PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Celica GTS Project car

Insan3
02-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Hello everyone, i am pretty new here and i have a 1991 celica Gts(FWD) as my first project car. i want to make it a nice car but yet have some performance. Its Stock completely except for the air intake, it has 290km on the engine, and has some body damage/rust . i am taking it soon to get rid of the rust and body damage as soon as i can find a passanger fender. So if u guys can write a list of basic upgrades i can do that would be great ! oh and the interior is strip down to the driver seat. :bigthumbu

geebes
02-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Pictures please! Limits are endless depending on how much you wanna spend.

celica91gts
02-13-2008, 03:23 AM
i'd start with putting the interior back in it.

andy
02-13-2008, 05:38 AM
fix rust
replace suspension
fix engine oil leaks, water pump, change oil, and valve cover gasket
fix rattles
paint
enjoy

Lonestag
02-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Ok,
your not going to find too many people around here who getted vary worked up about performence mods for the 5SFE (90-93 GT and GT-S) because it doesn't respond that well to bolt on mods (intake, header, ect...) but there are some simple things that I think are at least marginally worth looking into.

What I would suggest looking into for power are:
Headers (ebay sells them for the 94-99 5sfe but they bolt on to ours as well)
Exaust (pacesetter makes one, or just get a custom one)
Camshaft Regrind
Port and Polish
Engine Managment and Dyno Tuning (Emanage, SAFC, ect...)
Lightweight Flywheel (Fidenza makes one)
Timing Advance

With all these combined, your most likely looking at less then a 50hp gain. In fact, i'm guessing it will be in the 30hp-40hp range. If thats discuraging, you will either have to spend the money for an engine swap, or spend even more for a complete engine build, which I'm not even sure if more then one or two people have done yet on the 5SFE.

Personally, If I get to 160whp someday, I'll be satisfied. It's a fun little car and it wasn't designed to be a hard-core racer. Keep reading, this site is absolutly amazing in the amount of info you can pick up.

When I got my car I barely knew an alternator from a distributer, this site tought me much of what I know.

celica91gts
02-13-2008, 07:07 AM
"your not going to find too many people around here who getted vary worked up about performance mods for the 5SFE"

thats not true i don't think. i think the 5sfe is a good platform to start learning about and start working on. a member on here (MRTurrari) has done a lot of work on his 5sfe and from what i hear its pretty quick. main point being, don't be discouraged with your car. the 5sfe is a fun engine and i too recommend the mods that lonestag has recommended. we welcome new comers to this forum, if you have anymore questions just use the search button or ask questions.

hobbie2k
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
There is so much focus in the tuning world on engines, probably because bolt-ons are relatively cheap. If you want your Celica to be at it's best, as well as attain true driving skill, I would focus on repairing the car, then move to tires, suspension and brakes. You could even try to cut some weight if you wanted, but you have to be careful not to upset the balance of the car.

Your car is at it's best on an autocross course to road track, not on the 1/4 mi (that's not to say it can't be fast in a straight line, though). This is also a great opportunity to develop your skill as a driver.

Remember, in terms of all-around performance, driver skill and good tires are your best friends.

tuner4life
02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Congrats on your new car!!

If you want to go real fast, swap to a 3SGTE motor. There is tons of info on it on here. But being your first project you might want to get some experience just repairing whats wrong. Get the body fixed first. Then do preventative maintenance like the timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, front main seal, other seals/gaskets, possibly a radiator, oil change, tranny oil (5spd I'm assuming?). Since you will probably be keeping the 5sfe, the most beneficial mods are:
-intake
-Ebay header
-exhaust
-throttle body coolant bypass
-Motor mount inserts from Kirkosaurus
-maybe some head work
The 5sfe is a pretty peppy motor, and is alot of fun especially with some of the above mods.

My vote: fix the body, do the preventative maintenance, and tune up the suspension, then drive it till it blows up while saving up for a 3sgte, then swap it. Thats what I'm doing.

Welcome to the forum!! You will learn alot here. :bigthumbu

anthony560
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey these cars are alot of fun as they are. I second or third the idea that u should just fix the car up first, restore your interior, and put all new suspension, breaks, and tires on your car. After that drive it around and enjoy it for what it is. Then start by putting lighter wheels, intake, and an exhuast with or without headers. You'll feel a tiny increase but i think you'll enjoy this car more for what it is.