PDA

View Full Version : New Engine ordeal...need help

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-10-2008, 03:54 AM
Ok, so ive needed an engine for idk how long and still havnt bought one...just got my tax returns and stuff and now have 1300 in tha bank...on ebay there are two engines...i would like comments and opinions on which one would be the best to buy and what not, or if anyone has any ideas...i have a ST so no turbo swaps unfortunately...heh...ok here are the links...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-95-TOYOTA-COROLLA-4AFE-ENGINE-GEO-PRISM-1-6L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ019QQitemZ 290204313519QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97-TOYOTA-COROLLA-CELICA-GEO-PRISM-4AFE-5AFE-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ017QQi temZ270210323081QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Ghosty
02-10-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm not one hundred percent sure... but 1993+ 4AFE engines may not be compatible with pre- 1993 4AFEs.

Changes include the elimination of a cold-start injector, and a different Throttle Position Sensor, a different RPM sensor and a different crankshaft position sensor. One or more of these devices may not be compatible with you 1991 4AFE ECU.

Here's the complete writeup about the engine.
http://www.toyoland.com/engines/4A-F.html

grayscale
02-10-2008, 05:35 AM
First off, neither of the sellers strike as being very reputable.
I also think finding a usdm 7afe from a 6th gen would be a safer way to go.
However, honestly, if you are not swapping out to a different engine, why do you feel the need to buy another one? Why just have yours rebuilt? Or buy one that is already rebuilt? This would be much better than buying something that is already well used.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-10-2008, 06:44 AM
well...ive already waited a good month to month and a half for money and other reasons, and i need it now...i goto school 8-1230 mon-fri, and then work everyday right after school...and i need and have rides...the past month/half have sucked, having to bum rides cuz my car doesnt work...just sux, and i need something now...just need an engine that i can just replace mine with right now...dont have the time will or money to do anything else to it...i just need it to get me from a to b....and where would i get one that is already rebuilt?? help on any reputable sites or sources where i could get one?!?!? help pleasE!!!!!!

mar_phi6
02-10-2008, 06:53 AM
sorry to interrupt but which 7afe engine and tranny would fit on a 91 st auto as im on the same boat.

TheNefariousOne
02-10-2008, 07:00 AM
I think your best bet is to go to a junkyard man. Find a reputable one and check everything out in person. It'll be cheaper and you'll have peace of mind that you got to actually see the motor and stuff.

Just my two cents.

505celicaGT
02-10-2008, 07:05 AM
sometimes you can find fresh motors in the gyard. the shouldnt cost that much.. 125 at my local gyard have to pull it your self though =/ gl with the swap.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-10-2008, 05:22 PM
ya its just that, in the "u pull it' yards, you never know what has been pulled off of the engine and stuff like that ...so im kind of reluctant about doing something like that cuz any money im going to pay i want to be worth while and not have to spend more and more money on parts cuz such and such was missing from what i got and then i have to wait even longer....but i guess this week i can go and look...i havnt been there in awhile and maybe something good will come up, guess it cant hurt....

Hookecho
02-10-2008, 05:29 PM
how about a supercharged 4agze. saw one on ebay yesterday for $900. motor, tranny, and ecm.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
bump for any reputable sites anyone has or knows of that i can get a 4afe off of...any help is welcome..thanks...

Berg
02-11-2008, 03:17 AM
how about a supercharged 4agze. saw one on ebay yesterday for $900. motor, tranny, and ecm.

I bought a 4AGZE from a japan motor import company with harness and ecu, all sensor, and transmission for less than $1100 CDN. I am biased, but I would say that this is probably the best option. Latter on down the road if you want some more power all you have to do is remove the supercharger and fit a turbo system. Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Berg

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
...this is my fault i think...idk why i said i had 1300..well i do but my budget is 500-700...so any ideas now?..i just need a new 4afe really is all im asking/looking for...

Berg
02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
For that amound of coin your best bet is probably a wreckers. Pick one up that is the same as the one thats in the car now so you will have any of the pieces that are missing from the engine from the wreckers and can swap them over.

What is wrong with the engine in the car now? Or has it already been removed and scrapped?

Cheers,
Berg

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-13-2008, 04:23 AM
well the ones i listed were within my price range but are the corolla/geo 4afe's the same as the celica 4afe? im goin to u pull it saturday so hopefully something there...uh...if not im just gonna have to resort to one posted on ebay or something cuz i need it now....gahhhhhhh...o, one of the rod bearings went...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-13-2008, 04:26 AM
so whats the problem with this one??/ it looks like my exact engine...only thing diff from looks is that the words/letters on the valve cover are black in color instead of red...

sheep
02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
you know you dont have to listen to anyone on here right? you asked for advise and they gave it to you, if you really want that motor go for it, it is your money dont let everyone tell you how to spend it

that being said i would go with a junk yard also, if you look close enough then you should be able to see everything that has been pulled off of it, no one is going to go through the trouble of putting the stuff back together if they have pulled anything from the inside of the motor.