PDA

View Full Version : Auto to Manual question...

METDeath
01-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Has anyone here done the auto to manual conversion and stuck with the auto ecu?

Friend of mine told me that it would make my tach read incorrectly. Any truth to that?

Toy_Celi
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
search it dude, some guy was asking about it in another thread.....

why would the incorrect RPMs matter? Cant you shift by sound and feel?

TheNefariousOne
01-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Your buddy is wrong. The RPMs aren't measured at the transmission, only the speed. The auto ECU will work fine, you just have to swap a few wires inside the engine bay to set up the neutral safety switch.

grayscale
01-27-2008, 03:44 AM
There is no neutral safety switch on the manual unless you mean fooling the ecu into thinking there is one in which case you could probably use the clutch safety switch for that. I just read some where a guy mentioned he uses the auto ecu with his manual conversion and claims that this also bypasses the rev limiter and something else.

METDeath
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I read the swap stuff on toyotacelicaonline.com or w/e... and I kinda figured he was lying about the tach. Just wanted to see if anyone had actually done the swap and left the ecu or not...

I think he's just upset that he didn't install his tach right, and now with a supra tranny on his tacoma he really thinks it's off.

TheNefariousOne
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
D'oh, clutch safety switch is what I meant. And yea, it works fine for me, no issues whatsoever with the auto ECU with the manual swap. I've never even touched the rev limiter though, so I can't comment on that.

METDeath
01-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I have no intention of messing with the rev limiter. Just going manual for increased power further down the road this year.

bzdweezy
01-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Just wondering what kind of transmission are you going to put in?

METDeath
01-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Either a E153 w/LSD if I can find it, or a S53. Either way going with a 300+ HP clutch, and Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. I find a couple every now and again on craigslist, but never get any responses, quite aggravating.

bzdweezy
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
oh ok because i have the same car as you and i was thinking about doing a swap also since my auto trans is starting to slip. how much do you think it'll cost you?

METDeath
01-31-2008, 02:56 AM
Honestly... I have no idea... I know several shops have quoted me $400-$600 in labor, if I bring all the parts to them.

Running total so far is just $300 on the flywheel, as for the rest of it... some junk yards around me, I can get trannies for $50 (got a mint seat for $20 and a working cup holder for $2 last trip). So it'll probably be about a grand total... since the clutches I'm looking at are around $300 as well.

As far as the swap itself goes, I'm not looking to have it done until after the Dragon meet, just so I can be calm and not worried about little things like shifting... that and I need to get new springs and KYBs all around... the 17x7s help A LOT with traction, can't wait to see what the rest will do.

Regarding your slippage, have you checked your fluid?

bzdweezy
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah i changed the fluid and replaced it with some Lucas Trans fix 4 months ago, it helped for about 2 months but its starting to get worse. So i'll probably have to rebuild my auto transmission, or just swap in a manual(my engine and transmission has 220,5xx on it)