PDA

View Full Version : No more squealing (AutoZone hate)

VikingJZ
02-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Several months ago I started having lots of chatter and squeals. Today I take off the belt and check all pulleys and none have broken ribs or have trouble spinning.

Back in the summer I bought a Gatorback and while someone was doing stuff on the car for me, they just put it on (But was apparently too short). So I took it back to AutoZone and swapped it for the Duralast one they had.

When I get the belt off today, it was shredded and looked like it was ten years old and was really bad.

Bought a Gatorback and it fit! NO MORE NOISES. I was so happy, and now no one will look at me weird when i drive by for having a noisy car.

Duralast stuff is now officially shit in my book.

85gtsblackman
02-09-2008, 06:44 AM
unless its duralast gold it sucks

VikingJZ
02-09-2008, 06:47 AM
No that belt was the imacheapbastard Duralast line.

The Gatorback is a tight belt.

sloceli
02-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Thats why you should go OEM or follow the the bgb for the tensioning specs.

tuner4life
02-09-2008, 07:12 AM
^It's a Lexus SC 300, It had a 2JZGE which has an automatic belt tensioner. Therefore tensioning specs=irrelevant.

sloceli
02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
OK then get an OEM belt, problem solved.

sloceli
02-09-2008, 07:18 AM
On a side note this is General speak. There for moving to General.

85gtsblackman
02-09-2008, 08:23 AM
also u can use napa gold, gates, or the gatorback

celicaGT90_05
02-09-2008, 09:37 AM
as said, duralast fairly well sucks. Many duralast products I run across are crap, but I like most of what advance offers. I went cheap on my belts since my 5S doesnt have to last much longer, were goodyear "mileage maker" belts and they have given me no troubles at all. While I wouldnt recommend them to those wanting the most out of their motor, they suited my situation very well, I'm pleased

VikingJZ
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah I need mine to last a long time. Timing belt will be OEM when I do it

And yes, Jason's right it is a self tensioning system.

I probably would have opted for a Toyota belt, but there wasn't a Toyota dealer open at 7:00 PM on a Friday night. Unlike some people, I don't have a winter beater and rely on the Lexus to get me everywhere.

grayscale
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I recommend the goodyear gatorback belts for the accessories. I've used them for quite some time and they are excellent belts. Not sure what the oem belts cost, but that just seems unnecessary for something so simple.

T-spoon
02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Speaking of duralast.. I was pressed for time and bought new battery cables (don't ask me how easy it is to get battery cables from Toyota for an 87 supra :P). Well anyway, only a few months later the terminal broke. The actual lead simply broke in half so it can't be tightened anymore. I know metal attenuates if you bend it back and forth enough, and lead is very soft, but wow, this one went super fast. Oh well, that's what ya get for $15 or so :hehe:

T-spoon
02-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I recommend the goodyear gatorback belts for the accessories. I've used them for quite some time and they are excellent belts. Not sure what the oem belts cost, but that just seems unnecessary for something so simple.

OEM belts aren't too terribly priced. Some of them are a little scary.. like the looong serpentine belts but in general not bad compared to a quality aftermarket. The only issue with OEM belts is when you have any mods at all you can start having fitment issues. Not a bad idea to bring in old belts to compare with what the dealer gives you, just in case. (but that is a good idea even if you get aftermarket)

85gtsblackman
02-09-2008, 08:55 PM
i use oem or napa gold which is made by gates

ecept the vert has gatorback and i have no idea whats on the truck, truck takes 1 belt and gets driven maybe 6000-9000 miles a year if hes lucky

VikingJZ
02-10-2008, 07:14 AM
I put a CarQuest/Gates upper rad hose on the SC and its fine. For the hoses I won't buy OEM...just not necessary.

Like what gray said, external stuff like that isn't worth spending astronomical amounts on.

505celicaGT
02-10-2008, 07:22 AM
OEM only way to go for timing belts imo. went to auto zone. CRAP. napa=napa..... toyota dealer= crap service good belt. IMHO!....