PDA

View Full Version : recommended RPMs

Toy_Celi
02-02-2008, 06:46 AM
what would be a good rpm for a eletric waxer so it doesnt burn the paint??

how about a good wax company? I was thinking about trying that ICE stuff.....

Slider
02-02-2008, 08:55 AM
For off the shelf stuff I would go with Meguair's NXT 2.0, easy to apply and it will last longer than that ICE stuff.

cs363
02-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Yep, hard to go past Meguiars (1st choice) or Mothers (2nd choice).

Regarding the waxer - if that's all you want it for (straight waxing/polishing) get a random orbital polisher. There are several good brands including Meguiars & Mothers own brands, Coleman, Porter Cable etc. Make sure you change the pads frequently for best results. I think you'll find Random Orbital polishers generally have a higher rpm rating due to the design. (around 3-4K from memory)
If you have paint defects that you are trying to clean up then you'll most likely need a rotary polisher, but these take a lot more care to use without burning paint edges etc and if you are not confident maybe best left to professionals.

Toy_Celi
02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Yep, hard to go past Meguiars (1st choice) or Mothers (2nd choice).

Regarding the waxer - if that's all you want it for (straight waxing/polishing) get a random orbital polisher. There are several good brands including Meguiars & Mothers own brands, Coleman, Porter Cable etc. Make sure you change the pads frequently for best results. I think you'll find Random Orbital polishers generally have a higher rpm rating due to the design. (around 3-4K from memory)
If you have paint defects that you are trying to clean up then you'll most likely need a rotary polisher, but these take a lot more care to use without burning paint edges etc and if you are not confident maybe best left to professionals.

Yeah my buddie with the mustang SWEARS by Meguiars.... he has a whole cabinet like 7 feet tall, 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep FILLED with all their products......

Audi90Quattro
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
If your using a random orbit buffer there really arent any rpms to speak of. What you should be more worried about is the opm or oscillations per minute. When using my porter cable 7424 for anything but wax/sealant application I always use speed 6 or 6000 opm. Anything lower and it takes forever for the polish/compound to break down. On hard paints including the new ceramiclear finishes on German cars you'll find a rotary works best but has a bit of a learning curve to it.

If your looking to do things by hand scratch x by meguirs works very well as an OTC product. For an AIO or all in one duragloss can't be beat. Clay your car then use the 101 or 105 cleaner polishes for great oxidation removal and long lasting sealant protection.

For a beginner I'd reccommend a Porter Cable 7424/7336 or a UDM. A few pads and some light polishes and you should be ready to go.

Stop by Autopia.org for some reading on polishing/waxing and how to properly wash your car to reduce further marring of the paint.

Toy_Celi
02-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Cool, thnx for the information

VikingJZ
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Craftsman sells a great beginners orbital polisher for roughly $30. I have one and still use it .

I prefer paste wax over liquid by Mothers.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Ya one of the detailers at my work uses a DeWALT polisher http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=173 (this one i believe) and another one uses an orbiter, dont know what kind it is but i do know its heavy as hell....

Toy_Celi
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I prefer paste wax over liquid by Mothers.

Why is that??

KoreanJoey
02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
www.griotsgarage.com

Toy_Celi
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Time to make a poll lol i wanna know whats best

Galcobar
02-08-2008, 01:52 AM
The difference between paste and liquid is basically the ratio of water-to-wax (or polymer, or acrylic depending on the product). Liquids are easier to use, but pastes have fewer VOC emissions, and can be better controlled, plus require less setting time.

Toy_Celi
02-08-2008, 05:56 AM
The difference between paste and liquid is basically the ratio of water-to-wax (or polymer, or acrylic depending on the product). Liquids are easier to use, but pastes have fewer VOC emissions, and can be better controlled, plus require less setting time.
hmmm.....sooo paste?

85gtsblackman
02-15-2008, 12:03 AM
for a beginners i suggest zymol cleaner wax especailly on old paint, my gt-s with its 1991 paint job still shines like new with it even after rain anfter rain, megires didnt do that

you should do this though

clay bar or light grade rubbing compound
polish
wax, to seal polish, wax hood roof and trunk lid 2-3 times

now for the pros, why didnt you guys mention klasse products

Toy_Celi
02-15-2008, 02:24 AM
ok cool thnx, i needed to know since i was thinking about future paintjob/future celi and now im scraping 1k together for it.... so far im at...... $165.... which = /fail

85gtsblackman
02-16-2008, 05:53 PM
your only a few hundred dollars short of macco

Audi90Quattro
02-16-2008, 11:20 PM
now for the pros, why didnt you guys mention klasse products

I didn't mention Klasse products as I think they are ones out there that do a better job for the money. Duragloss is an OTC product that delivers the same if not better results than Klasse AIO paired with Klasse SG. Duragloss is usually cheaper too.

Also with the Klasse sealant glaze if you apply too much product, its a real PITA to remove. The sealant glaze is better applied with a machine to allow a thin even coat.

Toy_Celi
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
your only a few hundred dollars short of macco

lol yeah but they are ripoffs... and im really concentrating on the new celi because me and the wife need it for getting to and from work/school/home.... we are getting a new place and i need to get a set of working wheels...