PDA

View Full Version : New Celica News

MarcusM2007
02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
3 words... Oh My God

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6229094/asia/subieyota-update-toyota-celica-gt-four-alltrac/index.html

Hopefully it looks nothing like that though

extremeskillz
02-04-2008, 07:27 PM
About damn time Toyota!

19celica90
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
i dunno, i really like that. i has a 7th genish front end with the spider lights from the previous 6th gen. from the pics tho it looks like a really short wide bodied car. it will handle really really well im guessing. Both manufacturers have extensive knowledge in rally racing, so it will have only the best in suspension, gearning, handling and power. Although its nice, its killed by having a subie engine in it

VikingJZ
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I like that a lot actually.

Reminices both the sixth and seventh generations on the front while also incorporating the new Toyota front end design.

I'm for it and would buy one. I just don't like the Subaru idea, but maybe it will sell more cars. So long as Subaru doesn't market something that is the same car here with their logos on it, I'd buy it. Toyota is in desperate need of something sporty with all of the cool cars that are coming out within the next few years.

Rumors of the return of the AE86 are most likely going to be this car. It will probably be the Celica base model with absolutely no options on it, and a race-spec one without AC and that kind of stuff for even cheaper. Having an AWD turbo car back in the line up is more reasonable for Toyota instead of the muscle car they were rumoring bringing out to compete with the Camaro and Challenger, especially with the new CAFE standards; although I'm sure they could design a V8 with 35MPG.

Looks awesome though. Perhaps I'll buy one when I graduate.

EDIT: and just so you other Subaru/Toyota haters out there know, Toyota Motor Corporation owns a substantial portion of Fuji Heavy Industries--the parent company of Subaru.

Subaru's are great cars, but I would prefer an all-TMC car.

GT4SOM
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
about freakin time! I will probably hold off on buying a car untill something like this comes out

VikingJZ
02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
^Same here.

I refuse to buy a sedan and probably won't unless its a winter beater or something like that.

Lonestag
02-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Not many new cars I would buy,
I might consider this one though, espicailly if they get the details right.

Anyone know how well those boxer engines respond to aftermarket tuning?

remushair
02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Just wouldn't be right to pop the hood and see a Boxer engine under the Toyota badged hood.

wizzards581
02-04-2008, 10:20 PM
toyota designers of japan did say the celica has more chance of hitting the market before any supra. maybe their not lying..?

looks similar to the 7th gen.

KoreanJoey
02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
looks like a new IS to me...

Hiko
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Just wouldn't be right to pop the hood and see a Boxer engine under the Toyota badged hood.

^agreed 100%

I know I've already stated this, but this'll be the last time. It just seems like Toyota would not be producing a sports car if they simply bought a new subdivision's (kinda) sports car and re-badged it. The GT-4/Alltrac have a pedigree of being the competitors to these cars, not a copy of them with new badges.

To put it in perspective of a company/car we may not be overtly bias for, this is a little like if Isuzu bought Corvettes from GM, put new panels and badges on it, and started claiming they made a sports car. This pretty much amounts to the same thing, minus the fact that Isuzu doesn't own 20% of GM.

MarcusM2007
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
If more details come out by Fall then I'll be saving more for that instead of the 7th gen.

Trance4c
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Hopefully it looks nothing like that though

http://image.motortrend.com/f/asia/subieyota-update-toyota-celica-gt-four-alltrac/8250153+cr1+re0+ar1/toyota-celica-illustration.jpg

Are you kidding? Thats badass man.

remushair
02-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Honestly the only new car coming out soon is the new BMW M3! That thing looks so perfect! And the engine promises to be something special from BMW

VikingJZ
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
+2 on the badass styling.

TheNefariousOne
02-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Agreed. I can't see this being badged as a Toyota here in the States unless it undergoes a dramatic styling change from that picture. Lexus doesn't have a car like this in their line-up currently, so it could definitely be a possibility.

Either way, this makes sense for both companies. Toyota's focus is clearly not on the sport-compact market currently, so it would require a lot of R&D, etc. to get something up to pace. Going joint with Subaru takes a lot of the legwork out of the equation for Toyota, and allows Subaru to ride on the coattails of Toyota's successes as the number one auto manufacturer of the world.

If this car is actually released (though I'm not holding my breath, this is about the hundreth time I've heard of something like this), and does well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyota take a bigger stake in design and such in the next generation.

Guess we'll see, exciting news (if it's true) either way.

