PDA

View Full Version : problem! huge problems!

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
okay so i was putting in a new clutch and well my collection of bolts that i took out in order to take out the tranny and what not and i went in today to put it all back on and the bolts are missing! ahhh! i wanna cry lol but yeah so does anyone have any idea where or how to find replacement bolts for everything i had to take out? since i dont know any of the sizes or anything
please help meeeeee

zmile06
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Go to a junk yard and get it? Otherwise ur going to pay one arm and one leg for the bolts.

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
ahhh yeah thats what i was afraid of. i figured the dealer would want my right arm and a left nut hah damnnnnn

Sean
01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Just go to the hardware store, bring an example of what you need and buy some quality bolts. I believe there M14 and M12, not sure on the pitch and length that you need...

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
well the problem is i dont have an example and they were all different sizes for everything like the starter and all that other fun stuff

donteatbugs
01-24-2008, 03:03 AM
the dealer is your best bet, other than a junk yard. they can show you all the bolts and you pick out the ones you need. vip09 had to do that a while back for his underbody.

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
the dealer is your best bet, other than a junk yard. they can show you all the bolts and you pick out the ones you need. vip09 had to do that a while back for his underbody.
yeah i figured i would go to the dealer get ya know the screws i need or see if they would let me know all the sizes and get them cheaper at a hardware store? how much do you think the dealer is gonna make me rip off of my body? hah

Carolina91GT-S
01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Search Ebay. There is a guy in NC that sells boxes of bolts from Toyotas that he takes apart before they go into the crusher. It's like $10 for a 50 lb box....you will definitely get what you need out of it.

celicaGT90_05
01-24-2008, 04:14 AM
I vote junk yard, my favorite yard around here would be like, a couple bolts huh? Just take them

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Search Ebay. There is a guy in NC that sells boxes of bolts from Toyotas that he takes apart before they go into the crusher. It's like $10 for a 50 lb box....you will definitely get what you need out of it.
well how would i know which bolt goes where?

Carolina91GT-S
01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
well how would i know which bolt goes where?

You should be able to work it out...I know it isn't helpful and I don' want to sound like a jerk...but if you can't figure that out with a ton a bolts in front of you then you shouldn't have taken your car apart.

1. There aren't that many different bolt sizes on your car so you aren't dealing with a huge number to sort out.
2. Most of the bolts don't fit into the holes you need to fill (they are too big or too small). Toyota rarely uses more than one bolt of any given size with different thread pitches.
3. Some of the ones that fit that fit won't screw in a ll the way because they are too long, don't use those.
4. Some of the ones that fit will be too short and not allow you to seat them and ultimately install your part, don't use those.
5. More than one length of bolt will fit your specific hole sometimes, no big deal, use which ever one makes the most sense.

KoreanJoey
01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
^I'm with stupid.

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
You should be able to work it out...I know it isn't helpful and I don' want to sound like a jerk...but if you can't figure that out with a ton a bolts in front of you then you shouldn't have taken your car apart.

1. There aren't that many different bolt sizes on your car so you aren't dealing with a huge number to sort out.
2. Most of the bolts don't fit into the holes you need to fill (they are too big or too small). Toyota rarely uses more than one bolt of any given size with different thread pitches.
3. Some of the ones that fit that fit won't screw in a ll the way because they are too long, don't use those.
4. Some of the ones that fit will be too short and not allow you to seat them and ultimately install your part, don't use those.
5. More than one length of bolt will fit your specific hole sometimes, no big deal, use which ever one makes the most sense.

hey yeah thanks honestly i didnt think anything through too well cause of the lost bolts and yeah everything you said is so true i just yeah didnt think it all through hah lol thanks

yankee7568
01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Can I ask how you lost a bucket of bolts?

5gen91st
01-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Can I ask how you lost a bucket of bolts?
hah yeah thats what im trying to figure out!

yankee7568
01-24-2008, 02:52 PM
haha maybe someone stole them.

wizzards581
01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
junk, and label them. or else go to the dealer. it shouldnt cost over $100.

Carolina91GT-S
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
... or else go to the dealer. it shouldnt cost over $100.

That noise you just heard was the fabric of space-time tearing itself apart. Honestly, If I had a dollar for every time I thought exactly that and then found out it wasn't true....

celicaGT90_05
01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
while taking out the transmission on my grand prix, I made sure to keep everything in bags and keep them together. I would seperate them accordingly to make sure I wouldnt lose track of which one went where. It is ALWAYS good to do something like this no matter what, I got in the mode of where I do it almost every time now unless I'm doin something real quick that wont require much tear down nor will cause loss of screws/bolts. Usually putting bolts back in speakers for itself, bolts that are used often vary for their purpose and you'll learn real quick which one goes where, and as long as everything is properly secured, there wont be an issue

=cJ=
01-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Yup, ice-cream containers are my friend for this reason... :D

The main rule to folllow with ya bolts is if it don't fit, don't force it... :P