PDA

View Full Version : Celica STi?

Mr E
02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Almost certainly not true - I really cannot see it myself - but it's from a fairly reliable source...

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=493094

Murgatroy
02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
It is being talked about in another thread as well, with the link coming from Motortrend Blogs... It might be true.

I would like to see it.

Colossus20v
02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
that would be really cool. However I would like to see a flatter front like the RC back in the day. THe nose is too pointy for me sometimes.

But it would be cool to have a gt-four again.

geebes
02-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I am so friggin excited! Gentlemen, start your boners!

Mr Celica
02-05-2008, 02:45 AM
mm i miss celicas.

Slider
02-05-2008, 04:47 AM
That would be awesome

VikingJZ
02-05-2008, 06:47 AM
I heard when I was at the dealership that it may bow at the 2009 Detroit show for here in the states. It apparently is already going to be in production a full year ahead of America and might be ready for Japanese deployment in the middle of 2009.

We'll probably see it in 10 or 11.

Galcobar
03-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Hmmm...was doing some research on this and it looks like the cat was let out of the bag by Toyota's German head, and that the plans are for a European market launch.

Most complete article is:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/toyota-celica-replacement-coming-in-2009/

A subscription to europe.autonews is required to read the original article, which was concerned with Toyota's German head rejecting calls for the autobahn to be limited to 130 km/h for environmental reasons.

ronin
03-19-2008, 06:25 AM
interesting concept, but i doubt subaru would start doing 2 litre engines again after they dropped it 2 years ago. saying that, ive always said they should have made a GT-4 version of the 7th gen, so an 8th gen will be good enough for me. might even encourage me to upgrade.

grayscale
03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Hm, curious. Heard something of Toyota/Subaru joint efforts not to long ago so who knows.

85gtsblackman
03-19-2008, 10:45 AM
they already did, they are both part of fuji heavy industries

buttttttt....... (http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83699)

ciento44
03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm really not happy with the idea of putting a subie engine in a Celica... what's wrong with the most recent 3sgte out of the Caldina? It made more than enough power to move a Celica GT4 decently, if they make even a halfway concious effort to keep the weight around 3000lbs.

Would be a nice alternative to a WRX, maybe even an STi depending on gearing and such.

VikingJZ
03-19-2008, 02:54 PM
The 3SGTE can't meet a 35MPG or better rating when pushed to 300HP.

New engines can.

ciento44
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
The 3SGTE can't meet a 35MPG or better rating when pushed to 300HP.

New engines can.

Since when did Subie make an engine that got that kindof mpg?

geebes
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I think the 3sgte could make that good of mpg, if you are being really gentle.

The new sti's get 17 city 24 highway under the new guidelines, I bet in a light 2 door car it could get a lot better.

burnyd
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
my mr2 with the way that thing road got around 25-28 mpg on the highway! gotta love the final drive of a e153!

Cavanagh
03-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I want Toyota powerplant in Toyota car!!!

extremeskillz
03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
x2 on that statement, but unfortunatly we don't have a say in what they build....unless we do ctech petition!

PhillyDRFT
03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
x2 on that statement, but unfortunatly we don't have a say in what they build....unless we do ctech petition!

They don't care, they'll target us for cyber squatting for using the word Celica lol.

Theres nothing wrong with joint efforts, if you want to be that much of a purist. Look into how many of Nissan's designs subaru use. The Impreza family shares a lot in common with the Z family. Most commonly being design of parts.

The problem with the caldina's 3sgte? It's overly complex from what I've read. There not zipping around the states or at dealerships so I can't say it's truth from word of mouth alone. It would also have to be modified and redesigned to make it's HP mark without leaving a heavy carbon footprint and meeting Emissions standards. The ej25t already makes the HP and is designed for the US market.

There will more than likely be a toyota powered impreza soon. Subaru is hoping to reach out to the MPG demographic. April of 2007 Subaru and Toyota swapped engineers. This is what has come to fruition from .

I think since toyota is on their way to being the biggest automotice manufacturer in the world. Subaru is doing the right thing of keeping good ties with them. I have no problem with the same engineers from the STI team jointly working with TRD. As Long as it's not "Sport Pickups".

GT4SOM
03-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with this car. I can't wait till they come out in the states. (if they ever do) I will mostly likely be in the position to buy. I guess I'll just hold off on getting a new car. Maybe by the time this comes out, the scion Tc will be paid for and ready for a trade in. :D

grayscale
03-20-2008, 02:17 AM
That, and as we all know, a vast majority of your "Toyota powerplants" are from the minds of Yamaha. Subaru is a great partner, particularly for their depth of knowledge of all wheel drive platforms.

Wicked Toys
03-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Yeah this is talked about on all the celica/subaru forums I've been on.

Personally I like toyota cars with toyota engines but like stated its out of our control. If they do build the GT/GT-Four I will be in line to buy. Cause since I bought this WRX, these things have so much aftermarket support. So the GT/GT-Four wouldn't be hard to modify.

GT4SOM
03-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Yeah this is talked about on all the celica/subaru forums I've been on.

Personally I like toyota cars with toyota engines but like stated its out of our control. If they do build the GT/GT-Four I will be in line to buy. Cause since I bought this WRX, these things have so much aftermarket support. So the GT/GT-Four wouldn't be hard to modify.
Excellent point

Chris
03-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Shit, I'll pay for this. All wheel drive? yes please.