VikingJZ
02-05-2008, 12:10 AM
^Lexus isn't trying to appeal to 18 year old kids that want their first car out of high school. Toyota is the brand for this car, but has anyone contemplated that the car be a tC replacement in the US and possibly a Toyota elsewhere? That would piss me off because its more work I'd have to do to make it a Toyota. I don't like the tC and am kind of pissed Toyota quit making the Celica and then immediately made the tC.

juggernaut
02-05-2008, 12:18 AM
theres one things you guys are overlooking. no more inline 4. opposed 4 cylinder? you really have no idea what a pain in the balls they are to work on.. t-belts and head gaskets always go.

VikingJZ
02-05-2008, 12:21 AM
True, but recent Subaru engines are proving to be quite reliable. Yes, the boxer is a pain to work on, but if you don't have to do too much to it, its going to be a good car. Plus, you'll have a warranty, so most of that stuff is covered anyway.

Smaller engines are iconic for Toyota, and having this car with a small engine is the most likelt

VikingJZ
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
You're also forgetting that the base model will most likely have an every day inline four under the hood and only the GT-Four will have a boxer.

geebes
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM

x2...I like it though. I'm gettin excited!

Ghosty
02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
This is something I really didn't see coming...

here's the previous posts and articles about the Subaru + Toyota venture, and they all point to a new generation of AE86...

Earlier one (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30487)
Later one (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31374)

Methinks they were tossing around the idea of which sports car to resurrect for some time, couldn't decide between Supra, Corolla, or Celica. (Nobody's even mentioned an MR style yet... which is quite sad)

To add to previous sentiment, yes, this looks like a new IS. The circular headlamps are a dead giveaway. The champagne color the artist used for the paint job is another clue. The driving lights are a bit pointy like 7th gens, but everything else just says Lexus. How do we know the magazine cooked it up, or decided to run with Lexus renderings?

At any rate, I'm rather indifferent about the engine being Subaru. Hell, the engine in my ST is re-badged Yamaha. The GE heads are Yamaha, too. And the boxter format -- remember that some Celicas came with inline 6s -- yes they were "Celica Supra" or "Celica XX" in Japan, but "Celica" was always first.

I mean, we can debate for hours about what a "correct" Celica is. Is it inline six? Is it inline four? 2.4, 2.2, 2.0, or 1.8 Liters? Does it power the rear wheels, the front, or both? Is it supposed to be turbo, or NA?

What I'm more concerned about is if the feel of the car is a Celica, rather than the badging or the format. That is to say, sporty yet civil, inexpensive but a good value... something timeless... a car that you can worship.

cms-gt4
02-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I did a little photoshopping to maybe make this car more of a Gtfour in my eyes.

If I have time, I might mod it more.

I added a scoop, blacked out the grill, modified the bumper, smoothed out the fenders and got rid of that ugly suby in the back ground.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1802/newgtfourconceptdj0.jpg

geebes
02-05-2008, 01:26 AM
^ hells yeah.

VikingJZ
02-05-2008, 01:53 AM
NICE

What about with a full gold front bumper. I think that would remove any Subaruness left on the exterior.

If they did the black on the production car, I'd be surprised. But if so, I could just paint it.

Looking more at it, I see traces of the 92-2000 SC300. This becomes evident when one looks at the inner high beam housings and the body line that swoops around and back over the hood from them.

Lexus could pick up this car and make it more luxurious and make a new line of cars. Perhaps they could make it an entry level coupe, as they have the upscale SC430.

AC180 basemodel using a 1.8L engine, AC200 with the 2.0, and then ACwhatever for the boxer awd

VikingJZ
02-05-2008, 01:56 AM
^Shitty pshop I know...lol

Cavanagh
02-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Reminds me of the new IS and old school SC's. I love how the car looks, and would buy one as soon as it hit the market!

Joeye27
02-08-2008, 06:56 AM
:cool: haha i knew it all along it was just a matter of time.

i hope :bigthumbu

Frenchy
02-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I like the chop of the Lexus...

I can totally see them making that...

85gtsblackman
02-08-2008, 05:44 PM
theres one things you guys are overlooking. no more inline 4. opposed 4 cylinder? you really have no idea what a pain in the balls they are to work on.. t-belts and head gaskets always go.

you>:wedge:<me

you have no idea how much a fwd set up is a pain to work on, im starting to dislike working on my vert :yupnope:

and the only hg issues on a boxer were the old ej25d which had bad headgaskets from the factory, remember certain turboed yota motors like to go pop as well. i put 2,000 miles shy of 400,000 miles on a ej22 that i beat the shit out of , it spun a rod bearing at 6000ish rpm with me doing 140mph down a bridge (i was 16).

my last 5s randomly started knocking with only 130k, till this day no one knows why, goes to show you even the best designed engines have bad copies