PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Doors

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Whats the best way to stop them from freezing shut during teh winter months?

medivh66
12-01-2004, 05:02 AM
dont know about the doors themselves but if you keep some wd40 in the locking mechanism it should prevent them from freezing up.

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 05:03 AM
ya. i dont seem to have anyprobs with the lock its self freezing. its just the door and window freeze shut. riped my door handle off last winter cuz of that. and had to climb in though the trunk several times :(

DrPaine
12-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Hrm, constantly keeping the hinge oiled and what I do is alwasy have the door seals coated with a rubber conditioner so they last longer and so far, last winter and this fall, I havent had a single problem

Schmleff
12-01-2004, 05:05 AM
wax your door seals with real carnuba wax, the clear stuff.

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 05:05 AM
where can i find this rubber conditioner that you speak of?

Luni
12-01-2004, 05:11 AM
where can i find this rubber conditioner that you speak of?
I bet some Anal Lube would do the trick just fine.

Oh forgot that stuff is water based.

haha Im sorry guys, I had to bust Jasons balls on that one.

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 05:14 AM
i just happen to have some of that too ;)

mikeswickednick
12-01-2004, 06:28 AM
pure silicone lubricant. cant go wrong there! no corrosive additives and is made for weather seals

-Mike

DrPaine
12-01-2004, 06:37 AM
pure silicone lubricant. cant go wrong there! no corrosive additives and is made for weather seals

-Mike

Yep either spray silicone or even better, Meguires rubber conditioner!! It comes in a black spray bottle. Available at auto stores or walmart for about $6 or so

Sean
12-01-2004, 07:52 AM
I conquer with everything thats been said, anything silicon based!

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 07:55 PM
i think i got some silicon spray in the garage.

thanks guys

85gtsblackman
12-03-2004, 12:58 AM
i had that problem in my beater when i was in pa

the ghetto way to use it is use sum ky jelly on the rubber and metal parts

followed by pb blaster in your locks, and doorhandel assembly

Rayme
12-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I remember using real silicon, the type that gets semi hard, it can be easily peeled off when the winter is over, and it works too :cool:

Snafu
12-03-2004, 07:17 PM
dont know about the doors themselves but if you keep some wd40 in the locking mechanism it should prevent them from freezing up.

That's not good advice. Yes, WD40 will keep it from freezing, but that's about the worst product to throw into your lock assembly. WD40 dries out the locking mechanism. Try putting in some graphite lubricant, it usually comes in a dry powder form. DO NOT USE WD40. Silicone lubricant works well, as well as lithium grease.

Adam
12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
i put pam on the weather stripping last year and that worked, but it got the window dirty on the edge, but who cares, clean it when winters over.

Blackcloud
12-06-2004, 11:34 PM
had it happen yesterday after i washed the car. :hihi:

both doors were frozen shut as well as the mechanism. tried to shut my door after i opened it and the it would not close due to it being so frozen. LOL

fiveSFE
12-07-2004, 01:32 AM
never had this problem here in tucson az. lol

Slider
12-07-2004, 04:16 AM
I heard vaseline also works for the rubber seals

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 04:59 AM
I heard vaseline also works for the rubber seals

dude here at work just told me about this

85gtsblackman
12-07-2004, 06:41 AM
vaseline or ky jelly works.....which is what i said before

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
id use the KY one something else.. hehe

ChrisD
12-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Hmm. I would say just dont wash your car in the winter when it is below freezing. :hihi:

But I know you can still get freezage in the winter months regardless. Done it more than I care to speak of.

I usually don't worry about it, and if it is stuck you can usually get your fingers in the door crack enough to pull it open. If that doesn't work try the other door. If you can get in there, push on the other door to open it. The worst thing is to use the door handle. I've seen plenty of those snap off in the cold.

Always keep de-icer in your pocket.

BTW for those that might try. Blowtorches DONT work as well as you'd think. You'll end up melting the locking mechanism parts to crap, and still be locked out. Yes I've been owned by the cold a few times. :rant:

Sean
12-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Chris, its kind of embarrasing to climb through your passenger door, or even the rear hatch. :lolhittin

Aha! Vaseline is what i used on my car a long time ago! I remember now!

carlosfandango
12-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Vaseline is great for lot's of stuff as it doesnt dry up and has a very low freezing point. but trigger de-icer is needed in addition, I know you can't constantly walk around with a bottle of deicer in your pocket.. lol.. but its good for first thing in the day, just dont leave it in the car.. lol..

Mister2T
12-15-2004, 04:01 AM
yeah i would use vasaline.

ChrisD
12-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Chris, its kind of embarrasing to climb through your passenger door, or even the rear hatch.

LOL...yeah I have never iced my celica doors shut, but my accord *several* times and my Dakota a few more. Oops. Once my dad decided to wash the accord when it was -40 out. I went to work and when I came out to the car at like 11 I was fuuuucked. Thats where the blowtorch incident occured. Which didn't work, and ended up fucking up the locks. :slap:

Vaseline is great for lot's of stuff as it doesnt dry up and has a very low freezing point. but trigger de-icer is needed in addition, I know you can't constantly walk around with a bottle of deicer in your pocket.. lol.. but its good for first thing in the day, just dont leave it in the car.. lol..

I do. :hehe:

85gtsblackman
12-16-2004, 09:53 AM
USE ASTROGLIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:saythat:

:hehe:

Galcobar
01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Any rubber protectant/conditioner will do the trick -- a better quality one will improve the seal by keeping the rubber flexible, and won't mess up the window.

My windows iced shut the first winter I owned it -- dressed the seals and never had the problem since. Just make sure to dress the door and door frame seals, all the way around. It's too easy to rip the seals from their mounting if one point sticks.

Locks -- dry graphite -- no WD-40!!!

skreem
01-04-2005, 10:09 PM
whenever that happens to me i grab the handle and pull by the bottom of the door so i dont rip the handle off.

TRDmkII
01-04-2005, 11:53 PM
haha, i have a garage i park in at home and at work...never really have to deal with this problem anymore, happened once in my old car....