PDA

View Full Version : Celica Fuel Cut issues

remushair
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Ok again, i'm new to the celica world and this forum so I'm not sure i'm in the right place. I was recently introduced to fuel cut....while accelerating onto the interstate, I was getting kinda heavy on the throttle and at about 5K, it just shut down??? After wards, if I got on the gas a little to heavy and got into boost by about 3-5 psi, it'd happen again. Then after about an hour, it was fine and I could get into boost again. This is an 86 Celica GT-S with a swapped 3s-GTE out of a 94 MR2 from my understanding. I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's still using the Celica Fuel pump....what would be the best route to take for relieving this issue???? Rising rate FPR or adjustable FPR, new injectors, filter, fuel pump, ECU tune???? Also, cruising down the interstate at 80mph at 2700RPM, (V6 Camry 5spd) my EGT is around 1000-1200 degrees!!! I'm new to turbo's but isn't that a bit hot for just driving normally??? I think it's my fuel pump, but I'm not sure. Help??

burnyd
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
if your cutting out at only 3-5psi I dont think its fuel cut, prolly something else... you might want to check your codes. I believe fuel cut is 54 But I cant remember... everytime it will fuel cut your computer will store that code.

remushair
01-25-2008, 12:17 AM
well not consistently. If I stay in boost for extended time, it cuts. My boost gauge is reading close to 12 psi, but don't quote me since I don't really monitor my gauges while I'm driving like that...rather watch the road. But my boost starts coming on full power about 4500-5000 grand all the way to redline at 7200. If I go full throttle, I can make it through one gear to red line, then I get fuel cut a little after I shift...my friend has a subaru and he was having fuel cut issues after he swapped to the JDM legacy turbo...installed a bigger fuel pump and it went away, as well as a new FPR. That's what i feel like is happening with this situation.

burnyd
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
well, I seen what you posted in the last thread about not being sure what gen motor you have... no if you have a USDM motor and it is a 2nd gen 12psi + will cause you fuel cut. Post some pics of your motor setup so we can tell what gen it is first....

Its nothing to do with the actual fuel pump I ran a NA fuel pump for a long time. Its in the factory computer so that your motor doesnt blow up lol!

burnyd
01-25-2008, 12:23 AM
okay just seen the other thread.. I see the EGR valve... then I see the egr valve sensor right next to it.. so its definately a USDM swap.

Chances are you are experiencing fuel cut.. theres a few stickies here on how to eliminate fuel cut.. it will happen after 12psi.

In most cases if you cap the Boost pressure sensor it will most likely get rid of the fuel cut.

remushair
01-25-2008, 12:23 AM
That's my second guess... pictures on the other thread. The oil filter threads in right between my turbo and alternator with the opening facing down...does that help...

remushair
01-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I did read that article...one of the first I searched for, but at first I didn't feel like that was the problem.

BTW, I'm getting way better results with you guys than I did with Toyota Nation...but their pickup forum was kick ass. (I have an 83 toyota pickup)

The Captain
01-26-2008, 01:44 AM
Ok again, i'm new to the celica world and this forum so I'm not sure i'm in the right place. I was recently introduced to fuel cut....while accelerating onto the interstate, I was getting kinda heavy on the throttle and at about 5K, it just shut down??? After wards, if I got on the gas a little to heavy and got into boost by about 3-5 psi, it'd happen again. Then after about an hour, it was fine and I could get into boost again. This is an 86 Celica GT-S with a swapped 3s-GTE out of a 94 MR2 from my understanding. I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's still using the Celica Fuel pump....what would be the best route to take for relieving this issue???? Rising rate FPR or adjustable FPR, new injectors, filter, fuel pump, ECU tune???? Also, cruising down the interstate at 80mph at 2700RPM, (V6 Camry 5spd) my EGT is around 1000-1200 degrees!!! I'm new to turbo's but isn't that a bit hot for just driving normally??? I think it's my fuel pump, but I'm not sure. Help??

If you hit the fuel cut the ECU goes into "limp home mode". This will not allow you to use any boost. The only way to reset is to shut the car off and restart.

remushair
01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
the limp home mode rings a bell. after my fuel cuts, it just studders and spudders if it goes up to even 2psi. It's not hard to drive my car without boost. tons of torque!!! And idling, my car reads about 17-18 VAC psi. That means I have pretty decent compression still in the engine right?

remushair
01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok, I have pictures of my engine bay posted in a thread labeled New to CelicaTech. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31817

Could you put the picture of my engine in MS Paint and draw an arrow or something to the vacuum line that I need to pull and cap and the sensor that reads the boost pressure...as I said guys, turbo is a whole new world and word to me....I know where the turbo is, what it does, and how it does it, but that's about it.