PDA

View Full Version : Hypermilers Chime In

VikingJZ
01-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Has anyone here seriously tried it? I mean, most people that do it own hybrids or small cars like the Corolla. You can do this in any car.

I would love to see even 35 MPG in my SC. :)

Lonestag
01-25-2008, 06:31 AM
I used to frequent a hypermiler site. It was cool, but overall, I found more resources here then there as far as boosting efficency.

Last summer I drove 140 miles a day for a commute (70 miles each way) and I was getting paid intern stlye, so I had to stretch it.

I tried the following:
Switched to synthetic oil
Ripped out as much weight as I could
stayed well under the speed limit
installed a short ram intake with a K&N cone filter

All and all I ended up with getting about 33.6 mpg (over about 500 miles of testing) which isn't amazing, but isn't bad for a 17 year old car with a fuel tank leak (it's fixed now)

I think if I stretched it a bit more with Emanage and even more weight loss, I could probebly get it up to 35-37mpg.

It is a lot of fun, and more lucrative then just trying to squeeze more power out of the 5sfe

Frenchy
01-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Want to clarify?

85gtsblackman
01-25-2008, 07:45 AM
my dads 4speed auto 08 legacy gets 32mpg hwy @ 80mph

and that on a n/a boxer engine turning all 4 wheels with a slushbox which is not known for fuel economy

now my legacy...i wish, i get worse gas mileage when its cold, summer to fall it get 28-30mpg hwy, now its like 26-27 hwy and 22-23 city. It was worse but i swtiched from semi synthetic to regular plain 10w30 gtx, milage went up, go figure :luvydunno

gts gasmilage , i need to check after modding everything, it was about 22-25mpg on a omghighmilageengine a year ago

Murgatroy
01-25-2008, 09:41 AM
I consistently get ~35 in Chaos.

david in germany
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
33-34 in the ST with the winter tires (195-55-15) and as well as 38mpg with normal summer tires 185-65-14's both average speed 60mph

grayscale
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I think if I stretched it a bit more with Emanage and even more weight loss, I could probebly get it up to 35-37mpg.
You can stretch that even further by using an ignition box like an MSD or Jacobs. I gained about 3-4mpg from my MSD.

hobbie2k
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
My totally stock Cobalt saw 35.9mpg on the way from Chicago to Minneapolis (about 400mi), through hilly southern Wisconsin. It's a base LS with a manual and no options. So relatively light weight.

Now, with temps regularly below zero driving around Minneapolis, I'm lucky to see 30...

The E-150 van I drive for work reported a 7.7mpg figure last time I filled it up. But it has a hard life. It's two years old, get's driven four times every work day, and still has less than 7000 miles (very short trips). If I don't let it idle while I'm making my deliveries it will never warm up. So it's almost always running cold, rarely goes above 35mph, and is constantly starting and stopping.

VikingJZ
01-27-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm reading more into trying this on my car.

If you think about it, you can hypermile any car. I read on MSNBC that some guy got 84MPG with a regular-ass Ford Ranger.

pretty impressive for something that usually gets around 20.

KoreanJoey
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
There are entirely too many hypermilers around here... you know that because half of the population tries to stay under the speedlimit and go aimlessly around cloverleaf onramps...

VikingJZ
01-28-2008, 06:02 AM
You liv in WA. There are tons of hippies with hybrids that are laughing at everyone for complaining on gas prices.

To be honest, I'm not complaining. We have the cheapest gas out of any free nation in the world, have it readily available. We do use entirely too much though, which is why I cut down as much as possible. When its nice out I walk or ride my bike around town.

I cut down on excessive speed and driving like a hardass. I mean, I still go 60 in a 55, just because I think the 55 is a gay speed limit and that you'll get to your destination for a mile every minute.

60 just makes more sense to me.

Anyway, I know there are tons of sites for hyper but I haven't had time to read most things yet.

tuner4life
01-29-2008, 12:56 AM
^:laugh: Bull Shit!!!! You never walk, and I've never seen you on a bike!!!! :lolhittin

tuner4life
01-29-2008, 12:59 AM
My dad has tried to hypermile his prius, and he is able to get tons better mpg's (close to 90mpg). It works best on hills. Drive at a fairly fast pace down the hills, and coast back up the next ones. But the prius recharges itself when coasting, so I'm not sure about regular cars.