PDA

View Full Version : Sure Win stainless header! Rave.

StockGT92
02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
I was a skeptic... but for $60 for the header and $40 for shipping, I took the risk.

I bought the one for 94-98 Celica 5SFE, but it bolted right into my 92 (first mod, and probably the last). What a difference in part throttle torque, and it eliminated that pesky catalytic converter. I installed it with a nice new stock pipe and left my stock muffler on. Everything fit just fine. I've already seen a 4-ish mpg increase too!

Just wanted to let y'all know not to hesitate to try, it's a true bolt-in and very high quality.

Seller's ebay name is surewinproducts.

MrWOT
02-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Pics

StockGT92
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I'll take some today.

Conrad_Turbo
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
With that price it definately came from China...

StockGT92
02-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Definitely came from China, but it is pretty damn good quality, Chinese or no.

See pic! See dirty engine compartment! :smokin:

VikingJZ
02-13-2008, 03:08 AM
For a daily you can't beat it honestly. If the welds break just re-weld them and go.

I wish someone made a cheap header for my car. They have OBX ones for roughly $400 shipped, but that's too much for me.

ScottGT-S
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
heres all his items:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsurewinproductsQQfrppZ200QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ 1QQrdZ0

ScottGT-S
02-13-2008, 10:16 AM
if this guy ships USPS I'm game.

VikingJZ
02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't know if the IS300 header will fit the SC300. Same engine, yes, but IDK.

MrWOT
02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Have a pic of the collector?

tuner4life
02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah, thats the same header I have, And I love it!! performance and quality are really good.

StockGT92
02-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, I do not. I can describe it though... just a very thick 3 hole triangular shaped flange with a flat mating surface. I used the stock round gasket. It came with a flange gasket (and the one between the engine and header) but it didn't want to fit right.

edit:
If you're talking about the part where all the pipes come together, I still don't have a pic, but I can tell you that it was pretty smooth and only narrows down maybe 1/4 inch. The collector is 2.25, as is the exit hole at the flange.

anthony560
02-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Dude ill have to give those headers a shot for only $40. If they break then i can just get another set for cheap. Ha

wrongboy
02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
I am getting mine this month and having a shop that did my boss' 64 Comet headers look over the welds.

-wrongboy

celicaGT90_05
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
looks pretty good, and I'd be interested but unfortunately I dont intend to keep the 5SFE a whole lot longer...putting $100 in to that motor would just be a waste

juggernaut
02-13-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30706

Ads28
02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
nice nice looks good, im waiting for mine to arrive as we speak..it should be here tomoro acaully...soo did you need anything else ? did you replace your o2 sensor or reuse ur old one?..and how hard was it to remove everything, and did you go with a new pipe to the flex pipe or were u able to remove the header and reuse the old piece?

StockGT92
02-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Just for the record, someone mentioned pricing at $40 in an above post.. the header was $60, and shipping was $40 for a total of $100. A little steep on shipping, but it did show up pretty fast via UPS ground.

It took me all of about 30 minutes to get my old manifold off, working slowly and carefully (as is my habit) using only hand tools. I had replaced the flex pipe/resonator assembly just last year, so it was easy to separate the manifold/cat piece from the pipe.

I had a small exhaust leak that whistled annoyingly... while I was under the car, I gave my "new last year" flex pipe a quick inspection only to find large rust holes wherever there was a hanger welded to it. Into the garbage it went... Maremont junk. I bought an entire new, stock pipe from U.S. Tire for $110. (You cold say I have a hookup there, lol.) It was much better quality that the piece of drek I had removed.

I did in fact install a new universal Bosch O2 sensor, just because I had the old one off. It was still good, but my car has 76,000 on it, so I figured better now than later. I also, while I had my hands dirty, replaced the entire secondary ignition system. Once again.. none of it was really "bad", but I depend on this car every day.

