PDA

View Full Version : I need a winter beater

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 04:35 AM
Last summer my friend Ryan's dad bought a 1997 Hyundai Tiburon to drive. The car needs a new hood, headlights and bumper cover. I can get the car for $350 or so plus the parts I need to dump into it.

IT HAS NO TITLE. They bought the car from some guy, and he can't find the title. I'm sure if I call the DMV they'll say something like tough luck, or you'll have to contact the current title owner.

There's no BOS or anything...just a car they paid for.

I'd like to pick this thing up for the winter, but IDK.

its a nice car provided you fix it up a little. Interior is very clean with the exception of a cracked center console shifter trim piece (cheap fix) and a good vacuuming. I just want the car for the winter and will be taken off insurance in the summer.

I'll get pictures tomorrow.

Recommendations? Anyone go through something like this? (particularly in Indiana)

Baffles
02-20-2008, 04:45 AM
I'd say call DMV and explain the situation. They know the laws and can tell you exactly what has to be done.

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Right! I knew to do that but haven't had time. I just soon figured to ask here before calling them. I'd rather know others experiences than shoot questions to the DMV and get nothing.

Local DMV workers are absolutely retarded and I can't stand dealing with them

its like that everywhere though.

Slider
02-20-2008, 04:59 AM
That's a sweet deal. I'd grab it if you can get the title thing figured out.

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 05:09 AM
I know. I like the car too....

And your sig is hilarious

burnyd
02-20-2008, 05:19 AM
winters almost over lol.

Cavanagh
02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
winters almost over lol.
I was just about to say that!

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 05:28 AM
Yes but unless the apocalypse happens soon, there are many winters left.

its something I can work on.

Murgatroy
02-20-2008, 05:46 AM
I hate dealing with the Indiana BMV...

I have been through the title issue before. It is a pain in the ass. I bought a car, didn't know there was a title issue. I went to the DMV, turned out there was a lien on the title, and the owner was was in jail. I had to go to the carlot, prove the lien was paid off (if it isn't I assume they repo the car, or you make some arrangement) then I had to have a notary go into the jail to get the owner to sign off.

It cost me a whole day of effort and lots of legwork.

It is normally my experience that if there isn't a title, someone stole the car, either from the car lot they were buying it from, or privately.

Getting a lost title if you own the car is a simple $5 fee.

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 06:05 AM
You've dealt with our wonderful bass ackwards BMV?

Sounds like this may be more than I can take time for. I'll have to have Ryan get me the number for this guy so I can call and demand he sign off on this stuff.

sheep
02-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Getting a lost title if you own the car is a simple $5 fee.

shouldnt you be able to pay the guy the $5 to go in to the DMV and get the title back?

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 06:24 AM
He's referring to if you OWN the car and just misplaced your title. Say you move and you lose documents--title being one. You can bring your car in with the VIN and your proper ID and they'll issue a new one.

extremeskillz
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Im looking for a beater as well for just bad weather driving in general. the celica ive made it point for it not to see weather including rain, yes im that anal in keeping mint.

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
It breaks my heart letting the Lexus stay outside. Its too rare a car to do that.

burnyd
02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Here in PA when someone loses a title you can do whats called power of attorney. The last person whos name is on the title goes to the DMV and signs a power of attorney paper to sign it over... paper then goes to the state capital you get a 90 day temp regristration... if it comes back bad then thats no good lol.... if t comes back acurate then you get a title...

Other than that you should be able to apply for a lost title at your local AAA Grant it you guys have AAA?

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
AAA is in the people that come tow my car when something happens?

Murgatroy
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
AAA is in the people that come tow my car when something happens?
AAA does a LOT more than that.

Ryan
02-20-2008, 10:10 PM
looks like we got the title thing pretty well figured out........ :ohyeah:

G.W
02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Here in Texas the process is a royal PITA don't even mess with calling the guy your friend got it from butt do get any and all info you can about him. If the car is worth it then buy it but don't put any money in to it once you have the car.

1.Run the vin at the dmv
2. send a certified letter to the address you get from the dmv with a copy of bill of sale stating that you are in possession of the car and if they would like it back that they need to pay you the bill of sale.
3. wait 30 days if the letter is returned unopened keep it and don't open it
4. repeat step 2
5. repeat step 3
6. repeat step 2
7. repeat step 3
After 90 days you can apply for a bonded title witch is only good for a year or 2 after that I think you have the right to apply for a title in your name.

As always check with your local dmv

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I used to want to buy a Jeep CJ from a local yard and they didn't have the title. I asked the BMV and they said unless the original owner could be found and apply for a lost title, there was no chance I could use the car on public roads.

That being said, its a lot easier than I assumed and I probably overanalyzed the situation.

