PDA

View Full Version : Portland Int. Raceway Grand Re-Opening

remushair
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
February 23rd and 24th, PIR will be reopening it's gates. The track was repaved and there is some talk about the new turn 7. This is a free event and all are welcome. Lunch will be free. After lunch on Saturday, the track will be opened for pace laps behind Pro-Drive instructors and is just a $10 donation for three laps. Car and Motorcycle pace groups will be available. Saturday evening will also be the Test and Tune Drag Night, weather permitting.

Sunday will have lapping day with lunch included. The Oregon Region Porshce Club of America and an unamed motorcycle organization will be putting on this day.

Saturday Feb. 23rd.

10am-Ribbon cutting

10:30am-track walks conducted by pro-drive

12pm- free hot dogs and chips / bicycle tours on track

1pm-"touring laps" in your own street car or motorcycle w/ $10 donation per tour
1pm-Free skid car sessions available - donated by pro-drive

5pm-drags. tune and test, $25 donation
(weather permitting)

Sunday Feb. 24th

7:00-8:45am - REgistration and tech south paddock,
8:45am-9am - driver meeting in grand stands
9am-12pm - on-track sesions (25 minutes per group, rotating)
12pm-1pm - lunch, included with your entry
1pm-4pm - on-track sessions (25 minutes per group, rotating)

Auto Lapping sessions will be conducted by Porsche Club of America

Frenchy
02-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Can I ask a random question...

Why is there a mandatory donation?

http://m-w.com/dictionary/donate

Although, I understand you're getting free food and such, I think donations should be, if you feel like it... like those car washes high school cheerleading teams give out, they say donations welcome, and then get pissed when you dont pay them....

remushair
02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
the food is free, the donations only "have" to be made if you want to drive on the track. other than that, just show up, walk around, get free hot dogs and chips and leave. They just ask for donations and in return for making one, you'll get three laps on the track and that is 3 laps for every $10.

Sean
02-06-2008, 05:55 AM
No way the weather is going to hold out.

I'll be skiing at Mt. Baker that weekend :)

remushair
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
The weather is only going to determine weather the drag race happens or not

KoreanJoey
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
That's all Sean cares.

remushair
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
hahaha...well I got rid of the Celica yesterday. traded it for a 91 MR2 non-turbo...but it will soon have a swap done...I just didn't want to have a car that had a swap and transplants done that I knew nothing about. I'd rather take part in the swap and still have all reciepts for everything purchased. The kid I traded with has had 4 MR2's in the past...3 turbo'd. He just wanted the engine and flat out told me that! The MR2 is very clean...aside from having ugly ass blue wheels and lowered to much, the body and paint are prestine and the interior is all factory. I'll post pictures once I get the wheels repainted this weekend.

KoreanJoey
02-06-2008, 09:21 PM
We've got a 3SGTE clip up here in Tacoma. :)

remushair
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
What are you asking for it??? and is the 5SFE engine a good N/A base to use for tuning since I mainly do a lot of autocross, a turbo wouldn't yield much better results for time

KoreanJoey
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Well the big problem is... well... the MR2 is classed AWESOME as an NA E Stock FTW... as a turbo... well... B stock is tough.

remushair
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
So I've heard...I prefer to run against guys that are a little more prepared, car wise than me, that way it forces me to drive one step better to beat them. Hopefully just got hooked up with a set of OE springs for the MR2.. the guy is going to make sure he has them...said he had em a few months back, but needs to go dig through some boxes in his shop....I offered him 30-40 bucks for them...is that low ballen or about right???

KoreanJoey
02-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I dunno man, it's pretty awesome to take an NA MR2 and win PAX. :) That car is so far the only car I've driven where the index didn't totally screw me.

remushair
02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
That's good to know since I was running in either DSP or EP. the DSP was a larger group and usually had a few integra type-r's and other fast factory cars...But E prepared allow me to remove the rear interior of my car to lighten the ass for my style of driving....which will need to be tweaked a bit to drive an MR2...but I should be able to use the oversteer to my advantage...just need an LSD and get used to how it feels when the rear comes out...actually was drifting around in an abandoned parking lot last night...it's not that hard to control in the wet, but the dry will be a different story...but I won't try that till the car has suspension at least! Lol

KoreanJoey
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
well it's fine so long as you don't left off the throttle when you run out of courage.

remushair
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I noticed!!! Spun it out the very first time....Lol...but after my 3rd attempt I kept it sideways until I wanted to straighten it out. was just doing large donuts to get a feel...and I did them to the left and the right...the left turns seem to be a little more difficult but then again...no suspension doesn't really help...as well as LSD.

