PDA

View Full Version : 7 Die After Street-Race Crash, Police Say

celicatrd93
02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
this just came out about a hour ago about 7 people died in street racing. here is the link for more info and pics on the link

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/7-die-after-street-race-crash-police-say/20080216110009990001

Witnesses said they had just watched two cars in the illegal street race speed past when a car without any lights on came up behind them and veered into a crowd of about 50.

"There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, whose father was among the dead.

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61.

"He wasn't breathing, he wasn't moving," she said. "His body was in pieces."

A white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 around 3:40 a.m., Prince George's County Police Cpl. Clinton Copeland said, but it wasn't clear whether that was one of the cars involved in the race. A tractor-trailer that came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the road as it tried to avoid the crash, he said.

"It's probably one of the worst scenes I've seen," Copeland said. "This is a situation that could have been avoided, and it's a very tragic situation."

Four people were taken to hospitals, Copeland said. Their conditions weren't immediately known.

Hours after the accident on the divided highway in Accokeek, bodies covered in white sheets were scattered along what police were calling a 200-yard crime scene. Some were in the road, while others were on the shoulder.

The sedan came to a rest on an embankment about 150 feet from where the crowd had been. It had a crumpled front and hood, and the roof had partially collapsed.

The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, but a passenger was among the dead, Police Capt. Donald Frick said.

Investigators had "more questions than answers," Copeland said.

Route 210 has two lanes in each direction and traffic lights about every 150 to 200 yards in Accokeek, about 20 miles south of Washington. In that area, the road is flanked by some businesses but has little traffic in the early hours, Copeland said.

MrWOT
02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Am I missing something, or did this have almost nothing to do with the race? Just coincidence that a group of people were standing where it veered off the road?

T-spoon
02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
It would really figure if the street racing was all without incident and a drunk driver plowed into them. Of course, we don't know enough to suggest that is what happened, but it would really figure wouldn't it? The sedan looks like a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic.

celicaGT90_05
02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
so now people are street racing without headlights?! Those bastards! But it doesnt sound like a street race, cuz wheres the other car? And the group of people that were apparently involved just isnt fitting....it sounds like they are just pinning it street racing cuz the guy was going fast. And of course the incident could have been avoided, every incident could be

TheNefariousOne
02-16-2008, 06:32 PM
No, the guy behind the two cars racing has no lights. Really strange situation...

Azzazzyn
02-16-2008, 08:52 PM
from what i understand, it was an F&F style viewign with people down the stretch of road and the sedan hit the viewers

juggernaut
02-17-2008, 12:05 AM
yes that was a grand marquis. this really had nothign to do with street racing. "A car plowed into a group of street-racing fans obscured by a cloud of tire smoke on a highway Saturday, killing eight people and scattering bodies in the early morning darkness." there were 2 cars allegedly racing, and this guy in a grand marquis comes up on em with no lights on, haulin ass? did anybody notice how the report had nothing to say about the driver of the marquis? he was either a drunk, or a cop. besides, its common sinse to slow down when you cant see the damn road. speaking of which... street racing. that involves accelerating as quick as possible. if both drivers were stuipd and didnt know how to launch a car then they wouldve burned tire off the line. the average car can only spin tire for a couple seconds while accelerating. not nearly enough time to create so much smoke that you couldnt see through it. if it was a drunk, they wouldve been all drunk driver this and drunk driver that, but since thats not the case... i'd bet money it was a cop in that marquis, and to avoid the real truth, they blame street racing

MrWOT
02-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, they will have to release his name eventually, easy enough to find out.

Tezmaster
02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
WOW! In calgary every friday and saturday night 61st and barlow RACES!!!! AKA BULLSHITS

tuner4life
02-18-2008, 01:08 AM
WTF!! Once again, street racing is wrongly blamed for people dying. At least when people are racing, they are paying attention, and have their lights on. Any dumbass that is driving on a highway at night without lights on (drunk or not) should be the one made out to be wrong on the news, not the racers or the crowd. They didnt harm anyone, did they??

Mafix
02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
i have a lot of friends that know people in this or were there. tragic and there will be no prosecution to the drunk bastard that plowed into everyone. all because they were street racing. oh well risks you take i suppose?

VikingJZ
02-19-2008, 04:58 AM
I don't like street racing as portrayed in the inner cities, and surely have no problem with police taking cars.

But where I live, I know people that have gone out into the country on nice roads with NO traffic and race once or twice. Most car oriented people I know, including myself, have done it before.

I certainly don't condone street racing, as I have done it a few times and have toyed with other cars, but save that shit for the track or something.

You've got to be a complete idiot to organize a street racing scene with hundreds of people. I'd never get into that.

Mafix
02-22-2008, 12:49 AM
it wasn't hundreds of people. but i do agree that organized racing isn't usually a good thing.