PDA

View Full Version : New Celica Owner

scout99
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm getting a 1993 Celica to replace my mitsubishi Eclipse, I still miss the Clipse. Any words of encouragement? I mean really, this is emotional for me (not so much) :eek:

Newbster
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
You'll probably save money by driving the celica, very little maintance required.

scout99
02-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, thats why I have it now. My dad works for Toyota Motor Manufacturing and he wasnt happy when I got the eclipse. This is one great big I told you so. I replaced the transmission twice, gas tank once(long story) the computer once and stereo twice. And just about three days ago threw a rod in the damn thing with no real signs at all until it happened.... but I'm a die hard, what can I say, i will need time to warm up to the celica....

extremeskillz
02-04-2008, 09:26 PM
^when you warm up to a celica you won't regret it thats for sure :bigthumbu

scout99
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Does it take much to make these little things awesome? What am I looking at stereo wise and performance, and maybe just the body ... what am I looking at?

Newbster
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
There are around 6 or so different types of body kits, about the same amount of hoods including rally hoods, CF hoods, etc. Stereo wise you can go as far as you want, but I dont think you will be fitting 2 15" anytime soon. For performance, the 5sfe motor is decent, but you wont be beating any V6's with it. Even with mods. Also a turbo is a no-go on this motor.

If your serious about performance you willl want to swap engines to the Alltrac GTFour engine 3SGTE which is stock 200HP turbo. Its almost a plug and play swap.

extremeskillz
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Does it take much to make these little things awesome? What am I looking at stereo wise and performance, and maybe just the body ... what am I looking at?

You can start with my cardomain and a lot of research on this site. thats what i did. This site gave me the courage to wrench on my car when i first bought. took me a 2 years of collecting parts and summer to put it all together. Im not done yet with the suspension but its getting there.

wizzards581
02-04-2008, 09:48 PM
have funnn.

scout99
02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Sweet, I'm not so worried about speed, just sounding nice and being mechanically okay. It needs a piant job but I might upgrade some things. But music is a biggy. And on that note when they replaced the wiring harness before we got it, the pioneer stereo wont work. My parents test drove it (I'm working all the time) and I dont have many details, but I would like to know if this is uncommon or not. I'm not a fan of pioneer anyway, but still.

Newbster
02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Read the first sentance wizard,.......

They probably did the wiring harness wrong for the stereo. You can find guides online on how to solder them yourself.

scout99
02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Would that be in a Haynes book? Or do I need something a lil' different???

Newbster
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
no, First thing you should do is buy a new wiring harness for the celica. On ebay they are about $5-8 I think. Each wire will have tiny print saying "Negative Left", "Negative right" "+12v", etc... You will then need to have a wiring harness from the stereo of your choice, and the stereos manual. In the stereo manual it will say which wire is which, and then you solder the matching wires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-1990-Stereo-Radio-Wire-Wiring-Harness_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38636QQihZ014QQ itemZ330187819445QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp 1638Q2em118Q2el1247

scout99
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Alright, stereo's I can actually do, but if anything else is screwy, I'm not so good. And I'm always afraid to take it to someone for fear of getting screwed out of money. (Thats what I get for being a chick in the car world tho... apparently...) thanks