PDA

View Full Version : All-trac Suspension Question

Playfortoday
02-22-2005, 10:11 PM
I have read up on this before, but opinions seem to vary depending on who you talk to. I am well aware that the whiteline works package is where it is at for the all-trac; however, I don't want to spend whiteline money, nor would I ever use it for its purpose. I just want something that will allow me to have better then stock handling. My all-trac is starting to get soft and rolls when snapping the wheel or passing at higher than 50mph, which is really scaring the poop out of me (so I obviously cannot rocket 80mph passes on the interstate anymore, because I know the next step, as I further deteriorate, will be to snap back into my lane and have the rear end start to fish-tail). My last all-trac ran on stock struts and trd lowering springs. It was pretty decent, but I would like a little sportier feel. For instance, the car would roll/compress pretty bad if taking a right or left turn at better than 10-15mph. Money is the biggest object here, and I would prefer this to require little to no additional fabrications($=labor). I have done springs and struts before, but do not have access to a torch or welder for some of these mods I have been reading about. What do you guys think?

ray_sir_6
02-23-2005, 05:05 AM
I say Ground Control Coilovers, and some GAB struts all around (don't require cutting the struts in the rear, unike the Koni, although they have only 8 "clicks" vs infinite for the Koni)

Playfortoday
02-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks. I will try pricing those. Anyone else?

MoralWarfare
02-23-2005, 01:49 PM
I'D SUGGEST GROUND CONTROLS WITH KONI ABSORBERS. MILD FABRICATION IS FUN, AND YOU REALLY CAN'T BEAT THE KONIS FOR THE PRICE. CALL UP GC AND THEY CAN SPECIALIZE COILOVERS FOR YOUR MODEL AND DRIVING STYLE.

ACK, READ YOUR POST, YOU DON'T WANT THE ABOVE AS IT WILL COST ABOUT 1,000 DOLLARS. SORRY.

alltracman78
02-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Have you thought about bushings yet?
When I put superflex in the rear on my 92, it made a bit of a difference.
You should be able to get almost the whole cars worth for less than $200.

Unless you're springs/struts are shot....
In which case you need to replace them.....

How many miles are on it?
My 92 has 148xxx, and still is tight. Partly cause of those bushings tho..

Playfortoday
02-25-2005, 12:42 AM
How many miles are on it?
My 92 has 148xxx, and still is tight. Partly cause of those bushings tho..

1992 with 108,000 miles.

alltracman78
02-25-2005, 02:10 AM
And your suspension is going to crap?
Or did I misread?

Playfortoday
02-25-2005, 03:58 AM
And your suspension is going to crap?
Or did I misread?

My all-trac is starting to get soft and rolls when snapping the wheel or passing at higher than 50mph, which is really scaring the poop out of me (so I obviously cannot rocket 80mph passes on the interstate anymore, because I know the next step, as I further deteriorate, will be to snap back into my lane and have the rear end start to fish-tail).

alltracman78
02-26-2005, 06:04 PM
I wasn't sure... You didn't specifically say it was bad.
Didn't know if you just wanted to upgrade or what.....[shrug]

Is it all 4 corners?
Springs?
Struts?
You don't know?

Whitline is going to be one of the cheapest ways to go, outside of maybe factory...
If you just want front inserts, you could go with KYB..
That and rear bushings...

It's hard to upgrade the suspension for cheap/no mods/no whiteline...

MoralWarfare
02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
hey Jeremy, in terms of anti-roll bars, does the AWD setup of the alltrac work best with a larger front or rear bar?

alltracman78
02-28-2005, 01:41 AM
I believe it's better with a larger front, due to the AT having a tendancy to understeer.
Tighten up the front, and the rear slips out. :D

Fraggle
02-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Money is the biggest object here, and I would prefer this to require little to no additional fabrications($=labor). I have done springs and struts before, but do not have access to a torch or welder for some of these mods I have been reading about. What do you guys think?

I got to agree that Koni shocks provide good bang for buck. Getting whiteline sway bars instead of a whole whiteline pack might be a cheaper way out. Plus the Koni's are adjustable and you can tighten up the rear suspension and ease off the front slightly - this eliminates a lot of understeer in my car - although I do have whiteline sway bars and king springs - so hard to tell what it would be like with just the Koni's in.

The water cooled turbo editions came with different springs I think. I guess it wouldn't be a vast imporvement but since most people change them out they must go cheap.