PDA

View Full Version : PRIUS! Thoughts? I Drove one today.

geebes
02-23-2008, 12:21 AM
I drove a prius today, and I really liked it...a lot. I was really, really impressed. :bigthumbu

This might be my wife's next car, what are your guys' opinion? :wiggle:

19celica90
02-23-2008, 12:24 AM
get a yaris

celicaGT90_05
02-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I drove a prius a while back and they are kinda cool to drive, I like the drive select lever and how the key works. As for looks though, they are kinda ugly, and Im not sure if they are worth the expense, but it is cool to drive haha

extremeskillz
02-23-2008, 12:32 AM
The fact they are one of the ugliest cars on the road tells you you will never catch me in one!

Mr Celica
02-23-2008, 12:40 AM
bleh. spend a "little" extra dough and get the camry hybrid. hahaha

Amaymi
02-23-2008, 02:28 AM
My father bought an all options Prius not too long ago after our Silverado Z71 and travel trailer were totaled and could not be happier with his purchase. He gets almost 50 mpg combined from a car that has leather seats, nav, JBL sound system,carries 4 people comfortably and 5 well enough for short trips. It also has a good amount of cargo room.
Its not ultra cheap and cheap feeling like the Yaris and a lot more spacious. Its admittedly smaller than the Camry, but also gets much better gas milage than any of the Camry hybrids I've seen come through the shop get. Camry's average high 30's while Prius's average high 40'.

extremeskillz
02-23-2008, 02:54 AM
geo metros get 50+ :hehe:...

goretro77
02-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Get a Tesla. ;)

alltracman78
02-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Not a bad car, but don't keep it past the hybrid warranty.
And you're going to have to replace the brakes long before they wear out most likely.

KoreanJoey
02-23-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm going to have to say I really, really like the Camry hybrid... it's a nice car to drive, it's got enough power and it's just very civil all around.

Don't mind the Prius but I'd definitely try to stick out for the Camry.

celicaGT90_05
02-23-2008, 04:18 AM
I drove a highlander hybrid once as well, a 40k+ car, but had more of a regular car feel and man was it peppy. Only thing is the mpg doesnt really impress me, its good for an suv at 30 some MPG, but I dont really find it worth the price

VikingJZ
02-23-2008, 04:21 AM
They're nice. I like the build quality on them.

I'll probably get a black one when I graduate.

Or an ISF

Or a Veyron model

3DZ
02-23-2008, 05:21 AM
they are the best cars for what they are intented to do.

not a drivers car though.

sheep
02-23-2008, 06:41 AM
bullet bike gets 50+ lol, i could never drive one becuz they are pretty funky lookin but if you really dont care about what the outside looks like the inside is really nice and cant complain about the great MPG, i just want to know how long they last...lots of people say they are helping the enviroment but if it wears out only after a couple years and you have to buy a new one you are doing more damage then if you had an old car that will keep on running for years to come.

tuner4life
02-23-2008, 06:29 PM
My dad had a 2007 Touring model Prius, the Touring has 16" 7 spoke gunmetal wheels, a slightly larger rear fin, and a stiffer suspension. His also has all the options including leather, nav, smart key, JBL, XM, Xenon, etc...pretty much everything on the option sheet.

Let me tell you, it handles really well, and it is pretty sporty for being a hybrid too. it's not gonna win alot of races, but it drives really easy, and has plenty of power. I wish I could afford one.

I as well didnt like the look when he first got it, but the more I see/drive it the more it grows on ya. Now I really like the way it looks. Especially w/ the rims and spoiler.

Cavanagh
02-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Why does it have to be so ugly? I guess they're ok but i could never sport one.

celicaGT90_05
02-23-2008, 08:45 PM
tuner I wunna see pics of that thing

celica91gts
02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
jessica alba drives one =D and i think they are better looking then pt cruizers

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-23-2008, 10:34 PM
eh, im gonna have to say im not a big fan of them..drive them alot at my job and i dont like the way they are always "shutting down to save gas at stops"...gets really annoying when you have to wait for it to kick back in and what not, maybe its just me...also, you do know buying a prius in the long run is going to cost about the same if not more than buying a regular non hybrid car...by the time you get your moneys worth in that car, you gotta buy a new battery...and those things cost in the thousands just for the battery...so in the scheme of things, its probably better to go non hybrid but get a good one that gets good gas mileage still, like the camrys and corollas, and like someone said before even get a yaris....a nice honda would do the job too...thats just my two abrahams...

Corey Darling
02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
You guys watch the top gear episode where Jeremy drove a twin turbo diesel over 800 miles on one tank?

I've never driven a prius, but i think i would opt for a european diesel over it. And it might even get better mileage.

corey

Frenchy
02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
I know that when my sister was looking at a Jetta TDI, I was looking at VW forums, and saw a buncha people getting 900 - 1000 miles to a tank, at like, 60 mph of highway driving average.. one guy had gotten 1200 miles on a tank of gas...

tuner4life
02-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Ill try to get some pics of it sunday if it's decent outside.

celicaGT90_05
02-24-2008, 06:32 AM
on a technical note, research has been done and whos that the energy coeficiency of making and driving the full life of a prius (or any hybrid) is MUCH higher than driving a hummer H2 its full life, simply due to what it takes to make the battery for those cars. If you are just looking for a nice new car with good gas mileage, then maybe its for you. If you are looking to help the environment though, a metro would be much better

Ghosty
02-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Look into diesels. As said before, gas mileage is impeccable.