I bolted the header to the engine using the included gasket, and stuck in the O2. Just for the record, the header has TWO oxygen sensor bungs.. one for the factory style two bolt O2, and one for a screw-in. (Or possibly for some EGR tube on a different car? I dunno.) I stuck with the factory style. The header came with a plug for the extra hole.

The resonator/flex pipe fit right on, bolted to the stock muffler, and lined up perfectly with the flange of the header. I re-used the old circular gasket from the old pipe with no problems.

The header came with a triangular gasket, which would have been useful had I been using a custom pipe to the rear, but in this situation it did not fit quite right and I tossed it.

Anyone concerned with breaking welds, I would not worry. I have been welding stuff together for a long time.. the welds on this header are professional and have excellent penetraton.

Anyone have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Newbster
02-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Just for anyone else looking, I have a camry header for sale for $45+shipping which would only probably be around $15 for a total of $60. The camry header is tried and true for performance, and you wouldnt have to worry about anything breaking since its OEM.

Frenchy
02-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Ok, I'm needing a little help, here, how do I move the alternator out of the way?!

Which bolts do I loosen, so I can move it, or whatever...

I'm cooooooonfused...

VikingJZ
02-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Does the car have a nice tone?

tuner4life
02-14-2008, 05:13 AM
^It probably sounds like mine, only quieter if he has a factory rest of exhaust.

StockGT92
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
It has a decent tone for a 4 cyl. She gets a little raspy at high RPM, I think this is more due to a loose baffle in my 16 year old muffler. Other than that, the car is still pretty quiet.

Eeeeevery now and again I get a little popping on decel.

wrongboy
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a straight pipe in my trunk and I am thinking about attaching that to this header when mine comes. I have never had a straight pipe, I understand it will be loud. My question is how loud will it be in the cabin?

-wrongboy

Ads28
02-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Well happy early birthday to me :) :bigthumbu Wooo 21 tomorro :) :bigthumbu ma header showed up today...gatta love those COD charges haha soo mine cost about 100$ by the time i unpacked it here are some pics with some close ups of some of the welds...they all look pree good, the insides dont look the greatest but overall im a happy man ...if anyone wants any other specific pic of it lemme know i wont be installing this for a lil bit seein how its -35C out right now
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader001.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader002.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader005.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader004.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader003.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader006.jpg

Frenchy
02-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Ok, I got the bolt off the manifold, that is hidden behind the alternator...

Now, how do I get the part where the catalytic convertor is, apart???

Damn me, for my ignorance, I'm a semi-n00b...

First 4cyl car I've had, and well, the engine bay is waaaaaay harder to work in, than my v8 Dakota...

StockGT92
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I have a straight pipe in my trunk and I am thinking about attaching that to this header when mine comes. I have never had a straight pipe, I understand it will be loud. My question is how loud will it be in the cabin?

-wrongboy

I think it will be annoyingly loud.

Hey alternator guy... I don't appreciate your lousy attitude. I did not write a step-by-step on manifold removal.
OOOkkkkaaaayy I had to paaaaartially remove the aaaallllternator which I fogoooot to mention since appaaaaaaarently I'm a dumbaaaaaassss noooooobie.

Are you satisfied now?

Ads28
02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok sooo i just finished installing mine today, and hmmmmm im undecided, defiently more power, but man o man is it loud, and bad loud i sound like a lil civic now, and after the first test drive i come back n everything looks normal, but now i have this awful metal tinging sound comeing from the headers...almost as if theres a rock? or somethin ratteling around inside the headers...also sounds like the valves ? i dunno help ????

celicaGT90_05
02-17-2008, 08:28 PM
from the headers or from under the valve cover? Im not sure if the celicas do, but i know on some motors you have to adjust the valves once in a while. Nothing hard, just use a feeler gauge and adjust them so they dont clack. But to really decide what it could be we'd need more info

Ads28
02-17-2008, 08:35 PM
more so from the headers, if i rev the engine when its decelerating u can hear the ting/rattle, ........... Haha wow well now i can laugh at myself haha wat was the rattle ya figure....me being dumb and not tightening the bolt that goes into the screw in o2 sensor spot haha..wow i feel like a dumbass....

