PDA

View Full Version : E-brake question.

Kelly
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
When I set my e-brake in the driveway yesterday with the car in neutral it rolled down the driveway backwards a bit when I got out. I had to jump back in and pull it up another click(all the way back)and it finally held. It has not had to be pulled that far before and I was wondering if there is a way to test to see if it's broken or just needs to be adjusted? I just bought the car about a week ago, and i'm not going to be happy if it already needs a new e-brake. It's a 2000 GT(manual transmission)if that helps.

Thanks!

extremeskillz
01-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Probably just needs to be adjusted. the adjustment as far as i know in in the rear disc/drum setup in the rear brakes. Ill let someone here more technical explain but thats how you do it. could be different in the 7th gens.

Kelly
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Probably just needs to be adjusted. the adjustment as far as i know in in the rear disc/drum setup in the rear brakes. Ill let someone here more technical explain but thats how you do it. could be different in the 7th gens.

Thanks for the info anyway, any help is appreciated. I am trying to avoid having to ask my boyfriend for help so I can also avoid the MR2 > Celica trash talking. :bigthumbu

extremeskillz
01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
haha. did you try this sites BGB section to see if theres a guide for you to follow?

extremeskillz
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Never mind heres a direct link

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/bgb.php#7th

Kelly
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
haha. did you try this sites BGB section to see if theres a guide for you to follow?

Not yet, but I will do so now. I am sort of just floating around checking everything out still.

extremeskillz
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
sounds good. you look new here so Welcome.

Shadowlife25
01-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Should be able to adjust the tension in the cabin. Remove the surround and it's a couple 10mm nuts that get tightened. No big ;)

Kelly
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
sounds good. you look new here so Welcome.

Thanks. I appreciate the fact that unlike a lot of sites you didn't jump on me with the usual "noob" comments and such.

Shadowlife25
01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
So how'd you find C-Tech? Just curious :)

extremeskillz
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the fact that unlike a lot of sites you didn't jump on me with the usual "noob" comments and such.

No problem, once you get your feet wet you'll enjoy your stay here on this site. Many nice people here.

Kelly
01-28-2008, 09:52 PM
So how'd you find C-Tech? Just curious :)

I am on MR2OC quite a bit b/c my boyfriend has an MK1 MR2 that I absolutely love and when I bought my Celica and saw that Celica-tech was sort of a sister site to MR2OC I figured I would give you guys a chance.

Shadowlife25
01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Nice! Glad you tripped on over this way. Hope you learn lots.

-Mario

donteatbugs
01-28-2008, 10:18 PM
celica is always the prefered platform over the mr2.

Kelly
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
celica is always the prefered platform over the mr2.

I guess, personally I enjoy both and I am still looking to pick up a supercharged MK1 if possible. When I went to buy my car it was between the 2000 Celica GT and a 2001 MR2 Spyder but I felt too closed in while driving the MR2 and it didn't feel half as responsive as the Celica.

Galcobar
01-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Far as I know, Toyota hasn't changed its e-brake handle design, so what works for fifth-gens should work for seventh-gens.

Adjusting the parking brake lever:

Should be 4-7 clicks to get proper engagement with moderate force.

Remove the centre console to access the adjuster. On the right side at the base of the handle there will be a threaded rod with a flat nut and a long nut. The top nut locks the position of the lower nut. Loosen the locknut (top) while holding the adjusting nut (bottom), then turn the adjusting nut until the handle travels 4-7 clicks when pulled, then tighten the locknut onto the adjusting nut.

If you have the owners manual, it should contain the adjustment procedure.

hobbie2k
01-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Welcome!

donteatbugs
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
you should have gotten an mr-s and put a 2zz in it. and then later on supercharged it. that would be one crazy ride.

Fuelish
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Slightly O/T, but just adding a question, here : I read somewhere that in a car with rear discs, the parking brake pads will last the life of the car as long as only used for parking makes some sense, can someone correct me if I'm wrong (I realize that cable adjustments might be needed due to cable stretch over time, and all, but as long as you're not using the p-brake to slow/stop the car, pads will likely be life-long, no ? I'd be willing to bet that, especially in northern cars, the p-brake drum will rust out before the pads are toast ;) )

Just wonderin' if what I'd read sounds right to y'all ???

extremeskillz
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Slightly O/T, but just adding a question, here : I read somewhere that in a car with rear discs, the parking brake pads will last the life of the car as long as only used for parking makes some sense, can someone correct me if I'm wrong (I realize that cable adjustments might be needed due to cable stretch over time, and all, but as long as you're not using the p-brake to slow/stop the car, pads will likely be life-long, no ? I'd be willing to bet that, especially in northern cars, the p-brake drum will rust out before the pads are toast ;) )

Just wonderin' if what I'd read sounds right to y'all ???

thats sounds about right. the e-brake is used strickly for parking a manuel vehicle if on a hill and such and on a auto if you don't want the transmission to settle on the parking pin. e-brake is and "EMERGENCY" brake just in case you loose your power brakes and have no alternative but pull the lever.

Lonestag
01-30-2008, 08:16 PM
If the 7th gen and 5th gen are anything alike, I just tightened my own ebrake (it was really loose) and it took maybe ten minutes. I took some pics in case i got in trouble, they are in this thread here.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31847

I have more pics if you think they could help you.