PDA

View Full Version : You have got to be kidding me

Lonestag
01-26-2008, 05:47 AM
So this morning it was like 0 degrees out. I went out and started my celie and turned on the defroster. I came out about 10 minutes later to find a VERY unpleasent surpise. My windshield had a crack running all the way from one side to the other. I have never even heard of this happening before, but i'm guessing it was the sudden heating.

It just pisses me off, I can't afford a new windshield right now.

I'll try to get a pic when I get back from this weekend tour.

celicatrd93
01-26-2008, 07:58 AM
damn that sucks big time, sorry to hear that, i guess drive it till it get really worse. how bad is it?

Lonestag
01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
REally pretty bad, but it's not all the way through. I hope I can find a used windshield to replace it...

Toy_Celi
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
REally pretty bad, but it's not all the way through. I hope I can find a used windshield to replace it...

I would let you have mine, but you live so far away, the transport would cost as much as a new one.....

burnyd
01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
yupp weather is so bad on this side of the country.

grayscale
01-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Try www.safelite.com They did my 6g for $155, and quoted $171 for the 5g. Nice glass, they do it on the spot, only took about 30min, and they travel pretty far for customers. The cheapest deal I could find.

MarcusM2007
01-27-2008, 06:32 AM
i actually had the same thing happen to me this winter. it was about -10 out and i turned my defrost on full blast while the car warmed up and i came back to a growing crack. B-E-A-UTIFUL

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
01-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Down here in FL, you could get that replaced for free!!!...any crack in the windshield that is bigger than a dollar bill in length, you can get replaced for free...if it is smaller/shorter than the dollar bill, then you have to pay for someone to come out and "patch" 'er back up...but of course if its not longer than a dollar bill you dont have to think long and hard to find a way to get around that ....heh...

505celicaGT
01-27-2008, 07:21 AM
just get some scotch tape =P

but that sucks big time. it gets to about 22 degrees here in the morning times. guess ill look out for that too.

Ghosty
01-27-2008, 08:30 AM
damn, I didn't know that could happen...

... I'm going to watch it with the defroster now!

juggernaut
01-27-2008, 06:23 PM
yeah its actually quite common. it happened to my father last winter. hes got a jeep wrangler. turned on the defroster and cracked the glass.. what u gotta do is put the defroster on low, at 75-80 degrees. as the car warms up, defroster temp gradualy increases. helps prevent this from ever happening. one more thing, ive heard a lot of stories of people doing this. NEVER DO THIS! some people are late to work, and they have to clean their car off in a rush. ive heard of many peole boiling water, then taking it out to the car, and dumping it on the windshield. the majority of the time, it just destroys the windshield. if you're lucky, it wont damage the glass. so.. do you feel lucky? not worth the $150 risk in my opinion

Toy_Celi
01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
yeah its actually quite common. it happened to my father last winter. hes got a jeep wrangler. turned on the defroster and cracked the glass.. what u gotta do is put the defroster on low, at 75-80 degrees. as the car warms up, defroster temp gradualy increases. helps prevent this from ever happening. one more thing, ive heard a lot of stories of people doing this. NEVER DO THIS! some people are late to work, and they have to clean their car off in a rush. ive heard of many peole boiling water, then taking it out to the car, and dumping it on the windshield. the majority of the time, it just destroys the windshield. if you're lucky, it wont damage the glass. so.. do you feel lucky? not worth the $150 risk in my opinion

$150 RISK??? lol.... $150 is like nothing....but its only $50 less than wut i bought my celica for!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

VikingJZ
01-28-2008, 06:06 AM
East of the mississippi sucks right now.

That blows that that happened. I, too, have never seen or heard of that phenomena before. I just hope it doesn't happen to my SC. I wouldn't even begin to guess the price of that.

andy
01-28-2008, 06:08 AM
was a brisk 60 degrees today, i had to get my coat.

juggernaut
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
$150 RISK??? lol.... $150 is like nothing....but its only $50 less than wut i bought my celica for!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
well i dont know how much a windsheld costs.. but you see my point? a lot of guys on here payed $500 or less for their celica. i payed $300 for mine. cheap car, expensive windshield..

KoreanJoey
01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Man I wish I got my car for that cheap.

Conrad_Turbo
01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
It gets cold here in the winter (-15 deg F right now and -45 deg F with wind) and I've never heard of a windshield cracking from the defrost being too high. I even have small stone chips in my windshield and have yet to see any of them spread.

hobbie2k
01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
My Camry did something similar. It was a CA car and it's first MN cold snap caused a small crack in the lower left corner, that within two weeks ran up to the upper left corner. Fortunately, I had full glass coverage...

Generally if something like that happens it was because there was already a chip or crack in the corner that you couldn't see.