Needless to say im happy with the performance gain, not happy with the ricer sound that came with it, Im runnin that header, to the stock down piece and flex pipe, and then straight threw with 2.25 pipe to the Monza Cat back...itll give it a couple days mabye itll get better, if not ill slap on a highflow cat or somethin to try and dull down that high pitch sound...ill post pics and sound clips sooon

Ads28
02-18-2008, 01:41 AM
well i usually take more pics but since it was kinda cold out when i did this, the camera stayed inside for pree much all of it
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader007.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader010.jpg

And one thing i didnt like is when i take off the old and looked inside...Man O Man is it nasty....im in need of a serious valve job
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/newheader009.jpg

ScottGT-S
02-18-2008, 02:41 AM
do you have to take off the oil filter for this install? or did you just do an oil job the same time? ;)

looks nice btw.

Ads28
02-18-2008, 02:54 AM
did and oil job at the same time, and yes/no theres a bolt on the side of heat shield u need to take off, soo u can go slow and wrench it, or take the filter off soo u can get a socket on it

StockGT92
02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Mine is buzzy too. Headers in general will make more noise (both under the hood, and out back) than your stock manifold, but leaving that plug loose could not have helped!

Ads28
02-18-2008, 05:58 PM
haha yeahh well see how well it stays on, if it comes loose again ill just put alil tack weld on it or something

Gidget
02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
well i just recieved my header yesterday on my birthday which im very excited to put on... im going to put it on the car now and see what it sounds like... seems to be pretty good reviews from you fellas on here. the welds look really good and seems to make good penatration with the metal. hopefully it all works out

Ads28
02-29-2008, 01:21 AM
ahh good stuff:) let us know how it goes, its pretty simple, shouldnt take you long

Amaymi
02-29-2008, 02:29 AM
A good resonator will take care of the buzz. Your catalytic converter is made into your stock exhaust manifold. So when you put the header on you removed the cat. I can't remember if your car has a second cat but if not that would deff. cause a very raspy exhaust note. I would put money that a good resonator would take mellow it out.

I have a 4th gen with a 3sfe and its exhaust manifold looks identical to your stock one, the cat attached to the manifold is the only one on the car. I replaced it with the camry tubular manifold but decided to take it off until i could either put another cat or a resonator because of the buzz

Ads28
02-29-2008, 02:51 AM
A good resonator will take care of the buzz. Your catalytic converter is made into your stock exhaust manifold. So when you put the header on you removed the cat. I can't remember if your car has a second cat but if not that would deff. cause a very raspy exhaust note. I would put money that a good resonator would take mellow it out.

yeah you defeintly need a resonator, our cars have a stock one after the manifold, look into my thread to hear the difference between haveing and not haveing a resonator
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32605

91 Celica GT-S
02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
i wanted to be cool like the rest of you so i just ordered one and im hoping that second o2 sensor everyone has plugged is for the california models cause if its not i dont know where ill put that other sensor.
my primary cat is gutted so there shouldent be a difference in sound just a smoother flow of air. but i do have a secondary cat so its not really loud and i have a pacesetter catback exhaust. it sounds really clean as it is not ricey or too loud.
maybe you guys should use a high flow cat if its too loud for you.

Gidget
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
well i got my new header installed and love it. it definetly gives you more (noticable) power. make sure you tighten the plug below the sensor with some lock tight... it tends to rattle itself loose. It was really simple to install and the only problem was the cheap gasket they sent didnt fit so well... but i made it work with a slight mod. well worth $100

91 Celica GT-S
03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
damn guys i hate how my car sounds now. even though my cat was gutted before it sounds totally different. it sounds like your typical ricer honda. i dont even want to take it past 3k rpms. now i need a resonator or something