The reason they are so efficient is because those engines rely on a super-high compression ratio (relative to gasoline engine). The mixture pretty much self-ignites because of the temp and pressure, creating a much more leaner burn. Hence, better power and fuel economy. Displacement for displacement, a diesel engine is more powerful, especially in the low RPM ranges. That's where it excels.

Most cars sold in Europe, in fact, are diesel. BMW has been leading the way in the diesel engines, and has practicality perfected the art of making aluminum turbodiesels. Previously these diesel engines, because of the ultra-high compression ratios, were forced to use iron blocks. Now with aluminum blocks, the economy is improved.

But yeah, about the Prius, I'd look into something that doesn't rely on a massive disposable battery to power it. Perhaps if you were able to hack it and make it a plug-in-hybrid, it'd be worth it (100 mpg), but otherwise I wouldn't bother. It's an electric timebomb.

celicaGT90_05
02-24-2008, 08:14 AM
The reason they are so efficient is because those engines rely on a super-high compression ratio (relative to gasoline engine). The mixture pretty much self-ignites because of the temp and pressure, creating a much more leaner burn. Hence, better power and fuel economy. Displacement for displacement, a diesel engine is more powerful, especially in the low RPM ranges. That's where it excels.

Correction, they arent really compressing a mixture, all they compress is a quantity of air. The reason they are super efficient is because the air being compressed an extreme amount, it creates a LOT of heat, then when the piston hits TDC (opposed to 3-4 degrees prior as in a gasoline engine) it injects a tiny amount of fuel that ignites from the heat, and only enough to ignite. Since it only does enough thats needed, it saves a lot of fuel.

DarkSideCelica
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
get a yaris.... half the cost, and mpg ain't bad either ;) i'll be getting one in a couple yrs... gonna trade badges with my gf's family's "vitz" over in japan lol

Ghosty
02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Correction, they arent really compressing a mixture, all they compress is a quantity of air. The reason they are super efficient is because the air being compressed an extreme amount, it creates a LOT of heat, then when the piston hits TDC (opposed to 3-4 degrees prior as in a gasoline engine) it injects a tiny amount of fuel that ignites from the heat, and only enough to ignite. Since it only does enough thats needed, it saves a lot of fuel.

Yeah, that's what's up -- sorry bout that

I think though, as you alluded to, the heat is a large factor in its efficiency. The mixture is very hot and makes a more complete burn.

The yaris is a neat automobile, though the sedan seems too big for its own good. But a yaris/vitz hatch, with the 1.5L powerplant rebuilt with higher compression pistons for E85, now that would be a high-efficiency car (dollar for dollar).

... but a Prius with high-comp E85 pistons and plug in... that might be interesting as well.

celicaGT90_05
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
yeah you're probably right since its the whole chamber that causes the combustion rather than one little spot

monkracing29
02-25-2008, 02:28 AM
I drive and clean :lolhittin a prius almost everyday i work since i work at Toyota. I think they are pretty good cars on the gas mileage and comfort. THe part i dont like is the styling of the body.It would prolly be a fun little car to have for long trips cuz of the great gm it gets. id never be caught buying one but thats just me everyone has their own opinions. :bigthumbu

sheep
02-25-2008, 05:34 AM
we have some come into my shop everyone once in a while, i have never drivin one in tho, im too impatient to have someone show me how to do it. would rather just have them pull it in so we can work on it and get it out of the shop lol kinda funny to watch a guy go out there to pull it in and he cant figure out how to put it in drive or start the thing

celicaGT90_05
02-25-2008, 05:56 AM
insert key, put foot on brake, hit on button, wait for it to say ready, move selecter in to D or R (it'll return to center position) and let off the brake, away you go...I'm amazed I still remember that too

G.W
02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
The last few months that I had my Celica I was getting 35 city and 45mpg on the hwy in a 93gt coupe. I do more driving at 50+mph if they get 50mpg I don't see a savings in a short or long term investment.

93bottlefedGT-S
02-25-2008, 04:39 PM
jeff dunham? anyone heard of himm... hes a comedian...

in one of his skits hes asked by one of his dolls(hes also a vantrillaquist) wat a prius says when it drives by....

IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGAYYY

and wat it sounds like while its idling....

homohomohomohomohomohomohomohomohomo

but i believe thats only if a guy drives em... just my 2 cents

wizzards581
02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
very high tech but not my type.

ciento44
02-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I want one just to try to take out all those Honda guys that drag race Insights.

I want a fully built 2.7 Tacoma bottom end in a Pruis boosted to hell and back. Traction bars, and a parachute.

geebes
02-26-2008, 04:37 AM
The last few months that I had my Celica I was getting 35 city and 45mpg on the hwy in a 93gt coupe. I do more driving at 50+mph if they get 50mpg I don't see a savings in a short or long term investment.

Prove it.

G.W
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
I went from Austin tx to trinity Tx I started the trip with 60miles on my tank filledup in Taylor on the way back @440miles car only took 11.1 gallons to fill( i still had another gallon or so left in the tank). I stayed as close to 3k I could. I was shocked my self but in the city I could stretch 340mpt
shift low, don't speed, tire psi

geebes
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
No way, I've seen 35 in mine, if i'm lucky...I don't think its possible on a gt. But thats awesome that you got it to work.

ciento44
02-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I used to consistently get 400 a tank out of mine with mixed driving...

celicaGT90_05
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
yeah my celica I cruise usually right around 60 and only see 30-35 with it. Perhaps your motor is blessed? :shrug: