply, except for the knob, and the rust spot.

I would find out what year this is first... and i would consider the price a little high, but if it's truly as clean as it looks in pics, i could live with it.

Nice looking car.

geebes
02-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't like the price, but it looks secksay :) A bit high for the mileage. pretty much what ciento said.

thelaw604
02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
1) leaks. 5th gens are notorious for power steering leaks, and most old toyotas leak oil from SOMEWHERE.
2) Axle boots. Make sure they're not torn. It's not too expensive to replace axles, just not too much fun.
3) clutch. self-explanatory
4) suspension. make sure the struts aren't blown, swaybar endlinks are good, so on and so forth
5) rust. passenger side rear fender is a pretty common problem, and not too fun to fix. and obviously underbody.
6) does it have the interior fan speed control knob? (LOL)

Thanks for your input. Exactly what I'm looking for.

It's a 1994 and he claims he has the receipts and it has no rust or damage on the body.

Anything else? For the 1994 in particular?

juggernaut
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
check the floors for rot. mine is a 1992, and i recently found a rothole about 6" long, 1" wide. the carpet under the drivers seat and left rear seat never dries. its constantly wet, causing more rust.

Murgatroy
02-27-2008, 03:27 AM
Check the Passenger side sway bar mount. These are prone to rust on the T chassis.

ciento44
02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Check the Passenger side sway bar mount. These are prone to rust on the T chassis.

Yeah... that center bracket? Mine is gone right now and the sway bar just snaps and rattles against the bottom of the car. Pretty awesome.

juggernaut
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
thats where mine rotted off.. had to weld in a new section of frame

thelaw604
03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Well that guy stopped responding, but I found another one that seems to be decent in Washington.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/594840638.html

What do you guys think? Anyone around Everett on here?

tuner4life
03-05-2008, 03:36 PM
That one looks better than the first one!

thelaw604
03-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey guys,

So I found another one and after talking to him, I have a few questions.

http://nanaimo.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-1991-Toyota-Celica-GTS-2DR-HB-W0QQAdIdZ39556679

He said there was a bit of rust on the bottom side of the passenger side, is that the common area? Can it be repaired?

Also, he said there is a bit of oil burning, does the 5sfe generally burn oil? Thought the big thing is oil leaking?

cs363
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
If you are on a budget and buying a high mileage car it would probably pay to spend a few dollars and have it checked out by a good mechanic. This should eliminate a lot of the guesswork and probably save you money in the long run.

Slider
03-08-2008, 11:04 PM
If you are on a budget and buying a high mileage car it would probably pay to spend a few dollars and have it checked out by a good mechanic. This should eliminate a lot of the guesswork and probably save you money in the long run.

Very true, the mechanic will probably charge you $60-100 and it's worth it. He will most likely find some things wrong and you can use those to save yourself some hassle or use it to negotiate the price. I would at least run a compression test if you're not going to have a mechanic check it out.

Lookout for rust, it's a huge PITA to deal with. Make sure to check everything, power windows, map light, sunroof, lights work, wipers, switches. My sunroof never worked, but the previous owner mentioned this. I never even though about testing the sunroof, went completely over my head.