And Murg, I've always been sure they did more than those things, but never checked into it really. I knew they provided free maps and trip tics for people travelling. I have only used them for a few tows for cars I purchased and a jump a few weeks ago when I couldn't find my cables. Good to know though! I'll be reading up on what my membership entails.

sheep
02-21-2008, 05:43 AM
as far as winter beaters go i would recommend a tercel or something like that, they are simple, get great MPG and you can beat them to hell and back and they keep running, my 1980 rolled over to 300,000 miles and is still running as far as i know

VikingJZ
02-21-2008, 05:52 AM
I've been over the Tercel and can't find one anymore for dirt cheap.

I passed on one for one fifty because I had no money and now im kicking myself.

celicaGT90_05
02-21-2008, 05:59 AM
yeah you can for sure get the title situation handled, sounds like a good deal if the motor runs smooth and no tranny problems. The thing I hate about those cars is they are very slow. Still, I dont think I'd pass up the deal

VikingJZ
02-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Slow=35 MPG and my Lexus in a heated garage for the winter.

sheep
02-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Slow=35 MPG and my Lexus in a heated garage for the winter.

thats really all you need, shouldnt be driving fast in the snow anyway.

ill probably be buying a old truck here soon so that my car doesnt get beat as much

celicaGT90_05
02-21-2008, 06:48 AM
I just mean they are a sporty lookin car and all, but there isnt much pep. Plus, you arent always driving on snow in winter, its water most of the time. But, fuel economy would be pretty worth it. I wasnt intending that the car is a poor buy cuz of the power, I said it was a worthy buy

sheep
02-21-2008, 06:53 AM
i agree i say go for it, im pretty sure you would take care of it so it should last a while i know people that for some reason keep buying cars like that and dont take care of them and they wonder why they fall apart so easy

Murgatroy
02-21-2008, 08:26 PM
2WD trucks suck in the snow. No weight in the rear.

Aaron, I used to live in Indiana, that was how I know about dealing with them. Most of the folks that work for them really don't care, thus they don't bother to figure out a solution.

VikingJZ
02-22-2008, 06:00 AM
^ Where abouts in the state did you live? Every branch I have been to has unpleasant old bitties working there. And you're right, no one knows what the deal is. I went to one and they told me one answer, then the other one let me do something that the first one wouldn't.

I left saying....WTF?

Followed by...ORLY?

But yes, I do take care of my cars mechanically and as well as I can aesthetically. Unfortuately for my SC300, I hit a deer less than 12 hours after buying the car. Strangely enough, I hit a sign with my 90 GT on the EXACT day one year earlier. Very creepy. I'm planning on taking off work that day this year and hoping nothing happens....or hitch hiking. lol I am meticulous about keeping things clean and proper. The SC is my first car with a nice paint job, so I work hard at keeping it nice--the winter sucks though.

My first vehicle was a 1990 GMC Sonoma 2x4. It was the rustiest thing ever. It had the crappiest capabilities in the snow and only looked good for the one year I drove it daily. Actually, I drove it daily for the first eight months I had it and then got my fifth gen. However, without that truck I couldn't have got my first gen.

The Tiburon will be a nice change and will keep my other cars off the road. However, if my dad gets a promotion, he's buying either a 300C, Charger R/T, or Challenger SRT8...or something new. I'll then have total control over our 1998 Lumina to make look like an unmarked cop car...lol.

sheep
02-22-2008, 06:29 AM
^ Where abouts in the state did you live? Every branch I have been to has unpleasant old bitties working there. And you're right, no one knows what the deal is. I went to one and they told me one answer, then the other one let me do something that the first one wouldn't.

I left saying....WTF?

Followed by...ORLY?

But yes, I do take care of my cars mechanically and as well as I can aesthetically. Unfortuately for my SC300, I hit a deer less than 12 hours after buying the car. Strangely enough, I hit a sign with my 90 GT on the EXACT day one year earlier. Very creepy. I'm planning on taking off work that day this year and hoping nothing happens....or hitch hiking. lol I am meticulous about keeping things clean and proper. The SC is my first car with a nice paint job, so I work hard at keeping it nice--the winter sucks though.

My first vehicle was a 1990 GMC Sonoma 2x4. It was the rustiest thing ever. It had the crappiest capabilities in the snow and only looked good for the one year I drove it daily. Actually, I drove it daily for the first eight months I had it and then got my fifth gen. However, without that truck I couldn't have got my first gen.

The Tiburon will be a nice change and will keep my other cars off the road. However, if my dad gets a promotion, he's buying either a 300C, Charger R/T, or Challenger SRT8...or something new. I'll then have total control over our 1998 Lumina to make look like an unmarked cop car...lol.

ooo make him go with the challenger!!!!

VikingJZ
02-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Heh...yeah...I think that was more or less a throw around idea.

I know for a fact that he wanted a Charger R/T and wanted to put a fiberglass cowl hood on it with flat black paint and hood pins, along with a custom exhaust and a set of SRT8 rims.

Murgatroy
02-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I lived in Indianapolis for a couple of years. I attended school up there.