Do you know where I could get factory springs for a 91-92 MR2 for under $50???

KoreanJoey
02-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Dur... not sure.

remushair
02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I also hear that if you're a good enough driver, the 91-92 MR2's are better than the 93+ MR2's. The snappier oversteer is better for point and shoot driving which is exactly how I race! I'm kinda stoked to learn that information!

BTW, are you in the military???

KoreanJoey
02-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Not true, the 93+ is more stable, and a stiffer chassis setup in the rear, stiffer is always better.

You can tune your alignment and suspension setup to get a more controllable oversteer though. I can't remember what the setup was on the Zebra though.

KoreanJoey
02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
And no, I'm not in the military or was I ever in the military, if you're referencing the picture in my sig that's Joel (1sloceli). He was in Iraq and that was just a little part so we didn't forget him while he was gone.

Now he's back so... maybe I should change it, but man, Joel looks sexy in that pic.

:)

LAWL

remushair
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Hahaha...what i meant by the better control was that the 93+ has a more predictable handling characteristic than the the latter years, but if you are inexperianced, the 93+ is the better choice, but if you have a bit of knowledge of car control i.e. anyone who has ever taken cars to and past there limits and done so safely, the 91-92's are a little better because the oversteer isn't a bad thing to them. I'm hoping that I can figure the car out fairly quickly so that I'm competetive this year.

BTW, do you ever make it down to the Willamette Valley to autocross??? It'd be cool to run into some people either in salem with the Willamette Motor Club or in Eugene with the Emerald Club.

KoreanJoey
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
No not really... I usually stick w/ the NWR and WWSCC events. Hopefully I'll make it to some others but the dates are usually in conflict.

T-spoon
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
FWIW, I had a 93 with stock suspension (in fact, had almost 200k miles on it) and it drove considerably better than a 91 I had after it which had.. I believe TRD springs. Part of it could certainly have been that both had factory wheels/tires, and the 91-92 are smaller, but overall I think the 93 tweaks weren't just a predictability/feel upgrade, I think they were actual improvements.

remushair
02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
oh they were, but again for the average driver. They made the car more predictable and stable, but I drive so often that I learn a cars weakness and can generally use it to my advantage...understeer in a front wheel drive...just get the rear to slide more...snappy oversteer, just get the front to slide a bit more. that's what they did with the 93+ Understeer is more controllable than oversteer, but at the limits and done properly, the tuning can be setup to take advantage of the oversteering tendancy. It'll take me a at least a year or maybe less to dial the car in between autocross and track and street... i usually have multiple setups so that i can readjust between the places i drive...But I would like to drive a newer car then drive my car and see if I can find a happy medium...

KoreanJoey
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
No not just for the average driver, go check which E stock MR2s have won nationals, all of them were 93+

remushair
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't doubt that an "improvement" would hinder anything...especially from Toyota, but the 91-92's weren't bad, they just weren't as good as the 93+'s. I won't argue anymore since I have no comparison, but I believe that any car can be driven fast, you just have to find a happy medium for everything. I planned on upgrading the ass of the MR2 upon returning from the sand box, but for now, I'm just going to play around with it as is...

Actually pulling it off the road this weekend and dropping the engine. Just going to overhaul and refresh the whole assembly and check on my clutch, doubt it's a TRD which is what I'm told, and I'll be shocked if it is, but just want it running strong and clean again. Also, just put in an order for some Koni Yellow inserts and will be getting a set of Eibach pro and sport springs and see which ones I like better. Got a complete OE suspension from a 91 Turbo...just need rebuilt, but it'll be nice since they're already off the car!!! I'll be doing a step by step picture thread for it.