PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter

Baffles
02-20-2008, 03:51 AM
So, I'm thinking about buying a remote car starter sometime soon. I have no idea what's good for starters, and can't really find any in depth comparisons between them.

Does anyone have a specific remote starter they can recommend? I don't want a security system or anything fancy, just normal remote start and keyless entry would be fine for what I want.

Also, the one concern I do have is that every once in a while my starter won't kick in (maybe bad spot on the flywheel?) and I'll have to stop, wait until I hear some relay click off, and try again and it will start. This doesn't happen very often, but I wouldn't want it to happen with the remote starter and have the starter keep trying to go and drain my battery or damage something. Is there any kind of safeguard against that?

donteatbugs
02-20-2008, 03:57 AM
valet from dei is your ticket

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Whatever you choose make sure its wired properly.

It will be way easier if you're car is an automatic. If not, you have to screw with the safety switch. It isn't hard, but a PITA

MrWOT
02-20-2008, 04:31 AM
valet from dei is your ticket

I have that installed in the supra and the alltrac :D

Awsome with automatic climate control :hehe:

Baffles
02-20-2008, 04:41 AM
I have an auto, and I'll be installing it myself so I know it's wired right.

How does the automatic climate control work? It's not like it's computer controlled, sounds like it could be tricky to setup.

[edit]
Oh, it just lets the system work. You have to preset it before you get out. I thought you meant the starter did climate control itself :P

VikingJZ
02-20-2008, 04:42 AM
I was going to venture into the remote start arena with my old fifth gen, but I lost interest in that project.

My SC has a remote lock/unlock and alarm. I may install an all in one deal including a remote start.

92st184
02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
i have the viper 790 on my celica for two years with abosolutely no problems. if i remember correctly, the viper has a safeguard against cranking the starter too many times.

goretro77
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Viper is good, Valiant is ok and if all you want is a remote starter with the smarts to try only 3 times to get your car started, then it gives up. It also has a safety switch to be sure your car is not in gear. If your car does not have automatic climate control its just as easy to put the heat/AC on just before you switch the car off. I have remote start on every one of my daily drivers and have no regrets whatsoever. Its one of the first mods I'll do for a daily driver. Valiant has good customer service in case you need another remote starter key fob thing, some have antennae 'bumpouts' for extended range (like 1000ft). Viper has some models that have way more range but for me the Valiant works just fine.
I wired it up strictly for starting the car and did not hook it into the door locks or anything else. when i approach the car I just use the regular factory alarm fob to open the car.

Baffles
02-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Well the trying to start 3 times, but also will my starter get fucked up or something if the starter is doing its thing and not spinning the engine until the remote starter gives up on cranking?

donteatbugs
02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
you can preset the cranking time in seconds if you want.

StockGT92
02-21-2008, 03:18 AM
You can be sure anything DEI makes (Viper, Valet, even the system Autozone carries) is going to be 100% reliable. I personally wouldn't install anything else.

goretro77
02-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Valiant has been flawless. I have one in my '96 4Runner since the first week of ownership and its been trouble free. I also have it in 2 other cars.
Viper is awesome too, my buddy's has never caused any trouble.

Baffles
02-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Are the codealarm systems any good? I'm looking for a good, inexpensive system, but they all seem to have ugly FOBs. You have to pay $$$$ for the better looking FOBs (like the ones that come with the Viper 160XVL).