PDA

View Full Version : Best place for HID lights

VikingJZ
02-14-2008, 04:34 AM
So since I'm tired of my SC having really crappy light output, I have decided to order brand new 99/2000 headlight assemblies, as the projectors are WAY better than previous years and will have working beam adjustment screws and levels.

I also want a nice set of HIDs. I'd like really bright lights but with that blue purple tint.

Anyone have good luck with other cars they may have owned? What's the best place anyone's discovered?

I know most 5g owners don't use this stuff.

Frenchy
02-14-2008, 04:37 AM
my buddy is sending me the HID set he has for his car, it's an 8000k set, but I dont know where he got it, and it's been lasting for a while now....

lburner
02-14-2008, 05:28 AM
look on http://www.xtralights.com/ thats where i got my Xetronic 4300K crystal whites. nice price too

VikingJZ
02-14-2008, 05:41 AM
I'll look into that. I want higher kelvin though...i like colors. the lights will be bright enough. ANYTHING is an improvement over what i have now.

VikingJZ
02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Those guys are expensive.

METDeath
02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
The brighter you go, the less helpful it is... I have 6000k and when it rains, I can't see anything but the rain drops and reflectors, and maybe the stripes if it's a gentle rain. I'm going to upgrade to a full low/high beam kit and a closer to yellow HID kit... since I will get more usable light that way. There are some other posts about Xenon/HID that have more specific science behind it.

extremeskillz
02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
You want to stay withing 5000k-6000K as they are the brightest and best. I have 8000k which isn't bad just a little more blue. If i were to do it again it would be 6000K headlights and eventually 3000K fogs (soon :-))

www.ultrabrightlights.com is a good source.

VikingJZ
02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah but i want that blue purple look. I may go 8kK with a purple LED in my city light to add the effect.

But yes, the Kelvin range between 4300 and 6000 produces the best light.

McCullogh is still too expensive. i want around $250 ish or less. XenonDepot is a reputable source but idk....I just want that dark blue color

Some of you are also forgetting that quality projectors dispense the light longer and at a better rate. Cut off lines for projectors are way better than traditional sealed beams.

extremeskillz
02-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Ive seen cars with the dark blue and i haven't figured out how the hell they see at night. probably the worse one ive see on the road. Regarding the LEd giving the purple effect, forget it it will get lost in the HID light because its that bright.

Wicked Toys
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Heard good reviews from these two brands.

http://www.kaixenkits.com/

http://www.pilothid.com/

And bought from here before, quick fast delivery.

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/index.php?main_page=index

Slider
02-14-2008, 07:35 PM
You're still putting a HID bulb in a projector designed for specifically for a halogen bulb which has a different focal point. So while the halogen projector will give you a cut-off so you don't blind other drivers the beam pattern on the ground won't be that great. It's different with every halogen projector, some even have spots above the cutoff line with HID bulbs. The light output will increase though. Personally I would just do a retrofit and have much better results, you can get the whole thing done around within $400-500 and have amazing lighting. They make adapter brackets for your car so you wouldn't have to modify your original housing.

Are you interested in the purple look of the lights on the ground or are you concerned with other people seeing purple when looking at your car? If you were ever in front of an Audi with HID, notice how some of them have that purple look. They still have 4300k or 5000k bulbs but the way the projector is designed it makes it look purple or blue at the cutoff.

Conrad_Turbo
02-14-2008, 07:36 PM
The human eye reacts better to yellow/"yellower" lighting, an extreme example of this is the majority of the cars racing at the 24hr at Le Mans.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/10/26/068749.1-lg.jpg

Blue-purple is less functional but looks high tech I guess?

TheNefariousOne
02-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Am I the only one satisfied with normal high/low beams? I feel like I'm always seeing threads about upgrading...

I've driven up the mountains, in the dark with normal beams and never had a problem. Different strokes I guess...

Luni
02-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Do you want the color purple to project from your car from other drivers, or do you want the light that hits the road to be purple? Cause if youre putting an HID bulb in a halogen housing, you will get a myriad of rainbow effects on the fringe of the lighting due to the way halogen housings distribute the light.

Halogen housings are designed to amplify red and blue colors in the spectrum. HID housings are designed to amplify whites and blues, so the colors people see from your lights, might be different entirely than what is being put out.

Honestly, having tried 2 different color spectrums (4300k and 8000k) the 4300k has MUCH nicer light output. Its the CLOSEST to a pure white you can get, which means youll see much better. Its closer to the yellow spectrum that when it turns crappy, rain, snow, fog, that youll see better than cars with the higher temp HIDs.

I would implore you to change your color selection, especially if its "just for looks"

You dont spend money on lights just for looks. Get something you will benefit from. I have 8000k lights in my MR2, and while I like them, I like the output of a 4300k bulb much better. To get a purple, you have to go 10k-12k. My 8ks are kinda bluish white.

extremeskillz
02-14-2008, 09:33 PM
^yep what i got.

Wicked Toys
02-14-2008, 11:52 PM
The human eye reacts better to yellow/"yellower" lighting, an extreme example of this is the majority of the cars racing at the 24hr at Le Mans.

I agree, Cause the Yellow Fogs I use on my WRX have majorly improved my vision at night dry/wet.

But found this Vid on youtube if it helps.......

SC300 HID's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuferwdNG8)

Conrad_Turbo
02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I agree, Cause the Yellow Fogs I use on my WRX have majorly improved my vision at night dry/wet.

But found this Vid on youtube if it helps.......

SC300 HID's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuferwdNG8)

I'd run yellow headlights if I could...it's interesting learning about the human eye how it's very receptive to yellow light. However; using yellow light will "damage" your ability to switch to night vision (ie: get a bright yellow reflected or directed into eye, and then have to see in a dark low lit environment). Red (shortly after is green) is the best color for preserving night vision, while providing enough light to see.

I'll watch that vid when I get home, youtube is blocked here at work.

VikingJZ
02-16-2008, 05:28 AM
I'm probably going to go with an 8000k set up.

Yeah I want the purple look. However, I want light output too. Virtually anything will be better than my cheap ass blue lightbulbs I bought at CarQuest. The projectors of the 1999 and 2000 SC headlights are slightly larger and have a better cut off than the previous years. To achieve the purple look, I will put an ultra-voilet 194 LED in my city light spot in the housing. From a distance it will blend in quite nicely.

Plus my adjusting system is screwed up on both.

Actually yes, in that video is exactly what I'm going for. I'd like to see where he got those low beam ones from. Will most reputable sources that have an 8000k set up be similar to that?

I also wouldn't mind the look of the set up that comes in some of the newer Altima's.

I'll be buying fog lights soon. I found a twenty dollar pair at Auto Zone that will hold me off until I can afford the 2000 spec front conversion like that guy in the vid has.

VikingJZ
02-16-2008, 05:38 AM
I know this is from England but watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

See, if you DON'T have a projector, the beam pattern will look like poo.

The projector allows smoother cut-offs and won't scatter as bad.